Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tempers are running a little short these days in Oregon (and everywhere else, I suspect). Shootings in the Portland area are up and the only thing good about it is their abysmal marksmanship.

Then we had what happened last night...

We got a call from EMS that they were inbound with “a gunshot wound to the face”. Potentially bad news. When he arrived, he was awake and in a lot of pain, with a jagged laceration and a lot of bruising to his right cheek. He was off to CT scan and then the maxillo-facial surgeons took him off to put the bones of his mid-face back where they were supposed to be.

A little later, one of the county deputies came in to ask some questions. He took me out to his car to show me the weapon that had done the damage.

This was a new one for me...

Now, I’ve seen AR pistols before, but what this guy had done was take the buttstock off of a carbine-sized AR (I’ve seen that before) and then he took off the buffer tube (and the buffer, buffer spring, etc.).

Yeah, that wasn’t going to work well.

Apparently, he and some of his fellow social club members decided to take this “extremely shortened” AR to do a drive-by shooting of a house where some people belonging to a different social club we’re staying. It looks like he had the back end of the AR near his face when he pulled the trigger...

Then something happened that he hadn’t expected.

It looks like the bolt came straight out of the receiver at some speed and hit him about a fingerbreadth below his right eye, fracturing the zygoma and causing a LOT of trauma to the surrounding soft tissues.

To add to his troubles, he will be arrested once he’s released from the hospital - the charges (so far) are assault with a deadly weapon and felon in possession of a firearm.

Now, I’m still trying to figure out how this guy ever thought this rifle was going to work. Surely, the bolt must have fallen out when he first pulled the charging handle to put a round in the chamber. I try to never underestimate the stupidity of people, but this exceeds my already low expectations.

·
Registered
70 Posts
There is Karma! Sounds like the genius got an instant lesson in AR gun design. Buffer tube kinda matters...

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Your stories prove fact is stranger than fiction. It reminds me of a line in the movie Snatch, “never underestimate the predictability of stupid.”

Let me propose an alternate theory. Perhaps the gun had the buffer tube removed after the pistol was loaded. Modifying a loaded gun doesn’t sound like a stretch for this brain surgeon. Got it loaded and then looked at it and decided, it’s too long, this screws out, right?

But who knows what was going through the head of these guys. Sure one guy got hurt but he didn’t do it alone. There were a couple guys there rubbing brain cells together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
"The Real Deal"
6,373 Posts
Tempers are running a little short these days in Oregon (and everywhere else, I suspect). Shootings in the Portland area are up and the only thing good about it is their abysmal marksmanship.

Then we had what happened last night...

We got a call from EMS that they were inbound with “a gunshot wound to the face”. Potentially bad news. When he arrived, he was awake and in a lot of pain, with a jagged laceration and a lot of bruising to his right cheek. He was off to CT scan and then the maxillo-facial surgeons took him off to put the bones of his mid-face back where they were supposed to be.

A little later, one of the county deputies came in to ask some questions. He took me out to his car to show me the weapon that had done the damage.

This was a new one for me...

Now, I’ve seen AR pistols before, but what this guy had done was take the buttstock off of a carbine-sized AR (I’ve seen that before) and then he took off the buffer tube (and the buffer, buffer spring, etc.).

Yeah, that wasn’t going to work well.

Apparently, he and some of his fellow social club members decided to take this “extremely shortened” AR to do a drive-by shooting of a house where some people belonging to a different social club we’re staying. It looks like he had the back end of the AR near his face when he pulled the trigger...

Then something happened that he hadn’t expected.

It looks like the bolt came straight out of the receiver at some speed and hit him about a fingerbreadth below his right eye, fracturing the zygoma and causing a LOT of trauma to the surrounding soft tissues.

To add to his troubles, he will be arrested once he’s released from the hospital - the charges (so far) are assault with a deadly weapon and felon in possession of a firearm.

Now, I’m still trying to figure out how this guy ever thought this rifle was going to work. Surely, the bolt must have fallen out when he first pulled the charging handle to put a round in the chamber. I try to never underestimate the stupidity of people, but this exceeds my already low expectations.
Great story, bet that hurt. Think it falls under natural selection.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Let me propose an alternate theory. Perhaps the gun had the buffer tube removed after the pistol was loaded. Modifying a loaded gun doesn’t sound like a stretch for this brain surgeon. Got it loaded and then looked at it and decided, it’s too long, this screws out, right?
That's the explanation that occurred to me too. Once the gun was loaded and the bolt locked, removing the stock, buffer tube, spring and buffer would be easy without the bolt following them out.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,373 Posts
Only thing the buffer retaining pin an spring would like fly out, and the rear takedown pin, spring and detent would also come out too, meaning you would have to hold the upper and lower togather.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
It may not have his beer but I'd bet someone close was holding something while he did his modifications.

·
Super Moderator
21,086 Posts
Guess he never heard of Newton's Third Law. I can hear the conversation though, just take it off it will only get in the way.

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
Agree! "I try to never underestimate the stupidity of people, but this exceeds my already low expectations." Seems as time goes on all expectations of stupidity get lowered with humans.
*The sad thing this felon will be back out sooner or later and back preying on society. Taking another "shot" at the low stupidity level award! Leaving the rest of us to pick up the pieces and put them back together. Hopefully no innocent's are hurt here. Could have been much worse for him too. Ouch! Do you really think this guy learned a lesson?!

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Him (obviously not being a "rocket scientist"), might have just figured AKs are short with a pistol grip, why can't my AR be the same and removed the buffer tube and could add a swivel stock like the AK later. Also, watched waaaaaay to many movies showing people shooting AKs through the sites (not from the hip) with the stock folded in and figured the AR would work the same. ...just a thought to add.

The LAW states very plainly felons can't have weapons. Must not have been able to read, might be something to learn while he's doing time. another felon in possession of a firearm, who'd a thunk. o_O

1 - 20 of 29 Posts