Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The birdheads are off and flying to the show me state. The figure and grain are somewhat different in these mallee blanks from the plow-handle set in my other post, this wood is from the Greenstone area of Australia, wherever that is.

I looking forward to the finished product from Mr. Gripmaker Chad.

Birdhead Mallee Blanks 2 IMG_1191.jpg

Birdhead Mallee Blanks  IMG_0158.jpg

Flying birds IMG_1204.jpg

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The birds have landed in MO. Chad advised he would place the blanks in his magic box to get the moisture content just right before starting his creations.

Again what a great artist/craftsman to deal with that loves and enjoys his work.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well well.....I just received an email from Mr. Chad, the gripmaker. He has all eight mallee blanks sitting at his, doing magic, work station.

This may be the most boring thread anyone reads....But, however, I'm excited about what I am about to get from him. I wish you could see in person the fit and finish this man provided on the 4 plowhandle guns seen in the grip replacement post.

I feel he is the right guy to provide me what I am looking to do, regarding re-griping these 16 Vaqueros. Yes the ones that I've posted pics of here and there the 8 CC&Bs and the 8 SS, that I had custom grips made for a few years back. Back before I got started with all the nonsense of thinking I need at lest *** of these Vaqueros. Then thinking I needed some different looking wood grips and getting what I thought I wanted. Grips looked great, good craftsman ship some over priced, just not what I was......so I'm re doing them without the medallions this time.

..............................................................................................

Attachments

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
...........................................................................................................................

·
Registered
27 Posts
That Mallee is going to look awesome on that knife.
Grip blanks are looking good and should make a lot of progress on them next week.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got a message form Mr. Chad....He is ready to get a finished package in the mail this coming Tuesday. Can't wait to see what these birds are going to look like, he said he had fun working through this set. I've got to post pone his shipment as we've got a project that calls me to PA for a week.

It looks as if Chad may have found enough very curly maple for the grips for all 8 of the stainless guns, with enough left over to do the knife scales to go with them. He is currently dickering with the wood man on price. I'm going have Chad dye these a transparent black as to see the curly's through the dye, again no medallions.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got a message from Chad, the bird grips are on the way via second day delivery. It seems it doesn't take to much much to get get me excited these days. I'm sitten here like a 12 year old about to get a new 22 rifle. Can't wait to see what he has created out of this batch of red mallee.

Birdhead Mallee Blanks 2 IMG_1191.jpg

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well the red mallee blade arrived today, I think it will make a nice addition to the 8 guns when everything is all finished. I'm very happy with the way it turned out...

Red mallee blade IMG_1239.jpg

Red mallee blade IMG_1241.jpg

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fellows I'm telling you Chad Robinett, Chigs Grips, does some fine work, I would recommend him to anyone that was looking for some custom grips.

Red Mallee Set IMG_1243.jpg

Red Mallee Set IMG_1244.jpg

red Mallee Set IMG_1245.jpg

Red Mallee Set IMG_1246.jpg

Red Mallee Set IMG_1247.jpg

·
Premium Member
13,944 Posts
Amazing looking grips.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
These grips looks fantastic. Great work by the gripmaker.

Where did you source the wood? It looks like it would be a great one for knife handles.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts