Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I've really got my eyes set on a blued new model Blackhawk, 357, 4.62'' barrel. But I've read that the blued version has the aluminum grip frame and a cheaply "painted" aluminum cylinder pin (if I got that right). Anyone here own the same version but in stainless? According to Ruger's site, it weighs 4oz more than the blued version. How are you liking the heft of the stainless version (46oz)?

Not much into the bling of stainless, but I could be swayed if we got some folks here that actually enjoy the heft and feel of the stainless vs. the blued version.

Thanks!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Oh yes, and she is a beauty!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have a 5.5 inch stainless Bisley BH in .45 Colt/acp, and I absolutely love the heft and balance. I like having a bit of weight in the grip handle.

·
Registered
189 Posts
BTW, I could be wrong but I think I read the blued Bisleys have steel grip frames. I don't know about the housing for the ejector, but in the SS it's steel as well.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,306 Posts
I have a blued 4 5/8" 9mm/357 Blackhawk convertible with the aluminum alloy grip frame. It balances really well …. an excellent gun. I also have Bisley, birdshead, and stainless steel Blackhawks and they also balance very nice. With the 4 5/8" barrel and aluminum grip frame, there is still plenty of "heft" to dampen recoil. The massive cylinder makes the gun feel just right.

Here's my 4 5/8" BH 9mm/357 convertible:

I think you got some bum information ….. there aren't any painted parts on a Blackhawk. The ejector housing is anodized aluminum and the aluminum grip frame is powder coated. All other parts are steel except the grips. If you can't deal with aluminum, you can buy a new blued steel ejector housing and can install a steel grip frame from a shorter barreled Super Blackhawk. Of course you can just buy a stainless model and have everything made of stainless steel.

Here's my pseudo Super Blackhawk …. a 6 1/2" 357 Mag Blackhawk with a Super Blackhawk hammer and steel grip frame.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
I have the NM Blackhawk Convertible 45 with the 4 5/8th inch barrel and also the same gun in the rare OM version. I like the balance on these, even with the aluminum grip frame. Balance, of course, is a personal preference, so handle both if you get a chance.

The only time recoil is uncomfy when shooting the NM version with the aluminum grip frame (the OM is a safe "king" :)) is when shooting Ruger, only, loads. Those are downright nasty. The heavier stainless steel version might be a touch less nasty, but not enough to convince me to switch to the stainless.

·
Super Moderator
4,060 Posts
BTW, I could be wrong but I think I read the blued Bisleys have steel grip frames. I don't know about the housing for the ejector, but in the SS it's steel as well.
You are correct. All Bisleys have steel grip frames.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I have the Blackhawk with the aluminum grip frame and aluminum ejector rod housing (see my avatar) The aluminum cylinder pin info is wrong...All cylinder pins are steel .

I wouldn't want my BH any heftier...it's plenty hefty and the slight muzzel heaviness helps me shoot it , it just seems to hang steadier like a heavy bull barrel on a target 22 pistol .

It's really just personal preferences . Don't let the Aluminum parts turn you off , the black anodizing held up well for 25 years of hard use and heavy hog hunting but I picked up some deep scratches on the grip frame and the edges were getting worn...so I did the bubba custom job on the grip and ejector rod , removed the anodizing and polished the aluminum ... I thought it looked good back in 1994 ... but like a polyester leisure suit , reality has set in .. it looks rather tatty... don't let bubba work on your guns.
I've had her so long and have so many memories I just can't change her now.
Gary

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep totally confused the ejector rod housing with the actual cylinder pin in my original post. Sorry!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts