Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a misfire is??

Here is my issue, In hindsight and the act of random events not serving me well I SBR'd my Grandfather's 10/22 he left me a few months before the takedown was announced. The take down would have been a better form 1 host and it still bugs me to this day but as some of you may know once you do the paperwork and pay the tax for a short barrel rifle, your pretty much stuck with it.

I posted a pic of my fun little SBR in my new member thread.

My problem is the rare but annoying failure to fire, It seems to happen less with Federal target match and more with Remington. It will also fail to feed (maybe once every other reload) but i'm thinking that may be a mag issue and will be using more mags in the future to research that.

I replaced the trigger guard assembly with a timmeny and am running the original bolt group. The problem was present before the trigger swap.

Does the group suggest replacing the last original parts, the bolt assembly group? or should I be looking at something else?

I don't know the age of the rifle other then grandpa had it when I was a kid 30 to 35 years ago. The bolt has some wear and tear but not in terrible shape.

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
It seems to happen less with Federal target match and more with Remington
Stop using what has the issues for starters. If you car runs bad on regular but good on mid-grade, you don't use the regular. ;) Find an ammo that shoots best and stick with that one.

Check the firing pin. Remove and clean it's slot in the bolt. Wouldn't hurt to replace it with an aftermarket one but if the tip seems ok, reassemble after it's cleaned and try again.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Probably the number one cause for occasional misfire is the ammunition. As I understand it, getting the priming compound into the entire rim is the weak part in the manufacturing process for rimfire ammunition.

Number two would be fouling or other problem leading to light primer strikes.

I used to shoot a ton of .22 LR - back when it was available - in Steel Challenge matches and I would generally have a misfire in every other station, about once every 100 rounds. This was even though I was using good quality ammunition (most of the time).

Jim

·
Registered
7 Posts
Check the firing pin indent on the cases that fail to fire and compare to your "normal" indents. That should help determine if it's a FP or ammo issue, whcih can then help determine how to proceed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Short firing pin?

It could be caused by the firing pin being a bit short. When pressed forward fully, it should be about .005-.010" below the bolt face for consistent ignition.

It could also be that the firing pin is rising upward and barely hitting on the rim occasionally, due to loose fit between the operating handle and the top of the bolt.

The op handle is supposed to hold the firing pin down tight, so it can't raise up, but some guns have too generous tolerances, allowing the firing pin to move up to where it barely strikes the top edge, causing mis-fires.

This is particularly likely to happen on well worn, older 10/22's. The solution is to pin down the firing pin so it can't move upward, as in this thread from RFC -
http://http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251029

Best of luck curing your problem. Joe

·
Registered
917 Posts
Probably the number one cause for occasional misfire is the ammunition. As I understand it, getting the priming compound into the entire rim is the weak part in the manufacturing process for rimfire ammunition.

Number two would be fouling or other problem leading to light primer strikes.

I used to shoot a ton of .22 LR - back when it was available - in Steel Challenge matches and I would generally have a misfire in every other station, about once every 100 rounds. This was even though I was using good quality ammunition (most of the time).

Jim
Yup, I agree, especially if the Remington ammo is the Golden Bullet. I have had better luck with their blue labeled Match ammo though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I do settle with what ammo works the best but was curious if I was missing something.

I'm a clean freak so thats not an issue.

I'll save the misfires to measure the strike, normally I let them fall or reload them.

I think i'll look into a new firing pin just for the heck of it.

Thanks everyone for the input.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts