Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like the Forums opinions on the best rifle to hunt all 50 states. From wild hogs in Bell Florida to costal grizzlies in Bethel Alaska (Whitetails in any state, Mule deer , Moose, Elk, Antelope etc.). I know that every one has a favorite caliber, as do I but I'm looking for the one caliber that I can ethically hunt with. I know the argument heavy bullet vs. light I just want a good caliber that can get the job done (30-06, 308, 45-40, 270, 35 Remington (my personal favorite) etc).

Thank you for your opinions

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
It might be a tad light for Grizzlies but with the right bullet and the ability to shoot it well and shoot it accurately, it would be my 30-06 . Magnums are nice but bullet placement counts and I shoot the 30-06 better than any of the magnums . My Granfather taught me to always make the first shot count and where you placed that first bullet mattered most .
Lots of bullet / ammo choices available for all the game you have listed .
What rifle ? One that FITS you ... mine is an old 1903-A3 Springfield Sporter built on a walnut stock blank from Herter's ... dimensions fit me to a "T" so shooting it accuratyely comes natural . If you ever find a a rifle who's stock fits you like a glove ...buy it ! Fit is important to good shooting in the game field.
Gary

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
I'll go with the 30/06 too. Nothing in North America it won't kill. Huge choice of bullet weights and types.

·
Registered
23 Posts
CZ 550 in 9.3x62. Handles everything from squirrels to Brown bears. Ok may be a little much for squirrels head shots only. It is accurate enough for head shots on squirrels though.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I am first going to say that I don’t believe in the one rifle concept. It’s a good idea in theory, but at least in my reality when you are hunting, especially if it’s a hunt that you traveled for, taken vacation time for, perhaps hired a guide or outfitter, I want the best tool available, not the one to do it all.

But I digress. I think the best “one” is a .30-06. Very versatile, easy to shoot and ammo is available everywhere. But then again, I am partial. The first centerfire I bought was a .30-06 and even when I go on a hunt with a more specialized rifle, most of the time that .30-06 still comes along as a spare should anything happen with the primary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
476 Posts
One rifle? What a silly concept unless you are carrying it everywhere you go .... on foot. But to play along, it would be hard to argue with Jeff Cooper. Given an adequate variety of ammo and the ability to change scopes my Gunsite Scout (.308 Win) could handle anything needed although a bit light for Polar Bears and I would hate to carry it up a mountain chasing sheep.

Bruce

·
Registered
264 Posts
A bolt-action rifle that fits you well and and chambered in 30-06 and Never Look Back..
Bullets are available from 100 gr. up to 250 gr. Plenty of power, but not overwhelming and most folks can tolerate the recoil well enough to accurately place that all important 1st bullet!
LOTS of "specialty" bullets as well as cup & core bullets (that have been dropping critters since - ? ? ? ? - that's right! Since 1906!

WYT-P
Skyhunter

·
Registered
529 Posts
I have a fair number of rifles and enjoy owning them. But some days I wonder if I would have been just as well served with one .270 or .30-06 bolt gun with a nice scope. I have a couple such guns and they have whacked what I have and will hunt pretty hard. They would be pretty light for an Alaskan bear and perhaps not the best varmint rifles but otherwise pretty capable rifles.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am first going to say that I don’t believe in the one rifle concept. It’s a good idea in theory, but at least in my reality when you are hunting, especially if it’s a hunt that you traveled for, taken vacation time for, perhaps hired a guide or outfitter, I want the best tool available, not the one to do it all.

But I digress. I think the best “one” is a .30-06. Very versatile, easy to shoot and ammo is available everywhere. But then again, I am partial. The first centerfire I bought was a .30-06 and even when I go on a hunt with a more specialized rifle, most of the time that .30-06 still comes along as a spare should anything happen with the primary.

There was a time when I thought the 3006 was the best “one” , that was before I got my 9.3x62. If I could only have “one” now it would be my CZ550FS in the 9.3x56. It would be sufficient on everything from pachyderms to coyotes. Plus if it is a survival situation it doesn’t tear up a lot of meat. It is truly a one shot rifle as I have never had to shoot anything more than once. In a grab and go survival situation a pistol rates a poor second choice.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have a GSR in 308 setup as a traditional scout with the forward mounted scope, Ching sling. The Jeff Cooper single rifle concept covered personal defense also and not necessarily the most versatile hunting rifle.

The 30-06 cannot be beat for versatility. With reasonable shot placement is well capable of taking any North American big game. The rifle would be dependant on what attributes you value the most. Lets just choose a Hawkeye Guide.

Reactions: knifegeak

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you'll for your opinions I was leaning towards the 30-06 myself. I know one rifle is a unicorn, but I'm hoping to travel light.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
A custom Drilling with one .22 Magnum, one .30-06 and one .375 H&H barrel. Why buy a unicorn when you could have a Tricorn.

·
Super Moderator
4,061 Posts
CZ 550 in 9.3x62. Handles everything from squirrels to Brown bears. Ok may be a little much for squirrels head shots only. It is accurate enough for head shots on squirrels though.
Beat me to it. The 9.3x62 is the 30-06 of the rest of the world. I too hate the one rifle concept but if that godawful day ever arrives mine will be a 9.3x62. I own four of them. A CZ 550 American, a Ruger African, a Ruger #1 and a Cooper. If I had to pick only one of them it would be the CZ. YMMV

Reactions: knifegeak

·
Registered
23 Posts
Variety is the spice of life. I shudder to think of only having one rifle. I currently have 11 all in different calibers because after all, variety is the spice of life!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts