Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometime back I was telling ya'll about a Mod. 14-2 I picked up atr a good price $270.00 out the door. Of course it had a problem and me being me figured it was an easy fix. Well it could have been easy and low cost had I had the right information the first time around. Had I called S&W and got the right information I could have saved a good bit of money.
1 I was told it needed a center pin a bolt and I wanted to replace the side plate screw's. Cost to me $49.15- the only parts that worked were the side plate screws.
2 Decided to take it to McBrides in Austin Texas, figure they could get it right the first time. Not so after several weeks decided I would go pick it up. I got turned around on the toll roads and they closed before I got there. So that cost me another trip. Cost to me in fuel $82.73
3 I told the gun to thenlocal gunsmith and he was at first dum founded and tried one more trick up his selve. He had an old style pen it worked and a cost to me $15.00
4 I wanted Hogue King wood Fancy wood grips cost to me $99.90
5 I wanted a target triger and hammer cost to me $94.15
Grand total comes to $610.93 Haven't fired a shot out of it yet.
I will- now was it worth it ? heck yea. I can tell this story the rest of my life and enjoy sharing with all of ya.
I have the grips on her now, boy they sure look good. Feel good too lol. Now I am going to have the gunsmith the chancing of the trigers and hammers. So there will be some cost there but I think it will around $20.00 or so. Still I would do it again, sorta fun fixing a gun up to what ya want.

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Snuffy, I agree. I ordered a P90DC and when It came in I sent it on for a Action Job,and when it gets back it will go to a local Engraver but while I had it I slapped a set of Hogue grips on it that I had ordered. I have ordered a Milt Sparks VM2 holster for it, so I will wind up with a little less than a 1000. in it. But, heck, its only money, and I could have spent that much or more for a expensive gun, and it not be like I wanted, and would still have to get a holster.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well ya know, its all in what ya want and like. Each of us have our wants and needs. I use to be out of the box type of gun owner and then I started watching learning and what looked good and what worked. Of course some how in my older days I have become more brave and have stated to learn to do some of the work myself. That adds to the story behind the gun if ya do some of the work your self.
This place here reminds me more and more of the days as a boy going to the hardware store. Where the older men told their stories, the ones with the gray hair seemed to have the better stories.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Snuffy...

A well-tuned K-38 is a joy to have, and certainly to shoot!

Followed your situation with interest...I'd guess, but certainly don't know, that maybe yours had been "married to an abuser" at one time...

I'm really glad that you've got it where it oughta' be, so to speak.

Just as an aside...and you may already know this...but there was a time when LAPD issued the K-38 as the standard duty weapon and, with that 6" tube, what a dream to shoot!

Let us know what ya' think after ya' take her to th' range...

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Yep, I'll be real surprised if it don't turn out to be one of your keepers. And we would appreciate pictures and range reports so we can keep on following the story.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys yes they did but by the time I cam along they were issuing Mod 15 Combat Master piece in a 4 inche also a sweet shooter. But then they were making them double action only, really sucked your weapon with the hammer just flopping around. So I ended up going witha Colt Phyton, someone offered me morte than I paid for it and its history. I like it to a pont but it was just too picky for me as it only liked factory ammo. I have had 3 Mod. 19's great carry but weren't too good on heavy firing as the brass would swell up tight in the cylinder real pain to get out the empty's.. So I when to a Mor 27 never a problem other than the weight factor, so once again I sold it off and when with on of the new L frames loved that gun. Yep got the fever had to have a Ruger GP 100 got it in a 6 inche and then also had a 4 inche. Had a friend getting out of the reloading business and so I traded the 4 inche and some money got his loading stuff. Sold off the odd brass I didn't have a need for and turned over 200 bucks in my potcket in less than 24 hours. I ended up selling the Gp ^ inches and went back to the L frame. First one to really fix up and can hit a bowling pin with it at 100 yards with my reloads. So it for sure a keeper.
Now the 14 is looking good boys but she hasn'ty got her lace on yet Monday I'll or should have the traget hammer and triger and before that afternoon is over she will be dresssed right.
She was in the has of an abuser for sure but she has a good home now, I don't have the before pictures should have taken them but now I will for sure have the after pictures with her traget from the range.
This has truly been a labor of love and she is worth every penny of it too.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I used to do the same thing with cars & pick-up trucks. You know, Wheels, tires, headers, intake manifold & carburator. Then, with all that stuff bolted on, I had to pull the engine apart & re-do the heads, rods, pistons, crank, cam & have the whole assembly balanced. Of course that lead to a better transmission & rearend.
I stll do some of those things, but not nearly as much as before.
Now that I found out about all the cool stuff I can do with my firearms, I'm at it again! For example, I bought a new Rock Isand Armory 1911 a while back. It didn't cost much as 1911's go, & it was a impressive shooter right out of the box. But, I bought it with modifications in mind. I've added a beavertail, new trigger, disconnect, sear, sear spring, hammer, extended safety & grips. I've messed around with different springs & added a beveled mag well. When the weather turns cold & I have more time to spend indoors, I'll replace the barrell & bushing & do whateve else I feel like to the RIA. I've had a pretty good time working on this project, & have learned a lot about the 1911 while doing it. With the exception of my Winchester 1400 shot gun, I don't think I own a firearm that I haven't done anything to improve it in some way. AND, it's a lot less expensive than that automobile stuff!:D

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
kansas,
yes there is alot you can do with just a little money and some of your time. And the real pride to me is when someone asks you about your shoter you have a story to tell. Always nice to have a story to share with someone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts