Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Exchequer
4,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know that I disagree with the first four listed in this blog piece. But the author lost me completely with number five ....and proved that he/she is by no means an "expert" nor someone I should trust for firearms advice when referring to "clip" capacity.

Cave Armor

·
Registered
49 Posts
I find I have to agree with you considering his last choice. His reasoning sounds exactly like he read it somewhere. My own opinion is that the worst carry piece is the one that you just don't seem to carry all the time for one reason or another. The very best carry piece is the one that is so comfortable and easy to carry that you always have it. Of course it must be dependable but if it's not on you it doesn't matter how reliable it is. A five shooter tucked safely away on your person is a whole lot more protection than the 20 rounder you have at home. Hopefully saying this won't insult anyone but, I think that a lot of guys who carry picture themselves defending humanity in a protracted gun battle. You're not a cop. If you can get away do it and if you can't the fight is likely to be settled in far less time than it takes you to fire off all 17 rounds and insert your spare magazine. Don't get me wrong. If your piece is easy to carry and it holds 17 rounds there's nothing wrong with that at all. So much the better. But only if it really works and you're not just telling yourself it's fine.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
15,997 Posts
The article was obviously written by someone without real time experience .... just parroting what he has heard from other sources. I would replace the 5th gun with a Ruger Charger .... pretty hard to conceal.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Sounds like maybe English isn’t his first language. Good job, but the syntax and choice of words are off a little.

·
Premium Member
2,621 Posts
Iowegan nailed it. Granted, everyone has their own opinion on things...but when you express said opinion it should make some semblance of sense. His doesn't!

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,658 Posts
Author HLG cites is a revolver hater. Bulky? Hard to conceal?

Clearly the would-be gun-writer never carried a Kimber k6 or Ruger LCR. I discounted the author’s other choices right there. I feel no need for more than 6 rounds, as my goal is to get away from trouble, not endure a prolonged firefight.

Carry what you shoot best. I do well with an all metal snub. Case closed.

My experience in criminal justice work revealed that most armed crooks neither maintain their guns nor carry a reload, anyhow.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Based upon terminology used, they don’t have much clout in my book.

They created generalized observations about the North American Arms (22 WMR) and revolvers (namely a 442 S&W, S&W 640 357 Magnum 5 Shot or Kimber K6S)

The worst handgun to carry is the one you don’t carry, do not train to use, do not prepare to carry appropriately, do not have an understanding of limitations of a gun or a gun you cannot handle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Instagram
Muzzleblast_MD

·
Registered
69 Posts
His name is Lauren. So, less likely to be a guy. Too many think of revolvers from what they have seen in the movies and no one with any real experience with wheel guns.

·
Super Moderator
21,070 Posts
The article was obviously written by someone without real time experience .... just parroting what he has heard from other sources. I would replace the 5th gun with a Ruger Charger .... pretty hard to conceal.
As to the Charger hey Dillinger used to conceal a sawed off shotgun in his pants and had a reputation for having .............oh never mind.;)

·
Registered
447 Posts
I don't know the Honor Guard personally so I cannot form an opinion. I do not own a R-51, but I would carry one. I do own a Hi-Point 40, I would not carry one due to bulk and weight, other than that it is 8+1 single stack, reliable pretty accurate, good sights, reliable, much love in Chicago, proven killer! NAA I have and carried one in 22 Magnum, for six months before my 380 fetish kicked in. Revolvers I have carried a five shot J frame 38, seven shot J frame 22 Magnum, still carry at times, a Colt Detective Special, six shot 38, I have two to choose from, and finally I more often carry my Ruger LCR six shooter in 327 Federal Magnum.

Based on that maybe I should look at a Honor Ground.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,253 Posts
Did she open each paragraph with “while?”

I wrote better than her when I was in high school.
Also, did she forget to state the main problem with the Honor Guard? All I got was “the other problem.” 🧐

·
Registered
350 Posts
If you read the comments farther down the page, she (Lauren) writes:
"I definitely know what you mean. When I first started shooting, everyone told me to try a .38 special revolver for several reasons. I went to the shooting range and tried about 10 different handguns expecting that the revolver would be my favorite.

Surprisingly, my experience was quite the opposite. I shot one round and never picked it up again."

SO she is not recommending a revolver because she had the same brand newbie experience that a lot of people, both male and female had: The "helpful" person at the range hands her (or him) a scandium feather weight snubbie. One shot and that person has sworn off of all revolvers for life.

I KEEP MY L FRAME 686 for people like that, to try a few shots to see for themselves that revolvers can be great guns and a lot of fun to shoot, as well as being accurate out to well over 25 yards.

AND, BTW, I'm not a large person, but that 686 was my concealed carry gun for quite a while, until I became (Lord help me) A Glock Girl. No longer a Glock Girl am I, but I was for over 15 years, and they weren't tiny little things either.

Lauren, whoever it is, knows crap about guns. It is a shame that anyone is subjected to reading her junk.

·
Registered
6,160 Posts
As soon as I saw the term “clip capacity” used in reference to revolvers, I suspected that the author isn’t quite as experienced as she/he (I know of a guy named “Lauren”) might think they are.

Frankly, I haven’t carried or even fired any of the first four “worst handguns to carry”, so I can’t opine on them, but I’ve carried revolvers plenty of times. The Ruger SP101 is a long-time favorite (and packs a real punch) and I’ve even carried a J-frame S&W. Both were easy to conceal, reliable and accurate enough at conversational distances.

Now, the absolute worst carry handgun I’ve seen carried was a Desert Eagle in .50 AE. The guy was carrying it under a raincoat, so concealment wasn’t the problem (although it would have been during the warmer months). The problem was that he drew it and fired it one-handed and (I suspect) hadn’t practiced firing it one-handed much (or, in all probability, at all).

He missed his assailant by a country mile - if his recollection of where everyone was standing was correct, he was off-target by about 15 degrees (that’s 900 MOA for you rifle shooters). Fortunately, the robber fled the scene after the first shot had scorched and deafened him, so I guess it worked, after all.

·
Registered
151 Posts
She writes about the hipoint: "They also have bad handling and the recoil is quite extensive."

Quite extensive. lol I never heard of recoil described that way.

And to think, millions have been laid off or furloughed who were doing their regular jobs day after day without issue before this virus. And she probably got a raise. lol

1 - 20 of 53 Posts