1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Exchequer
5,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
It's the same mentality that says when you give the bad guy whatever he wants he will politely just leave you alone after that.
Too many people expect that others will do what they would do, 'Well if they gave me what I wanted i would just leave them alone.'
Yeah maybe ... but 'you' would not be robbing someone in the first place so that idea is null and void!

Bruce

·
Registered
383 Posts
Yep- "it ain't over til it's over".
When I go to the range I practice a 3 shot drill. Draw and point shoot 2 rounds at the target body rapidly - no aim- just draw-shoot, and aim the 3rd shot at the head. I do not take my time with it- I do it PDF (pretty darn fast). I am fortunate in that the range I go to is usually empty in the mornings. So I don't have to worry about others walking around when I am practicing. I can get a little creative with my drills. But-when there are other shooters there- then all the rules apply.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I would never expect a one shot deal, unless it causes the BG to turn and run. The three shot training that Higgy mentions above is pretty much minimum training scenario IMO.

The only thing I would adjust is after the two body cavity shots the BG is bending over from the impact, so a head shot on paper is a missed shot (high) in real life scenario??? That's a dangerous missed shot to possible by-standards. Opinions??

I would practice the third shot as a good shot in the neck area or extreme upper chest.

When I watch videos of a shooting the body is contorting immediately on the first shot.

Again, opinions.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Head shots are a low percentage shot unless your extremely well trained. I'm not. Most folks even cops are not. Also, the bad guy could still be darting about even after hits in com. As well as you moving around. I would think it's rather tough to hit a moving target the size of grapefruit (the head at a distance). My first rule, if possible, is seek cover. If he is right on me and my guns not out it will be difficult.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Okay, I guess that, factually, the one shot did stop the armed robbery. But I'm rather surprised that the BG was able to squeeze off a round or two after being shot in the head.

Man Shoots, Kills Would-Be Robber Who Pointed Gun at Him in Front of South Philly Home, Police Say
I couldn't help but think of an old movie I just watched. A gunfight scene between Doc Holiday and gunslinger Ringo. Doc beat him to the draw and hit Ringo off center in the forehead. Ringo slowly walked several feet forward shooting his revolver into the ground and Doc was walking beside him saying "come on". Motor skills I guess if not hit in the right spot.
I agree with the two to the chest and one to the head.

·
Super Moderator
5,766 Posts
You see? The problem here is that the good guy (not gunman) probably wasn’t shooting a .45 ACP.

But in all honesty, we all carry handguns not because they are the most effective, but because they are the most convenient, maneuverable, and concealable. Even though I carry a .45, I would never expect a one shop stop.

·
Registered
405 Posts
You see? The problem here is that the good guy (not gunman) probably wasn’t shooting a .45 ACP.
I agree that the good guy was likely using a smaller caliber handgun. After going through bone, especially the thick frontal skull bone, penetration is going to be reduced. A bullet has to go pretty deep into the brain to instantly incapacitate. There is a good reason the best advice is to shoot at center mass.

·
"The Real Deal"
9,614 Posts
Only 1 shot stop i know if is 50 bmg or larger, it stops because it removes body parts holding well....... pretty much anything. But they arent conceal carry guns. 🤣

·
Registered
116 Posts
as a grey-haired civilian who avoids apex predator turf and is generally home after dark, i don’t feel a need for, and really can’t carry, a hand cannon that ensures a one shot stop. my ccw picks are a s&w 642 loaded with wadcutters, keltec p32 or recently, a ruger sr22. with these softer shooting pieces i am pretty much assured of putting several fast, point & shoot, rounds on target. if i were a cop, soldier or north woods guide i would feel differently.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,584 Posts
Did he only fire one shot?
Must be the cost of ammo.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
Use the T for head shots. Eyes/nose. No heavy bone to go through. Head is a hard target as it is moving a lot more than people realize. Throat is easier.
Not every animal that gets shot knows it is dead. Even with a head shot you may see a lot of thrashing and other reactions.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I think it is a bad thought process to plan/bank on a one stop shot. But as a deer hunter of many years, I can confirm they do happen. Now, they are not easy, and as someone mentioned placement is key.... but ain't no human alive that can outrun/jump/out-survive a deer
You are speaking of a rifle round on the deer, correct, w the one shot stop.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts