Ruger Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
/Brownster/Blk Dynamite
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever I get out to the range the older seasoned gentlemen are the nicest people I've ever met. You know who I'm taking about the ones who got their flannel on, cammo cap, leather yard work gloves, looks like they enjoy frequent beer and steak, etc. They always talkative to me and we shoot each others guns. Good people.

I know many of you on here fit that category so thanks and keep on, keep on! :)

·
Registered
12,851 Posts
Yea, good folks at the range, working together to have some fun and keep it safe for everyone.

·
Registered
583 Posts
yep, ranges are one of the friendliest places I know of these days

oh oh, I fit your description of attire except usually my NRA Instructor's cap. But I refuse to be called older, seasoned maybe, I try to be a gentleman, but not older ;)

but seriously, one of my favorite things to do lately has been mentoring new "Tyro" shooters at our local USPSA practical league. Most have shot before (varying experience levels), heck some have been young vets just out of their service. I really enjoy giving anyone a positive introduction to the sport, with safety first. The standing joke at our club has become that Tyros must understand Canadian accent :)

·
Registered
12,851 Posts
but seriously, one of my favorite things to do lately has been mentoring new "Tyro" shooters at our local USPSA practical league. Most have shot before (varying experience levels), heck some have been young vets just out of their service. I really enjoy giving anyone a positive introduction to the sport, with safety first. The standing joke at our club has become that Tyros must understand Canadian accent :)
Pardon my ignorance, but what is tyro?

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I know many of you on here fit that category so thanks and keep on, keep on! :)
I'm older and seasoned, and try to be nice and talkative, but not big on flannel, caps, or beer. You gotta look for the bald sober guy in a plaid sport shirt and jeans........:D

·
Registered
583 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, but what is tyro?
"Tiro" is classical Latin meaning a "recently enlisted soldier or recruit". The Latin word was transliterated into Greek with various spellings.

so a new shooter at a match is called a Tyro. A bit of trivia - our league gives out little pins for winners of each level. Tyro is the only pin that you only get one chance to win, because you can only be a Tyro at first match, after that you are a D level shooter.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
I'm older and seasoned, and try to be nice and talkative, but not big on flannel, caps, or beer. You gotta look for the bald sober guy in a plaid sport shirt and jeans........:D
Hey this is me except for I still have my hair it is just silver now:eek:

·
Registered
597 Posts
I think I agree....The older guys at the LGS/Range I visit are pretty mellow and friendly. They aren't cocky like another LGS/Range I went to before where they consist of 20+ year old employees who seem to know-it-all and look down on you.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
You are welcome. :)

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Us older guys remember growing up when if you misbehaved in public your hind end suffered the consequences. It stuck with us along with being told to treat folks like you would want to be treated.
I agree on the LGS comment. One nearest me has some youngsters dressed in "tactical" clothing from head to toe. Their maturity level and ability to interact with customers is still a work in progress.

·
Banned
208 Posts
The older guys at my range are pretty awesome generally. They're the ones that ALWAYS offer to let me shoot one of their guns if I enquire about what they're shooting. I generally try to be polite to everyone...the younger more obnoxious types, I just stay away from. I'm 28 for reference.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
We have over 800 members in our club.
I have not met all of them but most of the folk I've met are great.
Our club captain took me "under his wing" when I joined and we have become firm friends.
I am now in a position to show this to newbies myself.

·
Skeptical of Everything
3,655 Posts
I'm considered one of the "old farts" by some at my club, but on Tuesday mornings the real "older seasoned gentlemen" usually show up to shoot whatever they brought ... and usually spend as much time shooting the breeze. I've learned quite a bit form these fellows. :)

·
/Brownster/Blk Dynamite
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
One day I was at Impact Guns range here in west valley. It's an indoor, 4 lane, run down range in a bad part of town and these straight up young gangster guys were there and didn't know what the hell they were doing. First they left all the doors open going in the range, put their targets way down range and started shooting rapid fire barely hitting their target. That be the first time I was really nervous at the range.

·
Registered
224 Posts
My grandson and I met a young fellow (40ish) who was a heck of a nice guy but he and I were both allowed to shoot his like new M-1. Took me back to 1961 and my younger days.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts