Ruger Forum banner

The "Bug" has bitten again

2K views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  jeepnut711 
#1 ·
Well, I went into my local Gun Store and was looking around. They know me too well as they said they had just got this little jewel in. A Smith & Wesson Model 60 with 2 inch barrel and I could not resist as it has been on my list. So I could not resist. This is a 38 Special snubbie I put on layaway 2 weeks ago and I got out Friday. However, when I went in to pick this one up, I also saw a Henry Pump 22 with Octagon Barrel (will post under another post). The little 60 had a trip to the range and I was really impressed. Now have a pocket holster and am carrying her. Looking the serial number up is from about 1971 nd has a pinned barrel. This is definitely a "bug" I don't mind getting bit by.

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
Congrats! Twice bitten.

#8 ·
Very nice:) Those older J-frames are perfect carry guns.

Maybe 5 years ago I was at my local Gander Mt. and saw an older 60 snubby, priced at $350.......a guy was looking at it, he gave it back to the clerk........before the guy was even away from the counter I told the clerk "yeah I'll take that"......

I carried it a lot, then gave it to my Dad a couple years ago, he carries it almost daily. He's the "Smith guy", I got an SP101 and had no need for the 60. I put a few cylinders through the 60 to make sure it worked, cleaned it, put a set of Barami Hip Grips on it and just carried it. It wasn't much fun, IMO, to shoot after a couple cylinders.

1971 is a good year, that one may have been to Vietnam.........an older guy at a gun show told me he searched 5 states back in 1968 trying to find a Model 60 to send to his brother in Vietnam, you just couldn't find them, since people were buying them up to send to family members and friends in the Nam to use as "stash guns" and backup pieces, since these were among the first, if not the first stainless snub .38's and were good for the humid tropical conditions. I think around 1968-70 the practice of "personal guns" in Vietnam was starting to get squashed by the govt., but I'm sure a great many still made it in buried in boxes of cookies or whatever else........I think the Marines were far more liberal with personal guns than the Army.

#11 ·
For most of us we'll never know.......

I have a S&W M&P .38 made in 1919, looks like it spent 50 years in the holster, maybe someday I'll get it lettered by S&W. Most likely an old cop gun, who knows, for all we know it's been through WWII and back as a personal sidearm.

I still kick myself, for passing on the .357 Old Model Blackhawk I could have had for $300, owner said it was carried in Vietnam as a personal weapon, by the guy he bought it from......it sure as heck looked it.....nearly 0% blue...would have made a decent shooter regardless but I had just bought a New Model .357 BH so didn't "need" it......

Some people wonder at the "history" of certain guns they own, the M1 Carbine with all "correct" parts might have spent 2 wars sitting in an armory, while the dusty old .38 they bought at an estate sale may have been through the Bulge.....

#14 ·
Nice finds. Congrats.

#16 ·
Congrats! You have yourself a beauty there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.