Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well last sat.morning a storm came in and lost the internet for the rest of the day. And of course this is my one weekend off. Went into withdraws cause i like this board so much.
So i decided that is was pretty enough sat evening that i would treat the family. Loaded up some snacks, the p-90, and the cooler with cokes and drove to the drive-in theatre in Abilene, TX and saw the double feature with the wife and kids and another family.
Oh it brought back the memories. Lots of folks at the show for the double feature which was Shreck III and Spiderman III. A good time to say the least. Folks breaking out the lawn chairs and sitting on the ground or in the back of pickups with their families. Even saw a few take the rear seats out of their vans and put on the ground to watch the shows.
Biggest change? No more posts with wire speakers. Just tune your radio to an FM frequency for the movie. The kids loved it. Think i just might do it again in a month. Biggest problem is the 90 mile round trip--but it was worth it.

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Your post brings back old memories. When I was young, I had a Radio Station sticker on my windshield that would let you in free on carload night. Sometimes it was more fun watching the cars than the movie. It would still be fun go to one. Sounds like your family had a wonderful time. :D

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
There is a small drive in just 4 or 5 miles from my house. It sure is fun to go there with the wife and pretend were dating again!

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
we have one here in Gatesville, lots of folks go there. What no spreaker wires heck wonder how many kids hung themselves on one of those. I remember once we were at the drive in and ofcourse is was one of those scarey movies. And some kid hung himself on the wire and the spreaker wire, scared my dad to death of caurse it was damn kid, he wasn't about to adment that it scared him. Dang near wet my pants laughing. Dad telling me to dry it up or else, but soon Mom started in. It was too late he had to endure a little of laugher.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Our drive-in is long gone...new motel is on its old site. Another a half hour west of us became a Ford dealership's new location and new buildig. They were fun in the old days.

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Deputy125, I'm glad you started this thread. It got me to thinking about all the fun I had at the Drive In's, so Gun-toten-granny and I are going to take our 8 yr. old grandson to one. We still have one in the next town from where I live, which is 7 Miles. Bet we all have fun. Thanks for the report. :)

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Great place to metal detect, too...lots of goodies hit the ground, what with all the writhin' 'round gettin' in and out of the car to get just one more snack......

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I take my scouts to the drive-ins up north of here in Ellington and Piedmont, MO.

They love it...When I was a kid in Doniphan, MO we called the drive-in "The Passion Pit".

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
quote:Originally posted by sheepdog

Great place to metal detect, too...lots of goodies hit the ground, what with all the writhin' 'round gettin' in and out of the car to get just one more snack......
We found a buck 50 in quarters coming back from the snack bar. Oh yeah, paid for the giant hot pretzel!

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
...When I was a kid in Doniphan, MO we called the drive-in "The Passion Pit.
Well I guess one could say that its where the baby boomers got their start, and could be the cause for invention of the over load springs and shocks.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
There was a Drive-In Movie Theatre here in the north end of town. I went there with my parents & family when I was young, & all through high school with friends, It was a great place to hang out. Now it's a Wal-Mart Super Store. My Uncle worked there when he was in high school. Said he got 50 cents an hour & all he could see! [:0] (and he saw plenty in those back seats!):D:D:D

·
Registered
93 Posts
There used to be five drive-ins in the area, now only one is left. It has two screens facing each other so you have a choice of two different double features. The wife and I agreed that we would like to go but we usually fall asleep about a half hour after dusk.

·
Registered
880 Posts
You guys open the door to "memory lane!". Sadly, there are no more drive-in movies here in Houston-area proper. Twas' almost an every weekend thing in my HS days and with a young family...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yep!! Good mammaries....er....memories for sure. Just can't remember any of the movies!!!!:D:D:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wow, Memorie Lane... None around here now, Been A long time... Those were the great times.... Cant stand going to the 40 Screen Theatre.... Too many brat kids and The Cost is out of this World... After you spend $30 on A Gallon cup of Coke and A Bushel basket of Popcorn, And of course, the lil people, Have to have Candy too...With A family of 4, Lookin around $100.... Im not much on having Popcorn for my Supper, Another $50 or so at A local resturant..... Rather have A cooler of drinks, Some low cost store bought snacks, And my own lil space to enjoy my Family time....... With my .357 in the Truck just in case Crowd Control is needed....

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
With the digital technology, regular theaters are having to buy new projectors before actual film is phased out. I don't know if digital will even work for a drive-in, so they may soon be all gone?

I remember drive-ins in relation to newer cars. You used to be able to sit on the hood at a drive-in. Not anymore, too flimsy.

FWIW, some of my best make-outs were in the gas lines of the 70's gas shortage. Didn't do bad at drive-ins, though.......:D

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I worked in our local drivein when I was in High School. It is now a travel trailer park. Me and my family went to a lot of them in our early years. It was our night out on the town. We brought our own popcorn,cokes and candy. It was much cheaper that way.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts