Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Less than a month 'til archery season opens here in central Florida. Season starts Sept. 19th. Every year I feel like a 10yr. old looking forward to Christmas.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I'm with ya! Dove season opens here in Texas in a week and a half and I have 2 hunts planned in the first week of the season.

Then Deer season starts in November and I just got my BLR back from getting a trigger job so I have enough time to remount the scope and get it ready!

·
Banned
650 Posts
Deer archery season opens Sept 12 here in NC. Gun season opens Oct 17 until Jan 1. We can use crossbows here in NC. I have not gotten a crossbow and am not interested. All of my stands are on the edge of hell. I am not shooting a deer with a bolt knowing it is going to run into brush so thick I will need to go to the ER for stitches by the time I get the deer out of there. I am not hunting my spots with anything smaller than a 12ga slug, preferably a expanding sabot that blows the shoulder away on the exit side of the deer. I am not concerned with wasting meat. We have very liberal bag limits. I will just shoot 2 or 6 deer if required to fill my freezer

We are getting a long black bear season here Oct 17 to Jan 1. A bunch of new rules with that season. No baiting bears. How am I supposed to know when an elderly lady calls for me to come hunt a bear if she is throwing food scraps out on the edge of the woods? The last bear I shot had a 3 lb bone in it's mouth when I shot it. I didn't put that bone out in the woods.

·
Super Moderator
21,725 Posts
Archery season starts 9/15 in NH. With the shoulder issues I was able to get a crossbow permit for archery season. It's essentially a disability permit and my surgeon actually suggested it when I asked him about next year, figured I wouldn't bow hunt this year. I guess that was his way of telling me at age 68 all bow hunting will be crossbow hunting. I got an application off the fish and game and he signed it and F&G issued a permit. I got a winder for the crossbow so I'm all set. Need a little practice to be sure the sights are still good. I'm pumped to hunt.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll also be hunting with a crossbow for the first time. Last season I had a nice 8pt. standing 15-20yds. away broadside and I was unable to fully draw back my bow from a groundblind and sitting position(no opportunity to stand up) due to getting older, major back surgery( I've got 9 1/2' titanium steel rods in my spine along with cages and screws) a few years back, and most recently(2012-2013)a bout with thyroid cancer which I lost 60lbs. including a lot of muscle strength. That was 5 days into a 6 week season. At that point I reluctantly gave up bow hunting after almost 30yrs. of participating in it. Let me tell you that was one of the worst feelings I've ever experienced as a hunter...giving up something you love to do. So I eagerly anticipate this upcoming season to begin a new love affair, this time with a crossbow. Good luck to everyone this deer and hunting season.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Deer archery season opens Sept 12 here in NC. Gun season opens Oct 17 until Jan 1. We can use crossbows here in NC. I have not gotten a crossbow and am not interested. All of my stands are on the edge of hell. I am not shooting a deer with a bolt knowing it is going to run into brush so thick I will need to go to the ER for stitches by the time I get the deer out of there. I am not hunting my spots with anything smaller than a 12ga slug, preferably a expanding sabot that blows the shoulder away on the exit side of the deer. I am not concerned with wasting meat. We have very liberal bag limits. I will just shoot 2 or 6 deer if required to fill my freezer

We are getting a long black bear season here Oct 17 to Jan 1. A bunch of new rules with that season. No baiting bears. How am I supposed to know when an elderly lady calls for me to come hunt a bear if she is throwing food scraps out on the edge of the woods? The last bear I shot had a 3 lb bone in it's mouth when I shot it. I didn't put that bone out in the woods.
What part of NC do you live in and hunt? I used to live 30 minutes northeast of Asheville on top of a mountain. I did a lot of hunting and fishing in Madison county right near the border with Tennessee. I didn't see a lot of deer in my 5yrs. of living there but I did manage one along with one single hog taken in Nantahala Forest. The turkey and squirrel hunting was first rate though. Trout fishing was first rate as well.

·
Banned
650 Posts
What part of NC do you live in and hunt? I used to live 30 minutes northeast of Asheville on top of a mountain. I did a lot of hunting and fishing in Madison county right near the border with Tennessee. I didn't see a lot of deer in my 5yrs. of living there but I did manage one along with one single hog taken in Nantahala Forest. The turkey and squirrel hunting was first rate though. Trout fishing was first rate as well.
I am north of Raleigh. I hunt all over the place. I lease land for farming and usually get hunting rights with the farm lease. Most of the landowner just want someone who will shoot the deer. Some areas close to here have 65 deer to the square mile.

I was really surprised that we got a 6 week bear season. I have never seen a bear in this area. The bear I killed was in Bertie county. They only get 4 weeks of bear season. If you ride around late in the evening you usually see a bear in Bertie county.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Archery season for deer has been open down here in south FL since August 1st. But it helps to have a boat. To say conditions are "wet" is an understatement....

·
Super Moderator
21,725 Posts
Must be strange hunting in So FL in August. Early on in bow season up here we will have cool mornings and usually warms into high 60's to low 70's for the afternoon. That seems hot to me. Once the sun gets lows it start to cool some. A lot of times if it's too warm I won't hunt in the afternoon as I don't want the deer to hang overnight when it's warm. I use a butcher and he is a good hour + away. He's a pro that works for a large supermarket chain and does an excellent job. I have been going to him for years and had poor results with the locals in the area. By the time with a late afternoon kill, I get the animal dressed out, out of the woods, checked and home I'm in no mood to drive about 2 1/2 hours round trip. I let it hang and take it the next day.

I imagine it's tough keeping the meat good if it's 90 and humid out.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Must be strange hunting in So FL in August. Early on in bow season up here we will have cool mornings and usually warms into high 60's to low 70's for the afternoon. That seems hot to me. Once the sun gets lows it start to cool some. A lot of times if it's too warm I won't hunt in the afternoon as I don't want the deer to hang overnight when it's warm. I use a butcher and he is a good hour + away. He's a pro that works for a large supermarket chain and does an excellent job. I have been going to him for years and had poor results with the locals in the area. By the time with a late afternoon kill, I get the animal dressed out, out of the woods, checked and home I'm in no mood to drive about 2 1/2 hours round trip. I let it hang and take it the next day.

You pretty much said it. I don't even try. Besides the temps in the mid 90's with 100% humidity and heat indexes running 105+ then you get the afternoon thunderstorms which can be violent affairs with lots of lightning. That's pretty much a daily event. Add to it all of the standing water and you start to get the picture. Unless you have access to private land that may include some higher ground the public wildlife management areas in our zone are very swampy this time of year (rainy season). The guys who figure it out often use small boats to get back into hammocks of higher ground. One guy I know who used to do this tells of the time he and his buddy were bringing out a buck in a canoe and paddled past numerous alligators while wondering if they were leaving an interesting blood trail in the water. Two big guys and a buck in the canoe meant only a few inches of freeboard and some of those gators are really big.

No thanks. I'm a wimp. I like cool weather, dry ground and no alligators. I go deer hunting in Mississippi in November.

·
Registered
728 Posts

Thats pretty funny. My first deer season here hunting just north of Houston it was mid 60's as I cleaned my deer and over 70 by the time I was driving home. This was in late November.

There's only one way to change the butchering situation and thats to do it yourself (I understand its not for everyone though).

This year is going to be a bit extra interesting. Its always a bit spooky walking a mile into pitch black woods by myself. I googled information on Sam Houston Forest (Jade Helm is going on in this area and I'd hate to accidentally walk into something I shouldn't while scouting) and one of the first things that came up was information on bigfoot in Sam Houston Forest. While I am not necessarily a believer (who knows what is or isn't out there) I found out that the forest I hunt in is the area that has one of the highest amounts of sightings in the south. Whether you believe or not, its enough to keep me a little bit more on edge when I'm walking in at 5am.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Only 11 days left. Our archery season in Ky. opens September 5th. It is usually a little warm, for my liking, during the first couple of weeks. This does not stop me from getting out there and finding out what is moving.

·
Super Moderator
21,725 Posts
There's only one way to change the butchering situation and thats to do it yourself (I understand its not for everyone though).

This year is going to be a bit extra interesting. Its always a bit spooky walking a mile into pitch black woods by myself. I googled information on Sam Houston Forest (Jade Helm is going on in this area and I'd hate to accidentally walk into something I shouldn't while scouting) and one of the first things that came up was information on bigfoot in Sam Houston Forest. While I am not necessarily a believer (who knows what is or isn't out there) I found out that the forest I hunt in is the area that has one of the highest amounts of sightings in the south. Whether you believe or not, its enough to keep me a little bit more on edge when I'm walking in at 5am.
I give the term butchering a whole new meaning.;)

Jade Helm is supposed to end 9/15?? They should have the exercise in Big Bend.

·
Super Moderator
21,725 Posts
First day of bow season in NH so was out there at first light. I was in the stand for about a half hour and I heard a raspy noise behind me that I though was a Mallard Duck down in the brook. I heard it again and a small doe came out and that was her grunt. I have heard several doe's grunt softly but this one was unique. She walked beside me and then stood about 10' in front of the base of the ladder stand. She looked like bambi's runt sister so I wasn't about to shoot her. She fed on acorns for a few minutes and then moved on. That was it for the first morning. Good to be back out there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts