Ruger Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To be honest its my most prized AR and it is an absolute laser.

Built for me by a recently retire Navy SEAL, a master armorer, intimately involved in the conceptualization of the SPR project and its production, testing and feilding. The builder of several of fellow SEAL Chris Kyle's deployment rifles as well as Marcus Luttrells Mk12 carried during Operation Red Wings. Hes also a business owner operating one of my favorite brands for all things Mk12. The man knows what makes a Mk12 a Mk12. He is the one I trust most when needing an answer or a part.

Ive had this gun out to 500yds, the lingest I have available, but mostly shoot at the 300yd range where I take a box of clays and scatyer them on the berm and bust them with impunity with this rifle. I use mostly my mk262 clone loads so as to hoard my stash of Black Hills real deal mk262 but after about a years worth of load development and the wonderful and extensive series on Johnnys Reloading Bench Ive come up with 3 loads that virtually duplucate the performance of the mk262 round in this rifle.

Its not a "according to Hoyle" clone of the true Mk12 Mod1 but its as deep down the rabbit hole I could afford to dive. Its does have just about all of the key components though. My biggest wish for it would have to be the correct glass and of course the AEM5 suppressor but Im still very happy with it as is. That suppressor would be nice though.

Its a very smooth shooting rifle with a fantastic recoil impulse, and very, very accurate. Its almost boring. It always puts a big stupid smile on my face though.

Wood Trigger Air gun Machine gun Flooring

Wood Camera accessory Air gun Automotive tire Bicycle part

Air gun Machine gun Trigger Typewriter Bumper

Camera accessory Bumper Gas Personal protective equipment Machine

Automotive tire Tire Camera accessory Table Plant

Air gun Machine gun Trigger Camera accessory Shotgun

Automotive tire Camera accessory Bicycle part Air gun Vehicle

·
Registered
Ruger .44 Carbine, Security-Six, Service-Six, Mini-14, .30 Carbine Blackhawk
1,404 Posts
It's a good looking rifle,
not sure why it's boring, though

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Even with just the 10x glass a monkey can make steady hits with it. 👍 Honest to goodness, pretty much if the reticle is there thats where the bullets are going. I go shooting purposefully on windy days just to get a little challenge. The gun is just about that precise but those little 22cal bullets, even the 77gr ones are still light.

Boring is hyperbole but its also a little true. The man builds a fine weapon. Im sure some people here are going to k ow either him or his company.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its my baby.

I think the history and real world use of the SPR is whats so cool about it. Sure they have platforms way beyond what the SPR offered but it was a great answer to a dire need for the operators in Afghanistan mountains. It was a good answer too.

I dont know why I was never attracted to the Blocks but I wasnt thank goodness, alot of guys went down that rabbit hole too. They just never held the appeal for me like the SPRs did.

I actually had it set up as the ModH upon first getting it back and I liked it alot, and still have all of those components so could return it to that iteration if I wanted to but the Mod1 just looks right. Plus I just got all of the foam cut for the case and have it all where I want it.

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
It's a good looking rifle, not sure why it's boring, though
I'm guessing he means that it's 'boringly accurate'...which is a fun problem to have!!!

OP...that's a fine-looking AR MK-12 rifle...and they're fun when you get above 300 meters..

I have a CMMG that I re-built out with an accurized 16" 'bull' barrel...no bayonet lug, nuthin!
It's a tad on the heavier side to lug around, but with a bipod, and on a non-windy day (key words - 'non-windy') it'll hold to an 8" target at 600 meters using .223 Remington boattails...it's a hoot to shoot out at dad's on the farm! Excellent for groundhogs, etc.

·
Registered
23 Posts
This is the reason I ask, through my research last year this is the first generation of this scope best I could determine by the information I gathered. It's unlike a
Motor vehicle Font Gas Rectangle Automotive tire
Wood Trigger Cylinder Gas Air gun
ny Leupold scope I've ever put my hands on.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Nightforce NXS 2.5-10×24, the Leupold is a nice OPTION but Id rather have the NXS, not that Ill ever get either so what the hey, Ill take one of each.

Remember, these rifles were fielded with certain equipment that was obviously about as well suited to the tasks they were needed for that many of them were used as issued but once they were forwarded to the units the end users could and sometimes would personalize them to suit their individual needs or wants.

There has to be photographic evidence of one in the wild with the option you want to use for it to even begin to be correct, preferably more than just one pic too. These are just the rules of the mk12 clone game I learned on. I didnt make them up.

·
Registered
320 Posts
That’s why I buy off the shelf.
Same. Kinda comes down to what you are using it for and how much money you have to spend. I'm not a sniper, nor do I plan on becoming one when I grow up. I shoot for fun and to train for defensive carry. I have an old AK with an Aimpoint on it that shoots well enough out to 300 yards I guess should the balloon ever go up and we gotta "di di mau!"😆

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mine isnt as costly as 90% of the more correct clones believe me. And I bought piece by piece over a number of years. I thought that buying the best heartbeat for it was the most important and then makebit look externally as close as I could afford.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Everyones a little different. I have a hard time lining up with a lot of stocks for cheek weld. Oddly, the magpul moe rifle stock is the only one that works for me well with a lpvo. With no riser. Anytime my face gets higher I lose the window. But I am most def a monkey, and my glass is ALWAYS a 1-6×24 at least with the 5.56/.223
My farthest good shooting tops at 300. Everything else is windage/luck/good notes.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just can't ever get my cheek welded just right for good eye alignment. I like that version of a cheek rest. I'm gonna try that!
Im ahead of you there. Just get you a small piece of minicell foam and gorrilla tape, works for me. Jist wipe your stock down with some alchohol first. And make sure its far enough rearwards to allow the CH to function. Tape be damned I say, it helps the shooting.😉

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Took this baby out today after a good deep cleaning a few weeks ago, the first in about 500-600 rounds and was expecting 40 or 50 shots to settle her back down but it really only took about 20 to foul it and it started to shoot really good again, not that it was shooting bad. 23.6gr of 8208xbr is still this rifles favorite load, it just stacks them up.
Brown Handwriting Wood Font Tints and shades

.350" 3 [email protected] 100yds

Gas Art Circle Recreation Symmetry

.196"@ 100yds
Handwriting Vehicle Font Art Aircraft

.382"@100yds
Water Ecoregion Body of water Wood Landscape

10 [email protected] 100yds of the 23.6gr of 8208xbr again. It loves that load. Oh, all rounds were with sierrs 77gr SMK's. Even that last 10 round group is less than an inch, .848".

That rifle makes me look like I can shoot.😉

Oh shoot, I just remembered, these rounds were using the 77gr Berger OTMs. Im running dangerously low on the Sierrs SMKs and thought Id try the Bergers, I thinks I likes 'em.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts