Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'm going to try and be really careful in how I word this. (For once). :rolleyes:

This is coming from a position of complete ignorance about this type of rifle. Never even held one. Don't really want to know details at all, but have wondered for years. The problem is this could easily slip into "illegal" territory and that's not where I want to go.

After all that, what I'm curious about is how easy it is to switch the AK47 (and similar I suppose) from semi to fully auto? Assuming you were somewhere where it was legal and you had easy access to any parts you might need. Again, no details, but is this something a casual gun guy could figure out or is this gunsmith territory?

·
Registered
173 Posts
This topic is against forum rules. Just saying

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This topic is against forum rules. Just saying
Only if you're not going to actually read the question instead of reacting to the topic.

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
Despite what you might hear on the news media, "AK47s" made in or imported to this country cannot be easily converted to selective fire. Of course, a competent gunsmith could do it, but a competent gunsmith can probably convert any semi-automatic firearm to fully automatic.

BTW, I put "AK47" in quotes because the AK47 was superseded by the AKM (Avtomat Kalashnikova Modernizirovanniy) in 1959, when they finally worked out how to make the receivers from stamped sheet steel instead of having to mill them. So, AK47s have milled receivers and, incidentally, are pretty rare. For some reason, since having this pounded into my head years ago, I always wince inwardly when somebody calls the stamped steel AKM an "AK47".

Jim

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Despite what you might hear on the news media, "AK47s" made in or imported to this country cannot be easily converted to selective fire. Of course, a competent gunsmith could do it, but a competent gunsmith can probably convert any semi-automatic firearm to fully automatic.

BTW, I put "AK47" in quotes because the AK47 was superseded by the AKM (Avtomat Kalashnikova Modernizirovanniy) in 1959, when they finally worked out how to make the receivers from stamped sheet steel instead of having to mill them. So, AK47s have milled receivers and, incidentally, are pretty rare. For some reason, since having this pounded into my head years ago, I always wince inwardly when somebody calls the stamped steel AKM an "AK47".

Jim

I did not know this. I always thought they were always made from stamped steel. Good info.

·
Banned
2,657 Posts
No gunsmithing required at all. God gave you two hands. Learn to bump fire. ;)

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Jim
Hey, I told you I didn't know nuthin'! :D

Sorry 'bout the wince and thank you for the info. Interesting.

·
VRWC Charter Member
2,014 Posts
I guess, with the AKM (thank you for that tidbit, laidlerj!) being the terrorist firearm of choice, the next logical question would be: "How many potential terrorists are 'competent' gunsmiths?" :eek:

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Same as converting a semi auto ar to full auto. Easy if you know what you're doing and have the right parts and tools, not easy if you don't.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I just wouldn't go there.. Seriously..

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
It is fairly simple. The internet will provide copious amounts of information regarding it. The problem you're going to run into is parts availability.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,414 Posts
It is fairly simple. The internet will provide copious amounts of information regarding it. The ( major ) problem you're going to run into is parts availability.
A minor problem would be tin foil hat material, who's monitoring which videos you're watching.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts