Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's the Taurus

And here's the LCR

This is not a which is better thread. I bought the Taurus as I've discussed elsewhere here and I'm fine with it and it shoots fine. But I did a head to head today and they're just quite different guns. The Taurus has a great three fingers on the gun grip. It's natural for me and I like that. And I can conceal the whole gun in my hand if I want. The LCR is a hide the pinky gun and there's no way around it.

But...you see how the Taurus grip goes up higher than the LCR grip? So your middle finger is right behind the trigger guard? Yeah, after about 25 that hurts. After about 40 it's no fun at all. Yet with the LCR I feel like I could shoot it out of my hand if I wasn't really paying attention. Like if I really needed it.

I'm happy with the Taurus as it was bought for a very specific SD function and it does that very well. It'll go in either the front or back pocket of my jeans and comes out very easily. The LCR would be fine for that also (for $150 more). But neither would ever be a fun gun and neither would ever be shot more than necessary to maintain proficiency.

(The big momma deer that set off the alarm last night was not intimidated by the Taurus!) :D

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
they're just quite different guns. The Taurus has a great three fingers on the gun grip. It's natural for me and I like that. And I can conceal the whole gun in my hand if I want. The LCR is a hide the pinky gun and there's no way around it.
Sure there is - Pachmayr Diamond Pro grip. There's also the SA option on the Taurus which is either a plus or minus depending on your view. I'll stick with my LCR357 but glad to hear the Taurus is working well for you.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I don't own either of those guns but, I see your reasons for liking the Taurus. It seems that they are making some pretty good products at attractive prices these days. Even if the little snubby is uncomfortable to shoot after 25 or so rounds, that is a non issue for a SD weapon.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Truth be told, I was kind of looking for a lightweight revolver , I honestly don't "like" the whole plastic revolver trend, but I have looked at both of these, and they are very light weight. I wanted something I can stuff in a Belly Band, and my SP101 doesn't quite cut it. It's way too heavy.

I don't like autos, it's taken me several decades to finally stop "trying" to like autochuckers, they are handy tools but I don't prefer them. I bought an LCP and gave it to my Mom.

I need a lighweight .357 for trail running and hiking, would probably load it with .38's for "walking around" type stuff but want the option to load .357's for some of the trails I run down.

The price of the Taurus is attractive since I've seen these used so cheap at gun shows it seemed like they were free, but I'm a Ruger guy, and if I'm going to risk having to touch off a .357 in a plastic revolver I want it to be in a Ruger. It would seem wrong to me to pass on the Ruger version, and go with a Taurus to save a hundred bucks. Not bashing Taurus, I've owned several of them, and still have a few laying around. They work, I've carried the all-metal 85's numerous times. But if I'm face to face with a pack of meth heads or some kind of aggressive critter I'd feel a hell of a lot better reaching for a Ruger than pulling a Taurus and hoping now is not the time something breaks. Maybe it's just me, I had an M380 Taurus revolver that failed on me at the range, so now I'm kind of "wary" of trusting them for defense.

Now, the new .327 LCR further muddies the waters, because now I'm looking at getting one of those, with Buffalo Bore's .327 "+P" it adds another option.

Right now I'm broke, so I have to use what I've got, but for next summer and fall's "running season" I'll probably get an LCR.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
I own the Ruger LCRX .38 Special +p and I will only shoot standard pressure stuff in it!! My CCW ammo is some 90 grain JHP Hornady Critical Defense standard pressure that is actually pleasant to shoot but this stuff hits POA for me @ 7-10 yds I can get some decent groups with it. The Taurus looks like a nice gun but actually seems to be a tad larger to make it harder to conceal if you are wanting to do pocket carry but even my LCRX seems to bulky for pocket carry thats one reason I am thinking about a small .380 for pocket carry gun.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
The Taurus guns that work are pretty good guns, those that don't aren't. You got to buy it to find out which you get. I did it once before I knew better.

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
Truth be told, I was kind of looking for a lightweight revolver , I honestly don't "like" the whole plastic revolver trend, but I have looked at both of these, and they are very light weight. I wanted something I can stuff in a Belly Band, and my SP101 doesn't quite cut it. It's way too heavy.

I don't like autos, it's taken me several decades to finally stop "trying" to like autochuckers, they are handy tools but I don't prefer them. I bought an LCP and gave it to my Mom.

I need a lighweight .357 for trail running and hiking, would probably load it with .38's for "walking around" type stuff but want the option to load .357's for some of the trails I run down.

The price of the Taurus is attractive since I've seen these used so cheap at gun shows it seemed like they were free, but I'm a Ruger guy, and if I'm going to risk having to touch off a .357 in a plastic revolver I want it to be in a Ruger. It would seem wrong to me to pass on the Ruger version, and go with a Taurus to save a hundred bucks. Not bashing Taurus, I've owned several of them, and still have a few laying around. They work, I've carried the all-metal 85's numerous times. But if I'm face to face with a pack of meth heads or some kind of aggressive critter I'd feel a hell of a lot better reaching for a Ruger than pulling a Taurus and hoping now is not the time something breaks. Maybe it's just me, I had an M380 Taurus revolver that failed on me at the range, so now I'm kind of "wary" of trusting them for defense.

Now, the new .327 LCR further muddies the waters, because now I'm looking at getting one of those, with Buffalo Bore's .327 "+P" it adds another option.

Right now I'm broke, so I have to use what I've got, but for next summer and fall's "running season" I'll probably get an LCR.
I have to chuckle when the LCR is referred to as a plastic gun.
I have an LCR357, LCR9 and LCR22 -- none of which are plastic guns.
The LCR357 and LCR9 are solid stainless steel tools that get the job done.

"Patent pending polymer fire control housing holds all the fire control components in their proper dimensional relationships, reduces weight significantly, and helps reduce recoil.

Monolithic frame which supports cylinder and barrel, ... in the powerful LCR-357™, 9mm Luger and .327 Federal Magnum models are made from blackened 400 series stainless steel."

High-Strength stainless steel cylinder is extensively fluted (reducing weight) and features an Ionbond Diamondblack™ finish for excellent durability."

I am with you on the autos.
I have a Glock 26 and an LC9 Conversion that are great firearms and fun to shoot, but they are for HD.
My EDC is the LCR9 (I like the 9mm ballistics and the moonclips) and the backup is the LCR357.
I especially like the internal hammer -- not possible to snag on my pocket or cause a ND. ... :eek:
The standard hoque grips fit my hands perfectly and I have fired 300+ rounds in one session more than once.
I have over 2,000 rounds down the tube in both the LCR9 and LCR357.

You need to acquire the firearm that is right for you, but the Ruger LCR is no sissy. ... ;)

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I know I use the word "plastic" kind of as a joke:)

Like I call all the Glock and Glock-clone guns "plastic poly poppers" or "plastic fantastic":)

I'm not so much an "old" guy at 35 years old, but old enough to have fired my first guns in the late 1980's, when "plastic" wondernines were first appearing at gun ranges and my Dad's S&W 586 6" wasn't "vintage" or "retro", it was a main choice for a HD or receational gun....cops that came to my school to give talks about drugs or whatever still had a wheelgun in their holster........you went to a gun shop to look for a good overall gun for defense and the dealer would show you a S&W or Ruger revolver.......now they show you Glocks........ I remember the "scare" because people watched Die Hard where they said the "terrorists had Glocks,made of ceramic and plastic and will pass right through a metal detector" and hardly anyone knew what the heck a Glock was in the late 80's.......and everyone thought people were just going to carry these things into Airports undetected....

So much has changed in a short period of time, I guess I just don't like change, and can't shake the idea that an all-steel revolver is still enough for any of my handgun needs. But the guns like the Poly Protector and LCR definitely have a use, very light and effective for carry. Technology advances,and the wheelgun stays with us, just different types come out.

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
Well stated.
Understood.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts