Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a mention here. I have to travel a bit with extended stays out of the homeland (I am over seas on business as I write) I often view sites for good deals, mainly out of boredom. This one site that brokers guns, seems to keep a watchful eye on all those who have opened an account with them.

They "suspended my account" without a heads up.

They claim the account could have been "compromised". Fair enough, but no bidding or financial transactions were being made, just watching.

However, when they cancelled my account they rather rudely demanded I tell them "why" my log-in location is not consistent with my home address.

In some ways it ain't that big of a deal, but in some ways it is. But none the less, it kind of creeps me out.

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
Just a mention here. I have to travel a bit with extended stays out of the homeland (I am over seas on business as I write) I often view sites for good deals, mainly out of boredom. This one site that brokers guns, seems to keep a watchful eye on all those who have opened an account with them.

They "suspended my account" without a heads up.

They claim the account could have been "compromised". Fair enough, but no bidding or financial transactions were being made, just watching.

However, when they cancelled my account they rather rudely demanded I tell them "why" my log-in location is not consistent with my home address.

In some ways it ain't that big of a deal, but in some ways it is. But none the less, it kind of creeps me out.
I'd say with all that's been going on in this world lately that it's a reasonable request. They are probably trying to protect themselves from a potential future lawsuit.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agreed. These are indeed wacky times. They are indeed a private company and can run their affairs as they choose.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I am sure they do not watch everyone, they have an exceptions report that spits out accounts that breach a certain threshold of "odd" login activity. I think it is prudent behavior and unfortunately, is just the way it is in this world.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I believe they are just trying to avoid selling a firearm to someone who wants it for "no good" , your overseas log-ins and frequent movements, when most people stay in one place, raised a security flag. Flag caused alarm, you can't be too careful these days.
Sorry, but I can see a company who is trying to not sell a gun to someone who may be up to evil.
The internet is monitored, what you do , what you say and your movements are all recorded. That's the way it works and there is no changing it.
I'm not going to fault a company that's trying to watch what it does and stay within the laws.
Gary

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree to what you all have said. However tact and decorum should by no means vanish along side privacy. Anyway, that is my 2 cents...thanks all I appreciate your prrspectives.

·
Registered
767 Posts
aye - I wanted to buy a software program and used my Amex only to have it declined because my 'location' didn't match my account - using verizon wifi and it showed me in NJ instead of where I was in TN. Perils of living in the sticks - but they'll never get my business.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts