Ruger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I called Barrett and talked with a CS rep named Dillon who answered the last few little questions I had and confirmed what I needed to set it up the way I want.

It’s the 29” barrel like yours, but it’s going to be they coyote color chassis just because it sounds like that is what I can get sooner. Honestly, color doesn’t matter on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
"The Real Deal"
6,333 Posts
I called Barrett and talked with a CS rep named Dillon who answered the last few little questions I had and confirmed what I needed to set it up the way I want.

It’s the 29” barrel like yours, but it’s going to be they coyote color chassis just because it sounds like that is what I can get sooner. Honestly, color doesn’t matter on this.

Nothing wrong with coyote or fde, they are nice too. Then grab you a hogue overmold for it. It has an ar15 grip however not all will fit due to the way the grip is made on the back where it meets the receiver. The hogue without the beaver tail works great, and what i have.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Well, I think I got the big pieces on the way. Suppressor was the last step and that went out today. Now is just start getting the little stuff while I wait. Does a 44” one piece cleaning rod work or do I need longer?

·
"The Real Deal"
6,333 Posts
i will measure mine. i have a boresnake for mine as well.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,333 Posts
Well, I think I got the big pieces on the way. Suppressor was the last step and that went out today. Now is just start getting the little stuff while I wait. Does a 44” one piece cleaning rod work or do I need longer?

The 44 will work, i have 2 one brass sectional and one steel single piece . Both will be fine

·
Registered
7,745 Posts
I'm no where near the neighborhood of owning one of these but man you guys sure do make a guy think about it. Looking forward to hearing about the first time out.

·
Premium Member
13,785 Posts
Misread...........thought this meant turning the Big 50!
That was a few years ago...............

·
"The Real Deal"
6,333 Posts
Thank you.

I do recommend the boresnake, i used it when i was breaking in the barrel at the range. You will probably see the groups calm down around 100 rds.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,333 Posts
Pm me when you need the reloading data.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I do recommend the boresnake, i used it when i was breaking in the barrel at the range. You will probably see the groups calm down around 100 rds.
Thanks, I will get one. I need to check but I think my complete Otis kit has .50 stuff too. I am an all of the above kind of guy in that I use boresnakes, Otis, and cleaning rods as the situation dictates. All that being said, nothing beats a rod for a real complete cleaning.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Pm me when you need the reloading data.
I will as soon as my stuff starts arriving.

That said, talk to me about bullets. I figure Amax will be the go to, but what are your experiences with some other bullets and how about a suggestion for the first 100 or so.

I don’t see myself shooting any of the “exciting” military stuff such as incendiary, tracer, or AP. Maybe it’s the old match shooter in me, but I conceptually have a hard time running that stuff down any of my barrels, but that is probably just my little hang-up. I know millions of rounds of that have been fired with no ill effects.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,333 Posts
I will as soon as my stuff starts arriving.

That said, talk to me about bullets. I figure Amax will be the go to, but what are your experiences with some other bullets and how about a suggestion for the first 100 or so.

I don’t see myself shooting any of the “exciting” military stuff such as incendiary, tracer, or AP. Maybe it’s the old match shooter in me, but I conceptually have a hard time running that stuff down any of my barrels, but that is probably just my little hang-up. I know millions of rounds of that have been fired with no ill effects.

Well i found a deal at palmetto state armory on american eagle 647 fmj or 660 grain black box. It is lake city headstamped or LC. They were ok for break in, plus you can reload the brass. They are probably the cheapest commercial ammo. I have never tried the hornady 750 amax factory ammo. The barnes tsx. and tacx are both good bullets i have not tested them with h50bmg, they are less expensive than the 750 amax bullets. My tests were with us869. They were medicore on accuracy. You main choice of powders is h50bmg and us869. The H50bmg is a stick powder, the us869 is ball. I have a couple suppliers for once fired brass for fairly cheap. I will look at them this evening to see who has what.

I have been wanting to try a few others on the market. Seems berger may make 50 pills, or others. Stay away from bore riders they are made oversize .510 they do provide great accuracy at the cost of barrel life. Plus the barrel has to be recut to use them.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,333 Posts
This is the press i run, and dies..

This is the trimmer i run mounted to a 3/4 piece of plywood.

I would also suggest mounting the press to a metal work table or heavy work bench. Mine is 1.5" thick, double 3/4 plywood with a carpet top. Trust me.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Haha! You said cheap when referring to the .50 BMG.

Seriously, thanks for all the help. You ever make it to my neck of the woods, dinner is on me, but you might have to put up with the one and five year old boys.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,333 Posts

Seriously, thanks for all the help. You ever make it to my neck of the woods, dinner is on me, but you might have to put up with the one and five year old boys.

No problem brother i have one just turning one next month so thats nothing new to me...just changed a diaper. Maybe one day i can take you up on the dinner offer, and a cold one as well. That would be awesome. Who knows i could bring my barrett along and we could really make some noise at the range.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,333 Posts
Oh yeah your definately gonna have to tell me about the suppressor and how it reduces the decibels of the 50, and recoils.

Speaking of 1 year olds, just changed a diaper, and waiting for her to go back to sleep, why else would i be up at this hour wben im not working.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,333 Posts

Hey it is cheap compared to the 338 Lapua and 375 or 408 cheytac. :oops:

21 - 40 of 67 Posts