Ruger Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

in your experience what's the best bullet for the reloading of 44 mag with hodgdon H110.

at the moment i have these bullets type:

fiocchi SJSP 240Gr
Partizan FMJ swc 240Gr
sierra sp 300 Gr
Partizan RN coppered 240Gr.

I exclude the coppered one , I think they are more suitable for no magnum load, ex N340 powder

according to my tests I have obtained a good result with the FMJ bullet Type but I have a doubt: considering the type of powder (H110) do you think that is better the FMj or the sjsp type? take note that the sjsp have a jacket base while in the FMJ the base is lead.

Thanks for you suggests and sorry for my bad english!!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Personally I use the Nosler 240gr JHP. Right now it's all I use for range work and SD. You can get a box of 250 for around $50 at Natchezz. Another good powder you can try if you don't want to use the Magnum primers is Ramshot "Enforcer" I get very good performance and only need standard large pistol primer.
mazer

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the suggest , About the powder I will try to see if it is availabe in Italy. Do you think that the H110 is more suitable with a lead bullets or FMj?
I prefer don't use a lead bullets in order to avoid excessive
residues in the barrel.
have a nice we

·
Registered
549 Posts
Any or all of the bullets you have on hand are approprate to use with H-110. That is one of my favorite powders for magnum loads. I use a variety of bullets in .44 mag, up to a 300 gain SP. but the one used the most is a 240 Grain SWHP gas check, that I cast myself. That bullet, over 23 grains of H-110 makes a potent load. I also make some mild loads, with this bullet, using, "Trail Boss" powder. 5 grains of TB gives you about 750 fps, a load you can shoot all day without making your hand and wrist sore.......Robin

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Do you think that the H110 is more suitable with a lead bullets or FMj?
H110 and W296 can be used with some lead bullets with a Gas Check, but most, not.

It's a propellant for top end performance loads, and has never shot well in any of my rifles or handguns at anything less than max, and maybe a hair above that. It's also at it's best with heavier bullets as far as accuracy goes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you shoot VV N110 for 44 Rem Mag and do not hesitate. The consistency of the powder is impressive and with pressures less than their premium Hogdon the H110. If you want loads for 240 gr JHP or Lead, gladly let me know and I'll put you here.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Well, it certainly does depend. Now Lee makes a 310 mold that takes a gas check that I really like, and sizing it to .430 works in my SS SBH but not in my 77/44. So since I wanted near MOA out of the rifle I went up to a .432 sizer, uling aluminum gas checks I make using Charlie Darnel's Freechex tool. Still works pretty well in the SBH as the forcing cone kind of equalizes things out, and I gained a bit more velodcity with the tighter boolit to boot. These things will pretty much put the hurt on anything in my neck of the woods, from 500 lb black bears to 1000 lb bull elk, when driven buy 21.5 grains of H 110. Now I have sturdy 4X scopes on both of these guns, Pachmeyer grips on the SBH, and a Limbsaver recoil pad on the 77/44, so they don't put the same hurt on me! Don't think I'd try this load right off with a jacketed bullet though, be sure to work your way up, results may vary and may not be pretty!

·
Registered
99 Posts
My favorite load for the .44 Maggie is 23.0 grains of W296 and Hornady 240 grain XTP bullets. This is my standard S&W model 29 load.
<< As always, your results may very, work up to this load using a good reloading manual........>>................Don in SC

·
Registered
18 Posts
My most accurate load for 44 mag is 19 grains of H110 with 300 grain XTP's and Winchester WLP primers. A very accurate load out of both of my Super Blackhawks. Another good load that I use for hunting is 21 grains of H110, Winchester WLP primers and 320 grain Cast Performance LBT style WLNGC bullets.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.