Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
VRWC Charter Member
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my deer this year. An old, past-his-prime buck with one antler. And it took me four shots to kill him inside 200 yards!

This was a first for me. It is a rare thing that I fire more than 1 round to fill a tag. Three years ago it took two because I held over a tad while trying to make a head shot and sent it between the buck's antlers. Shot #2 went inn just under his left ear and out below his right eye.

Anyway, this year's buck went down with my 4th shot right in the center of the vitals. He took two jumps and piled in.

Getting home, I went to clean my rifle before I put it away. Upon setting it in the gun cradle, I thought I heard a light rattle.
"What the devil was that?" I thought.
I picked up the rifle and gave it a shake. Yup. A rattle where none should be. A short inspection revealed the rear action screw that secured the rear of the trigger guard and also secured the tang into the stock was so loose it was close to falling out! It was the trigger guard and screw that I heard rattle! No wonder why I almost didn't get that buck! I only got him out of pure luck! :eek:

Needless to say, I have been checking the action screws on every rifle I pull from the safe lately... :eek:

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,571 Posts
Congrats!

That "old past-his-prime buck" must have thought you fired a warning shot or two :D

·
VRWC Charter Member
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
VRWC Charter Member
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
17,276 Posts
Still beats eatin beans!