Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I bought a one man chair blind yesterday at Academy and I must say I am pretty impressed with it. It is very small, lightweight, super easy to set up and has just enough room inside for me, my gun and a backpack. It even has that new blind smell to it.

My question is, how do I get rid of that smell? I like it, but I doubt the deer will. I plan on airing it out plenty, but I have a tent that is 7 years old that still has that same smell. Should I toss some pine needles in the carry bag with it? Spray it down with odor eliminator? Anything else I can do?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Putting it in a Rubbermaid tote with a bunch of evergreen branches wouldn't hurt along with airing it out for a while after a wash in th tub with some baking soda. Just a thought it works for hunting clothing . Best of luck enjoy the hunt.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I left mine out and let it "off-gas" for a few days.
But I don't think the smell of new vinyl is a danger smell for deer, like human scent.
They seem willing to walk up to a plastic feeder.

Love my chair blind.
Was in it one time when a bad rain came.
Just picked the chair blind it up and walked out.
Looked like a walking mushroom, but I stayed dry.

·
Super Moderator
21,486 Posts
You could try some scent neutralizer spray but I would just set it up and leave it outside for a couple of days. Anothe idea is set it up and wash off with a baking soda solution.

·
Banned
4,779 Posts
Just leave to weather outside for a week and it will settle down.

·
Registered
162 Posts
All great suggestions, but every year i take my hunting clothes, my backpack and anything else that would maintain an odor into the garage and hang everything up, i then get out my trusty coleman cookstove a big pot of water mixed with black dirt, oak leaves, acorns and pine needles and boil for 2 hours letting the steam soak into the fabrics and then finish hanging outside until the season starts. Works great even with brand new jackets or bibs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts