Ruger Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,442 Posts
Oklahoma would most certainly join Texas if Texas left the Union. We, too, have oil and gas; beef, poultry, swine, wheat, cotton, peanuts, air force bases; and a deep and abiding affection for all things conservative and Constitutional; and our education system is in step with the Texas model on a much smaller scale. Most folks in Texas and Oklahoma are interchangeable as far as personal values are concerned. One of my favorite authors, Stephen Coonts, wrote a novel, Liberty's Last Stand, which is a recipe for secession from the Union. And in the novel, the character representing President Obama is killed by one of his own people. It is a great read.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Oklahoma would most certainly join Texas if Texas left the Union. We, too, have oil and gas; beef, poultry, swine, wheat, cotton, peanuts, air force bases; and a deep and abiding affection for all things conservative and Constitutional; and our education system is in step with the Texas model on a much smaller scale. Most folks in Texas and Oklahoma are interchangeable as far as personal values are concerned. One of my favorite authors, Stephen Coonts, wrote a novel, Liberty's Last Stand, which is a recipe for secession from the Union. And in the novel, the character representing President Obama is killed by one of his own people. It is a great read.
We'll keep the Red River Rivalry on friendly terms. To tell the truth, most of the SEC would want to join a union. We will just have to keep the worms from Atlanta and zombies from Athens (that's UGA for y'all who don't know) out from Georgia and we would be ok.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Good points raised in an old post. I do like the thought of the seceding, or the process, joined by all other red states, & the pain in the ass it would be for the current administration. It will prob never happen, but I think in this current political climate, it's more possible than it has ever been. It wouldn't be a good thing for anybody, but we simply can't keep goin in the direction we are currently goin in. I use to laugh at such talk, but not so much any more.

·
Registered
60 Posts
For those who have no clue....
Texas cannot secede from the Union.
It can however divide itself into 5 different States.
The divide would make no difference in the number of Representatives in the House (number based on population) but it would make a difference in the Senate (2 per State).

American by birth, Texican by the grace of God.
Native born Texican, and dang proud of it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The divide would make no difference in the number of Representatives in the House (number based on population) but it would make a difference in the Senate (2 per State).

Secession not being legal and believing it will stop such an event is akin to thinking it is a crime to jaywalk will make everyone stand on the corner.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I feel like I'm crossing enemy territory when I drive thru Denver metro, those people hate Texans, folks outside of the big cities seem to be good people.

·
Registered
Ruger .44 Carbine, Security-Six, Service-Six, Mini-14, .30 Carbine Blackhawk
592 Posts

I'm not quite sure what legality has to do with it. The only reason it didn't happen in the 1860's was by force of arms.
There really is no provision in the Constitution that prevents states from leaving, nor any law which prevents it today.
SCOTUS "Texas vs. White" is often cited, but that was a SCOTUS ruling made after the war in regards to ownership of bonds.

Was it "legal" for the colonies to separate from England? It became immaterial simply because we won.
If the colonies had lost, the traitors would have been hung and the courts would have ruled it illegal.

The "Texas can divide into 4 additional states" is interesting, because the of the wording of the provision.
Quote: "“New States of convenient size not exceeding four in number, in addition to said State of Texas and having sufficient population, may, hereafter by the consent of said State, be formed out of the territory thereof, which shall be entitled to admission under the provisions of the Federal Constitution.”

Note that it says they are "entitled to admission", not required or automatic.
What if they did not apply for admission? Could the Federal government force them back in?

It is interesting to note that in the Texas declaration of causes for secession in 1861,
one provision points out the Federal Governments failure to protect the southern border and their failure reimburse the state of Texas when they paid to secure & patrol the border as one reason for leaving the union.
-things have not changed much.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I feel like I'm crossing enemy territory when I drive thru Denver metro, those people hate Texans, folks outside of the big cities seem to be good people.
Last time I spent time in Denver, everyone had the munchies......
:ROFLMAO: :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm not quite sure what legality has to do with it. The only reason it didn't happen in the 1860's was by force of arms.
There really is no provision in the Constitution that prevents states from leaving, nor any law which prevents it today.
SCOTUS "Texas vs. White" is often cited, but that was a SCOTUS ruling made after the war in regards to ownership of bonds.

Was it "legal" for the colonies to separate from England? It became immaterial simply because we won.
If the colonies had lost, the traitors would have been hung and the courts would have ruled it illegal.

The "Texas can divide into 4 additional states" is interesting, because the of the wording of the provision.
Quote: "“New States of convenient size not exceeding four in number, in addition to said State of Texas and having sufficient population, may, hereafter by the consent of said State, be formed out of the territory thereof, which shall be entitled to admission under the provisions of the Federal Constitution.”

Note that it says they are "entitled to admission", not required or automatic.
What if they did not apply for admission? Could the Federal government force them back in?

It is interesting to note that in the Texas declaration of causes for secession in 1861,
one provision points out the Federal Governments failure to protect the southern border and their failure reimburse the state of Texas when they paid to secure & patrol the border as one reason for leaving the union.
-things have not changed much.
This was resolved by SCOTUS in White v Texas, 74 US 700 150 years ago.

·
Registered
592 Posts
This was resolved by SCOTUS in White v Texas, 74 US 700 150 years ago.
Yes, SCOTUS ruled that states don't have the right to leave the Union.
I'm not sure what section of the Constitution they referred to though, in fact, they never really ruled if it's constitutional or not.

But that's not really the point,
Secession is not a legal process, a state does not go to court to petition for secession or ask for permission.

The question is, would the states rally around the flag to force another state to stay?
Would the Federal government use force to prevent a state from leaving in the 21st century?

We may be headed for a Soviet Union style break-up anyway.
If (or when) the economy collapses and the Federal government is unable to provide the services they provide (i.e. money to the states), the lose their hold over the states.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sorry, friend - I don't buy that things are bad, awful, and worsening. Spent a couple of years in Bosnia and saw what real trouble looked like.

The last secession of nearly half the states worked out poorly.

·
Registered
48 Posts
We need better trenching machines, something that can sever tectonic plates. Cut Texas loose. Cut California loose. The two could go adrift and collide in a giant matter/antimatter extravaganza. The world would be a better place.

·
Registered
8,410 Posts
Soooo, what’s the plan is Texas staying or going? 🤣

21 - 40 of 41 Posts