Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
finder of holes
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If any of you have a family like mine this holiday season brings out the drama in everyone: Who's going where, who's talking to who, why are they not coming here/going there, what gift do I send so and so, etc etc. I always wondered how nice it'd be to live in a close knit family where everyone gets along and where holidays aren't drama fests.

Well just so you all know if you're under similar circumstances you're not alone. Too bad there's not some sort of time warp to by-pass it all.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
. I always wondered how nice it'd be to live in a close knit family where everyone gets along and where holidays aren't drama fests.
Well I knew how nice it could be in a family that gets along... and then I married into my wife's family.

She has identical twin brothers that sometimes don't speak to each other, and a dangerously crazy sister-in-law who needs to be locked away somewhere.

I usually find a corner somewhere out of range and sit in it.

Oh... and the entire bunch of them are screaming left wing liberal democrats.
And they love to discuss politics (loudly) at every holiday gathering.
Hmmm... I just convinced myself to stay home this year.
I don't think I can stand another Obama rally.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Christmas Day is a great get together.
We do a lot of preparation prior so the day is not stressfull.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Having a wife and two grown daughters, I'm pretty much on a "need to know" basis. I'm sure they will tell me what I need to know, where to go, when, and what they want for Christmas. But I'm used to it!

(reference my signature line!)

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Wife, Plus EX in the area for holiday gatherings of the family, 10 adult kids, all married, 25 3/4 grandkids...Our family get togethers during the Christmas Holidays are about as 'close' as the 2012 Republican Convention/United Nations General Assembly/ OPEC Oil Producers Meetings all rolled into one massive dinner -day.
(and about as congenial as weel.)

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Christmas day is spent at my brother-in-laws house. He has a big house and will have 50 or more people there. Dinner is great and its one of the few times I will have a glass of wine or two......or three. We have been doing this for abut 30 years.

·
finder of holes
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Having a wife and two grown daughters, I'm pretty much on a "need to know" basis. I'm sure they will tell me what I need to know, where to go, when, and what they want for Christmas. But I'm used to it!

(reference my signature line!)
I like your sig.

Pretty much the same with me. I'm told where I'm going over the holidays which I guess is alright and I am used to it as well.

·
Registered
168 Posts
My family used to all get together at Thanksgiving and then again at Christmas. Thanksgiving would be fine, but nobody was ready to see each other again when Christmas came around. Now both holidays are spent with just my immediate family, and although I didn't like the idea of not seeing all my family, the past few years have been some of the best holiday seasons I've ever had.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
strangely, as disfunctional as my extended family is, they do holidays well. when my mom was still around we did holidays together and with other local friends and family it was fine. now that she's gone, dad and i are doing the holiday thing more, and happily we, too, also get along well. he's coming down here for a week around christmas, and it's going to be total, full-out, hang-around, have fun, eat, drink, shoot (not in that order), guy time!

·
Registered
403 Posts
If any of you have a family like mine this holiday season brings out the drama in everyone: Who's going where, who's talking to who, why are they not coming here/going there, what gift do I send so and so, etc etc. I always wondered how nice it'd be to live in a close knit family where everyone gets along and where holidays aren't drama fests.

Well just so you all know if you're under similar circumstances you're not alone. Too bad there's not some sort of time warp to by-pass it all.
me too bro, it sucks, i watch "Duck Dynasty" and i just love their closeness and prayer at the table. i wish i had a family like them.

·
Banned
163 Posts
Let me tell you something brother. I learned a long time ago while attending a Lutheran Church, that if you get people to open up to you, we ALL have families that are all dysfunctional..
Reb

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
strangely, as disfunctional as my extended family is, they do holidays well. when my mom was still around we did holidays together and with other local friends and family it was fine. now that she's gone, dad and i are doing the holiday thing more, and happily we, too, also get along well. he's coming down here for a week around christmas, and it's going to be total, full-out, hang-around, have fun, eat, drink, shoot (not in that order), guy time!
That's great mate.
This year may be first year in my fifty six years that Christmas lunch won't be spent at my Mum's place.
At 92 we are hoping that she will break tradition and spend the day with us.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I am a Pastor and I deal with drama just about every day of my life. Every family has a certain amount. I am convinced that there are some people who just can't function without some sort of drama in their life and this is especially true during the holidays.

We had one family in our community that used to get into a physical fight every time they got together. The Sheriff always got called out to their house. He finally told them that it would be best if they didn't have anymore family get togethers. LOL. Unfortunately, that is just the way to is with some folks.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Today's society just has so many feeling slighted if they don't get what they want, like somehow they're entitled to get what THEY want regardless of how it effects another. Usually it's these folks that are the ones wanting to put on the "show" and host everyone. Host not because of any reason other than making it a show of them and their home. Too many also make these holiday events into so much more of a major event than they need to. It's family and friends so why not keep things casual? Unfortunatly this also filters over into those that worry too much about what they give....and sadder still, what they get. Gotta love the materialistic. Funny that many of these folks will also be the first to cry about anyone saying "happy holidays" rather than "merry Christmas". Yeah, they're all for the name but not the meaning they try to rally behind.
Luckily, our family/friends prefer the simple as well so there's no chaos or drama at all. We can simply enjoy each other's company. In all actuality, if it weren't for our son, I'd get up and have it be no different than any other day of the year. Can't be less dramatic than that. :)

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
I am in the midst of a lot of dysfunctional people.

My wife has no family left except a 63 year old brother who's on disability and only lives for his cable TV and video games (?).

My family is down to an early Alzheimer's mother in assisted living who runs everyone away with coarse criticism, and an older brother who likes staying incognito. He lives somewhere in the area but I don't even know where. I have three nieces in other states who are the same way.

So I try to swallow a brief visit to my mother and usually give her a gift card. My wife and I spend the rest of the day at home in peace.

·
finder of holes
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Let me tell you something brother. I learned a long time ago while attending a Lutheran Church, that if you get people to open up to you, we ALL have families that are all dysfunctional..
Reb
Yeah I can see that. It seems to me though that there are many folks out there who actually look foreward to this time of year instead of it being more of a hassle. But with that said I guess it's all how you take it too.

·
finder of holes
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Today's society just has so many feeling slighted if they don't get what they want, like somehow they're entitled to get what THEY want regardless of how it effects another. Usually it's these folks that are the ones wanting to put on the "show" and host everyone. Host not because of any reason other than making it a show of them and their home. Too many also make these holiday events into so much more of a major event than they need to. It's family and friends so why not keep things casual? Unfortunatly this also filters over into those that worry too much about what they give....and sadder still, what they get. Gotta love the materialistic. Funny that many of these folks will also be the first to cry about anyone saying "happy holidays" rather than "merry Christmas". Yeah, they're all for the name but not the meaning they try to rally behind.
Luckily, our family/friends prefer the simple as well so there's no chaos or drama at all. We can simply enjoy each other's company. In all actuality, if it weren't for our son, I'd get up and have it be no different than any other day of the year. Can't be less dramatic than that. :)
Yeah my family has some dynamic controlling personalities who want certain people here, certain people there, and put on a show for the ones they invited to their home. It can be a bit ridicules.

·
finder of holes
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am a Pastor and I deal with drama just about every day of my life. Every family has a certain amount. I am convinced that there are some people who just can't function without some sort of drama in their life and this is especially true during the holidays.

We had one family in our community that used to get into a physical fight every time they got together. The Sheriff always got called out to their house. He finally told them that it would be best if they didn't have anymore family get togethers. LOL. Unfortunately, that is just the way to is with some folks.
A Pastor with firearms. Man you got God on your side and you're packing serious heat. You are the last person anyone should mess with. :)

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
2,305 Posts
Families put the fun in dysfunctional.

You get to pick your friends but not your family.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Both of my daughters are grown. We are going to my youngest daughter's home to spend Thanksgiving with her and her husband. My oldest daughter will be spending Thanksgiving at Ramstein AFB in Germany. We will all be going to my sister in law's to spend Christmas there. My brother passed away in September. I am not looking forward to that at all. Enjoy your family is my advice. Ignore the petty squabbles and get along with all. It just is not worth it. Yiogo

1 - 20 of 26 Posts