Ruger Forum banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
"The Real Deal"
6,361 Posts
I meant to ask if you ordered the barrett monopod for the 99? I know its not cheap but i HIGHLY recommend it. Its infinetly adjustable, and makes holding a 25lb gun easier on target. The 99 has been made to except it as is, just need the monopd and adjustnent knob.
Just thinking ahead.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,361 Posts
I found an old pic, this was my original sight in 200 yards ( bottom picture) with the american eagle black box. You can see the variances. Top was the tsx with 869, Need to try the h50bmg with that bullet.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Looks good, I have not ordered the monopod, but will get that. I looked at it, but waited. I wasn’t sure if the 99 came with it since some models do. And thanks for the targets. Can’t wait till I can start putting some lead down range with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
"The Real Deal"
6,361 Posts
Looks good, I have not ordered the monopod, but will get that. I looked at it, but waited. I wasn’t sure if the 99 came with it since some models do. And thanks for the targets. Can’t wait till I can start putting some lead down range with it.

No the 99 has alot of things with it, the bipod, the pelican case etc. but no monopod. Atleast mine didnt a couple years back when i bought it.

Definately let me know vwhen you get it, and post sone pics as well. The first time pulling the trigger is something you wont forget. If anybodies with you make sure they are behind you and not too the sides. The overpressure is massive.

What optics are you going with?

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I will let you know and post pictures. Not sure on scope yet. I have a leupold Vx-3i 8.5-25 laying around from another rifle that I ended up deciding it was too much for, so I am going to start with that and decide if I want to go to something with more power. I am a sucker for Leupold just because I have had such good luck with them but for this, after I play with it a few times I might try nightforce.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,361 Posts
I will let you know and post pictures. Not sure on scope yet. I have a leupold Vx-3i 8.5-25 laying around from another rifle that I ended up deciding it was too much for, so I am going to start with that and decide if I want to go to something with more power. I am a sucker for Leupold just because I have had such good luck with them but for this, after I play with it a few times I might try nightforce.

Very good decision, Don't forget the Vortex too, they are great scopes, lifetine warranty. Mine is the viper pst 6x24x50 ffp illuminatred. Love the scope. Just remember you need a minimum of 50 moa of adjustment vertical to allow you to shoot 100 yards, or you wont have enough adjustment to bring the crosshairs down enough at closer ranges. 50 moa would be 25moa up and down . I do suggest a 30mm tube, and mounting the rings directly to the rail, no risers. The tech at barrett said using risers is not recommended, and can cause accuracy issues. Just things i remember i wanted to share.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Very good decision, Don't forget the Vortex too, they are great scopes, lifetine warranty. Mine is the viper pst 6x24x50 ffp illuminatred. Love the scope. Just remember you need a minimum of 50 moa of adjustment vertical to allow you to shoot 100 yards, or you wont have enough adjustment to bring the crosshairs down enough at closer ranges. 50 moa would be 25moa up and down . I do suggest a 30mm tube, and mounting the rings directly to the rail, no risers. The tech at barrett said using risers is not recommended, and can cause accuracy issues. Just things i remember i wanted to share.
Thanks, I think the leupold has the adjustment. One of the “features” of the LR series was that it was 1” internals in a 30mm tube to give you more adjustment. The scope is currently mounted in Leupold mark 4 rings. Another reason I took it off the rifle it was on was that it has a 50mm objective and was too high for the setup. So it should be just about right as I believe it is in high rings, but I’ll be able to know for sure soon enough.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,361 Posts
Thanks, I think the leupold has the adjustment. One of the “features” of the LR series was that it was 1” internals in a 30mm tube to give you more adjustment. The scope is currently mounted in Leupold mark 4 rings. Another reason I took it off the rifle it was on was that it has a 50mm objective and was too high for the setup. So it should be just about right as I believe it is in high rings, but I’ll be able to know for sure soon enough.

Cool deal, i went ultra high to get it a bit higher for my liking. but mine is still low to the rifle. due to the rail being slightly higher than were your cheek rest.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Well, the parts are starting to trickle in. Today fedex delivered the first piece of the project, the muzzle device for the suppressor. Paperwork is in to the ATF, so judging by prior suppressor purchases, I am guessing it will be a year. Hope the rifle gets here soon.

So, first clue you are doing something different. The muzzle device is next to the device for a .30 cal Rugged Surge suppressor.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,361 Posts
Well, the parts are starting to trickle in. Today fedex delivered the first piece of the project, the muzzle device for the suppressor. Paperwork is in to the ATF, so judging by prior suppressor purchases, I am guessing it will be a year. Hope the rifle gets here soon.

So, first clue you are doing something different. The muzzle device is next to the device for a .30 cal Rugged Surge suppressor.

Think mine on my rifle is 2lbs, sure that one is lighter. How bad$$$$?

·
"The Real Deal"
6,361 Posts

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Hey is that an M1 garand tek mat?
Yea, that’s a Garand tek mat. Helps remind me how to put the old girl back together when I get a little overzealous cleaning.

And the brake? Hold your breath, $445 for just the brake.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,361 Posts
Yea, that’s a Garand tek mat. Helps remind me how to put the old girl back together when I get a little overzealous cleaning.

And the brake? Hold your breath, $445 for just the brake.

Thought that mat looked familiar.

$445, ouch... well look at the bright side, the suppressor is 6 to 8 times that.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Thought that mat looked familiar.

$445, ouch... well look at the bright side, the suppressor is 6 to 8 times that.
What is crazy is the performance. A 50 is never going to be hearing safe. But it takes it to something like a “normal” rifle. I am guessing that I will get a bit better performance out of the bolt action vs the M107. The bigger thing is dealing with the pressure wave. The downside is that the muzzle brake for the suppressor alone is less effective than the stock one since it doesn’t direct back as much. We will see how much and see what the suppressor does.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,361 Posts
What is crazy is the performance. A 50 is never going to be hearing safe. But it takes it to something like a “normal” rifle. I am guessing that I will get a bit better performance out of the bolt action vs the M107. The bigger thing is dealing with the pressure wave. The downside is that the muzzle brake for the suppressor alone is less effective than the stock one since it doesn’t direct back as much. We will see how much and see what the suppressor does.

Thats going to be an interesting test, i would like to know how much difference in recoil is between the standard brake and the suppressor ready brake. Definately let me know.

Yes the overpressure is nasty with the 50, why i say bout 20 rds in one sitting is my limit. When you light off 214 grains of powder the pressure goes up your nose, had a friend that said it felt like it parted his hair. The recoil is not really anything to write home about, the 7mm stw or 8x57 mauser is worse. I once saw a video on you tube a guy did with the different brakes on a 50, let me see if i can find it for you.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,361 Posts

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Very interesting. Judging by the comments of the video maker, part of the blast you have been referring to is related to the M99 brake. I expect that the suppressor brake will be more like the T-6 brake, a little more recoil but less pressure directed back to the shooter. As for with the suppressor, maybe I need to make a video of that.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,361 Posts
Very interesting. Judging by the comments of the video maker, part of the blast you have been referring to is related to the M99 brake. I expect that the suppressor brake will be more like the T-6 brake, a little more recoil but less pressure directed back to the shooter. As for with the suppressor, maybe I need to make a video of that.

Definately make a video, im curious to hear the db dtop too.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts