Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out in the desert with a friend for some early AM shooting before the heat went from bake to broil. He has a new Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 that he’s trying to work up some loads for and I enjoy the challenge of seeing what I can do with his RPR. It’s a rifle I’ve admired but have been reluctant to invest in. So far. But today I brought along my Gunsight Scout Rifle in 308 for some fun and just to see if I could keep up with the RPR shooting at a couple of steel plates. The RPR is still new enough that we’re not trying to reach out real far - one plate ended up at 238 yards and the second at just under 400 yards.

My truck has an awning for a sun shade and my buddy has a couple of folding tables. We have camp chairs and bring lots of water so we have shade and a decent bench to work off of. Pretty basic sandbag/bipod stuff. Hardest part is hiking up the rocky hillside to set up the steel plates.

The RPR was predictably accurate but the GSR was a big surprise. It was right there banging steel too. I have a Burris 2-7X32 scout scope mounted on the forward rail and it was cranked to 7. My load was a Hornady 150 grain FMJBT over 40.4 grains of Varget and a CCI #200 primer. My GSR really likes this load.

Here’s a 3 shot group at just under 400 yards.

Last time out I got tired of squinting through a cheap spotting scope so I brought along my big binos. 20X80 on a very necessary tripod.

Here’s a little better view of the setup under the truck awning.

It was getting a little toasty by 10 so we packed up and called it. But now I’m curious to keep pushing the GSR so I’ll keep bringing it along to see if I can keep up with the RPR as we move out to 500+. It’ll be fun trying anyway.

·
Registered
603 Posts
That looks like a nice setup, Wave. We typically shoot informally as well and any comfort you can add to the effort is a plus, especially in this recent heat. Envious of your day and best with that GSR!

·
Premium Member
1,387 Posts
Nice setup indeed. I’m also interested in the 308 performance. I’ve got a project planned for .308 with the same bullet and power combination.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts