Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did another relief shift (11AM - 9PM) with the police department on Saturday. It was a fairly quiet shift - it was raining and the calls were mostly for non-injury accidents and other such stuff.

Almost exactly on the tick of 8PM, I was called for a crash at one of our major intersections. While I was on my way, the first unit on the scene reported that one of the drivers had fled the scene, running in the direction of a large department store less than a block away from the crash site. I was just a block away from the store, so I diverted there to help with the search.

Entering the store, after shaking off the Girl Scouts selling cookies, I caught a glimpse of the fleeing driver (the description included the phrase "extensive facial tattoos", if that gives you a hint) and was hot on his heels. With two other officers converging from the store entrances, we soon had him cornered and handcuffed in the "housewares" section (right next to the pillows and sheets).

About the time we were snapping the handcuffs on him, the unit on the scene radioed that they had found a number of rounds of loose ammunition on the passenger seat. The was a suspicious-shaped bulge in his back pocket, which I quickly determined was a Rohm RG14 revolver.

After reading him his rights, I confronted him with the revolver; his answer was, "That's not my gun!"

When I then pointed out that regardless of whose gun it was, the gun was in his pocket, he replied, "But these aren't my pants!"

Well, that cracked up everybody - everyone, that is, but the guy in handcuffs. We were still laughing about it when we locked him into the holding cell.

He later admitted that he ran because he had a warrant (he did, but it wasn't serviceable in our county) and because he had a gun. What he didn't mention (but we found out anyway) was that he was a convicted felon (and so couldn't possess a gun) and that both the gun and the car he crashed were stolen. And he's on probation.

At least now he doesn't have to worry about putting on the wrong trousers - he'll be wearing orange jumpsuits for the next couple of years.

Jim

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What a hoot, I better double check my britches every time, maybe I'll find a freebee gun in them.
I don't know - if it turned out to be another Rohm revolver, it might not be worth looking for.

Jim

·
Registered
1,721 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
I can't believe he was stupid enough to get into all this trouble, over a Rohm! LOL!
Well, then again, I guess I CAN understand it. Crooks ain't the sharpest slice of bread in the loaf. LOL!

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
He could have said it's a Rohm and that is not a real gun, could have won that argument.

·
Banned
1,033 Posts
I can't believe he was stupid enough to get into all this trouble, over a Rohm! LOL!
Well, then again, I guess I CAN understand it. Crooks ain't the sharpest slice of bread in the loaf. LOL!

seems like he had more than a junk gun to worry about, but maybe he didn't thank that stealing a car, crashing it, then fleeing the scene didn't count. Hmmmm, wonder if he actually stole the pants too?

·
Pony Soldier
8,631 Posts
You know I often find wayward pants and put them on without checking the pockets.
Sounds plausible to me!!

Greg

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
LMAO. Apparently, the rehab from his last visit to jail DIDNT take. :D

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Another great story!

The "these aren't my pants" defense comes up a lot on Cops. And they always seem surprised when the cops don't care. Like this should be a perfectly legitimate defense and it should be good enough to just go on their way.

Two other Cops rules.
They're never, and I mean never, driving their own car. It's always their aunt's boyfriend's cousin's car. Always.
If the phrase is uttered "I swear to God" they're guilty. That's 100% take it to the bank.

·
Registered
17,163 Posts
That was another good story, Jim!
A literal Saturday night special.

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
He could have said it's a Rohm and that is not a real gun, could have won that argument.
That's true!

Another great story!

The "these aren't my pants" defense comes up a lot on Cops. And they always seem surprised when the cops don't care. Like this should be a perfectly legitimate defense and it should be good enough to just go on their way.

Two other Cops rules.
They're never, and I mean never, driving their own car. It's always their aunt's boyfriend's cousin's car. Always.
If the phrase is uttered "I swear to God" they're guilty. That's 100% take it to the bank.
A couple weeks ago, we stopped a guy for suspicion of DUI and when he pulled out his license, a small plastic bag of off-white powder was stuck to the back of the license (it later turned out to be heroin). He claimed - loudly and repeatedly - that it wasn't his and that he had no idea how it got there.

When I hear someone say "I swear to God", "Honest to God" or - even better - "I wouldn't lie to you, bro", I'm 99% certain that whatever follows is a lie.

I had to look up the Rohm RG14 ! I wouldn't claim it either!
Not one of the best examples of the pistolsmith's art, to be sure. I'd be embarrassed to admit I owned one...which I don't! Just wanted to make that clear!

Jim

·
Registered
644 Posts
A couple weeks ago, we stopped a guy for suspicion of DUI
A good tip on finding someone who is driving impaired... If the first words out of their mouth when you walk up to the car is "Officer, I live right there" or "Officer, I live right down the street" Yup. Almost made it bud. I think that should be included in the Standardized Field Sobriety Tests.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I bought a Davis 380 for $50 thats just as bad as Rohm. That's the junkest piece I own.
And I wouldn't carry that to a dog fight. Very good story Mr. laidlerj

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,406 Posts
Strange, I thought the title suggested that there's an "other" woman involved.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Reminds me of an episode of COPS from way back where a guy is pulled out of the bushes with a um working-gal - with his coveralls around his ankles with his name embroidered on them and he claimed they weren't his.

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A good tip on finding someone who is driving impaired... If the first words out of their mouth when you walk up to the car is "Officer, I live right there" or "Officer, I live right down the street" Yup. Almost made it bud. I think that should be included in the Standardized Field Sobriety Tests.

Too true!

I've done a couple of DUI patrols and twice I've pulled people over and the first words out of their mouths (followed by a cloud of alcohol fumes) was "I haven't been drinking!"

Uh, I didn't ask you that, but thanks for the input.

Jim

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Rohm RG14 - the gun used in the darn near successful assassination attempt on Ronald Reagan. So let's not make too much fun of it.

I liked the one where the cops find 5 bags of heroin or something in the car. The explanation was that a random guy they didn't know was walking by and threw it in the open window. The cop repeated the story because he just couldn't believe the guy was trying that. The BG got all excited - "Now you're getting it!". :rolleyes:

I'm waiting for the story where Officer Jim participates in the arrest of the bad guy who gets injured. Then when the BG gets to the hospital Dr. Jim is there and stitches him up. :D And I want a video... :eek:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts