Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Exchequer
4,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this Pipevine Swallowtail hanging around, of all things, the Dutchman's Pipevine that I planted in my butterfly garden last year. It took a full year, but they finally showed up. As the saying goes, "if you build it, they will come".

·
Premium Member
2,385 Posts
Very good to see they showed up. My granddaughter and I are just now creating a "butterfly garden" here in Central Ohio. I just started to research what to start with and so far just "milk weed" has taken to the area we have set aside. The library is closed and the local garden club has been shut down so tonight we are going to look at what we can find for assistance on the web. Need to know what can grow here and know nothing about butterfly's but that is what my 11yr old granddaughter chose as a project. We are going to build it and she say's yes they will come!

·
Exchequer
4,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Milkweed is the sole, complete lifecycle plant for Monarchs. And, it truly does grow like a weed. You should get good results with it. The Monarch will use Milkweed for nectar/food, lay eggs on it, and when the eggs hatch into caterpillars, they'll eat it down to the stalks. But don't worry, it'll come back. There's no guarantee that the caterpillars will form their chrysalis in your garden unless you build a mesh enclosure around the garden. But that's not necessarily good as it prevents the natural cycle of things.

Based on the area you plan to use for your garden, plant a LOT of Milkweed. The more you have, the better the chances that you'll get a good turnout of butterflies. And, please don't use any sprays or chemicals to control pests or weeds in the garden. It'll kill off your butterflies and caterpillars.

Here's a great link with a wealth of info: North American Butterfly Association Home Page

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,385 Posts
Many thanks for the link! Milkweed is what I had great results with when we were in the Upper Peninsula in Michigan by Cedarville and Hessel. They provided a real needed source for the Monarchs. Thanks again for sure...

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,253 Posts
Thanks for sharing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts