Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I decided a week or so ago that I wanted a .50 BMG. Don’t need one, I stopped needing anything a while ago. I just want one. So, the other day I was litterally getting ready to hit the buy it now on a Barrett M107. Something held me back and I did a little more research and I fell down a rabbit hole and need some help getting out. So, it seems the Barrett’s are not the most accurate. Accurate enough (3 MOA typical), but there are issues along with things like magazines being too short for accurate shooting taking things like even the M95, which also has some accuracy issues due to mag length as well as the easy takedown design that creates slop between the major components.

So, while the M107 seemed to be the one to get, it’s not all it’s cracked up to be. I have looked at the Serbu, Armalite, and many more. With the BMG, price does not seem to be as indicative of what you get. So, what experience does the group have out there with some of the various options?

·
Exchequer
4,352 Posts
I wish I could offer some expert advice on this topic .....but it is way out of my purview. However, I do support the concept that you may not NEED a 50 cal rifle .....but it'd be a ton of fun to have one.

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
PM Tacky, he’s a good source of information when it comes to the .50.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,363 Posts
Well i have some extensive knowledge on the 50bmg and what i can do. Glad to help you out.

I own the barrett 99 in 29" fluted with a vortex pst ffp 6x24x50 ebc crosshair scope. Its way more accurate than most know but not with m33 ball ammo. I tried several factory rounds and had ak type accuracy. I then tested the barnes tsx and tac x with reloads and us869 powder, still not impressive. So i tried the 750 amax with us 869 groups got better. Big thing happened when i switched to h50bmg powder and the hornady 750amax, su
b moa all day, if you can stand to shoot it that long. Out of the barretts the 99 is the most accurate, single shot i have fired. Spent some time with a friends ar50a1 armalite. So if you want semi auto the 82 or 107 is a good choice, i would say it could do better accuracy with handloads, but the most accurate i have fired was my 99. Here is a group at 200 yards, 6 shots outside to outside 1.700" Under 2" at that range is below moa.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,363 Posts

·
"The Real Deal"
6,363 Posts
Here is my 99.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I was looking at the 99 if I went Barrett. What you say about ammo goes along with other things I have learned. I was considering also the Armalite AR-50A1 if I could get one. I have hear rumors and a LGS near me has one occasionally. The third at this point was the Steyr HS-50 if I go the direction of a repeater.

Big question. Is your 99 with a 29” or 33” barrel? Thinking the longer one would be the better option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
"The Real Deal"
6,363 Posts
Thanks, I was looking at the 99 if I went Barrett. What you say about ammo goes along with other things I have learned. I was considering also the Armalite AR-50A1 if I could get one. I have hear rumors and a LGS near me has one occasionally. The third at this point was the Steyr HS-50 if I go the direction of a repeater.

Big question. Is your 99 with a 29” or 33” barrel? Thinking the longer one would be the better option.

Mine is a 29, went that route for easier storage. The ar50 is way longer than my 99 is and the 99 is 10lbs lighter. I liked the barrett better than the ar50. The bushmaster ba50 is ok, but real heavy too.
Steyr makes good 50's as well.

I dont think you loose much velocity going from 32 to 29 in the 50bmg. i haven't seen a difference, but the 29 fluted is lighter maybe 23 to 25lbs. That makes a big difference after you try to carry it around. Trust me!

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can see how the 99 would be much more convenient due to the bullpup design. What is the boltface on the 99? I am assuming it’s not a shellholders design and is probably a sako- type extractor with a plunger ejector or something close? Also, how is the brake attached? I was looking at one and it looked like a clamp on. That might be an issue as I am planning on suppressing it. I know I am going to give up some of the recoil reduction from the great brakes, and I have no illusions as to it being hearing safe. I have silencers and know the difference between the movies and the real world. I would be happy with just reducing the sound to a level that is more in line with a normal centerfire rifle and mitigate the muzzle blast for those who might be near me.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,363 Posts
I can see how the 99 would be much more convenient due to the bullpup design. What is the boltface on the 99? I am assuming it’s not a shellholders design and is probably a sako- type extractor with a plunger ejector or something close? Also, how is the brake attached? I was looking at one and it looked like a clamp on. That might be an issue as I am planning on suppressing it. I know I am going to give up some of the recoil reduction from the great brakes, and I have no illusions as to it being hearing safe. I have silencers and know the difference between the movies and the real world. I would be happy with just reducing the sound to a level that is more in line with a normal centerfire rifle and mitigate the muzzle blast for those who might be near me.

Good questions, the bolt face is huge. I am trying to describe what its like but really nothing i can remember is close. I will try take a photo of the bolt tomorrow that should be the best for you to see it. The action locks up real tight and has 6 to 10 locking lugs where it contacts the breech. Reminds me of a breech on a naval battkeship with 16" guns. Just as i would want it to be for such a massive powder charge next to your face. 214 to 240 grains to be exact.

The muzzle brake is a clamp on, i believe the muzzle brake made for the suppressor is also a clamp on design, the barrett suppressor fits over. Its rock solid and doesnt move under the intense pressure. If not im sure you can order it suppressor ready.
Barretts suppressor is north of 3k but rated for the 50, not many suppressors can handle it.

If your gonna suppress it the bull pup is the way to go, an armalite ar500 with a suppressor would be 8ft long, never seen one suppressed.

If it was suppressed it would definately help the overpressure. un suporessed you can onlybstand maybe a maximum of 20 rounds in one sitting. The recoil is like a 20 gauge with bird shot, but the overpressure pushes against your eyes, and blows up your nose when firing. But it will put a big grin on your face.

The factory trigger is like a light single stage with no breaking point. The 99 is also very simple. has less parts than an ak to tear down and clean. Very simple. Also cones with a 20moa top rail.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, no need to pull your bolt. I found a picture and it is exactly as I had in my mind, which is a good thing. The Barrett suppressor was the one I was looking at and upon closer look, looks like you are right. I have an email in to Barrett anyway with that. I know, $3k for a suppressor, but keep in mind, I was about to hit the buy button on a M107, so a M99,suppressor, and scope, I am in the ballpark of a new M107 rifle base. So, still good.

Thanks for all your help. I am just about settled with one last question. Is the barrel bedded at all under the shroud or is it full floated from the action?

·
"The Real Deal"
6,363 Posts
Thanks, no need to pull your bolt. I found a picture and it is exactly as I had in my mind, which is a good thing. The Barrett suppressor was the one I was looking at and upon closer look, looks like you are right. I have an email in to Barrett anyway with that. I know, $3k for a suppressor, but keep in mind, I was about to hit the buy button on a M107, so a M99,suppressor, and scope, I am in the ballpark of a new M107 rifle base. So, still good.

Thanks for all your help. I am just about settled with one last question. Is the barrel bedded at all under the shroud or is it full floated from the action?

its fully free floated from the action out. Nothing touching it the receiver is made from one solid piece as well adding to the strength. Its well built.

Yes your right a suppressor, glass and rifle is in the m107 price range.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,363 Posts
I do think you will like it though, its a great rifle. If you decide to relioad for it i have most of the tools i can tell you what you need, and have good data for loads. Just let me know.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes I think that is the way I am going to do it. I am going to call my NFA guy in the morning and see about the Barrett silencer as it’s showing out of stock. I know, doesn’t mean I can’t get the rifle.

So the ammo situation is something I am curious about. I may PM you later for actual load info, but what are you using for press and brass? I was thinking of the American eagle black box to make brass but I hear somewhere it’s a bit soft.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,363 Posts
Yes I think that is the way I am going to do it. I am going to call my NFA guy in the morning and see about the Barrett silencer as it’s showing out of stock. I know, doesn’t mean I can’t get the rifle.

So the ammo situation is something I am curious about. I may PM you later for actual load info, but what are you using for press and brass? I was thinking of the American eagle black box to make brass but I hear somewhere it’s a bit soft.

I usually buy once fired brass from range brass llc or their was a local guy that sold brass so i racked up. i have had no problem with the american eagle, i do have alot of lake city.

My press is the lee press made for the 50, its an O style. You could load others on it, however i have 2 other presses for that. I also use the lee dies, set to no crimo, the are the 1&1/4-12 threaded. i also highly recommend the lyman 50bmg case prep tool #7777811. Its a great tool for cutting crimp rings, all 50 has it on the primers. I tossed the lee case lube since i stuck a few, i use hornady one shot spray lube, no issues. i have the lyman accutrimmer specifically for the 50 bmg as well, its good equipment. i do have some load data as well, best has been the 750 amax get ready though they are $44-50 a box of 20 just for the bullets.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,363 Posts
Oh yeah and get a long shank punch and 2lb hammer. Its almost impossible to deprime and size at the same time. I knock the primers out with a punch and hammer while in the press, then spray them and resize them. Trust me.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,363 Posts
Enough talk. LGS just ordered the rifle and I have an appointment with my NFA guy Monday. Now it’s a party.

Awesome, you wont be disappointed.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts