Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The latest New York Times’ anti-gun editorial, published today, concerns concealed carry and is entitled, “The Concealed-Carry Fantasy." A subhead says, "A tragic tally of deaths should erase once and for all the idea that citizens with concealed guns are safer.” As you might expect, the editorial is full of misstatements. Trouble is, these editorials inspire the anti-gun movement and left-wing legislators, who believe this stuff. Thank God we have the NRA to put out the truth and fight for our rights.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/26/o...emc=edit_ty_20151026&nl=opinion&nlid=65998799

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
More liberal anti-gun trash. ... :mad:

·
Banned
365 Posts
The New York Times is so poor that it doesn't even qualify to be backup material for toilet paper or the old Sears catalog in an outhouse. Don't even try to line a birdcage with that rag, the bird will die of acute diarrhea because even they can't stand to read it.

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
3,191 Posts
This article is absurdly simplistic and riddled with logical fallacies. The author seems to be living under the bizarre fantasy that you only carry a small sidearm to take on heavily armed mass murderers. I know several CCW trainers and none of them would tell their students that a pocket pistol enables them to go on the offensive against a heavily armed gunman. What the pansy NYT readers don't get is that large crimes with lots of victims are a tiny percent of crime, assault and murder. A person carries because of real world situations: One has to walk one's dog late at night and there have been some assaults in the area recently. One has to travel alone across country, or into a dodgy city. One has to get some possessions out of a storage unit late at night.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I like the way they referred to the stupid lady that shot at the fleeing shoplifter in plural as if it has happened several times! What a load!.

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
The New York Times is so poor that it doesn't even qualify to be backup material for toilet paper or the old Sears catalog in an outhouse. Don't even try to line a birdcage with that rag, the bird will die of acute diarrhea because even they can't stand to read it.
+1 I would quit reading altogether before I would read the NYT! :mad:

·
Registered
6,247 Posts
This article is absurdly simplistic and riddled with logical fallacies. The author seems to be living under the bizarre fantasy that you only carry a small sidearm to take on heavily armed mass murderers. I know several CCW trainers and none of them would tell their students that a pocket pistol enables them to go on the offensive against a heavily armed gunman. What the pansy NYT readers don't get is that large crimes with lots of victims are a tiny percent of crime, assault and murder. A person carries because of real world situations: One has to walk one's dog late at night and there have been some assaults in the area recently. One has to travel alone across country, or into a dodgy city. One has to get some possessions out of a storage unit late at night.
Even if you only look at mass killings, the author overlooks the fact that the choice is between being armed and having a small chance of survival and being unarmed and having no chance at all. Yes, it is likely that trying to shoot it out with a suicidal mass-murderer will get you killed, but the alternative is a 100% chance of being killed.

Jim

·
Registered
704 Posts
NY Times? What's that? Is it REALLY still publishing? LOL

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
The NY Times is not full of information, it's full of misinformation. This is also true with most of what is passed off as news these days.

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
About the only thing That newspaper prints that I would take as fact,, is the date on the top of the page. And with their track record,,that is even suspect. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
About the only thing That newspaper prints that I would take as fact,, is the date on the top of the page. And with their track record, that is even suspect.
Yeah, that was my thought as well.

·
Registered
178 Posts
If you believe that viewpoint is correct than choose not to carry but don't trample my constitutional rights.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that the media was supposed to be fair and unbiased. Must have been dreaming.
Why is the byline Editorial Board? Is there no one at the NYT willing to admit that is their personal view?

Where are the stats on how many shootings turned out worse becuae of the presence of a concealed carrier? I can only think of a single instance recently where a concealed carrier drew his weapon on a bad guy and was attacked from behind by the bad Guy's accomplice.

I don't think suicides should even be mentioned in this context, unless perhaps the person needlessly killed other people in the process. Any stay showing how many people committed suicide using a firearm is primarily an indication of how effective a tool a firearm can be. I don't think I have seen any such reports where they compare successful suicides involving firearms to unsuccessful attempts involving firearms as well as overall attempts vs success using other methods.

·
Registered
73 Posts
From experience I have several observations. The anti-gun people deal in stereotypes, over generalities and militant ignorance. All firearms are "weapons." In a word these people a bigots. Their crap has polarized pro and anti advocates. One of these people volunteered that all guns are bad. When it was pointed the vast number of firearms in American his reply was "we'll get their neighbors to turn them( the owners) in. He did not like it when the precedent of Nazi Germany was pointed out. I would like also point out the vast difference between CC training from state to state. I was speaking to a Georgia law officer who was angry at the ease one could get a permit in his area. It consisted of walking into the county court a asking for a permit. From my personal experience, it was scary to think of many of the students in local carry classes going on the defensive with a handgun. Should I be there, it would be on the floor or behind something!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.