Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Darned if I know - I'm still working on it. I have some favorites, but I don't know that any of them are perfect. It seems to me that the decision has to be based on the circumstances, the uniform of the day, so-to-speak, and what makes me feel confident. I have been in pursuit of just the right gun since I bought my KP345. Love the gun, but I'm a pretty little guy and I haven't found the right combination to really conceal it. It took me a while to get comfortable with carrying concealed, but now I carry just about every where I go. (Can't carry at work - I would be instantly fired.) When I have to go out with a tucked in shirt, I usually carry a Kel-Tec P3AT. It simply disappears in my pocket. Not my first choice (or second or third) in fire power, but it's probably better than a pointed stick. With a polo shirt worn outside, I have a few more choices. I have a S&W 442 .38 and a Taurus PT745 Millenium Pro. The 442 completely disappears and you'd have to look really hard to spot the Taurus. Six rounds of .45 with one up the pipe definitely boosts my confidence level. I bought a Ruger SP101 DAO .357 Monday, but I don't have it yet. My transaction got put on hold for some reason, so I couldn't take it home that day. The shop is closed the rest of this week, so I guess I'll have to pick it up next Monday. I slipped it into the same IWB holster I carry my 442 and Taurus in, and it seems to hide pretty well. As much as I like autos, the old LEO in me still seems more comfortable with a revolver. Hard to teach an old dog new tricks. I wish I thought I could really conceal the KP345, 944 or 95 under a polo shirt, but nothing I've tried really works that well - the butt (gun's, not mine) always shows. Maybe with the perfect iwb holster............

·
Registered
842 Posts
rman, I don't believe there is a perfect all around carry gun. I love the P97 with the .45 ACP rd and carry it most days. At 6'2" and 218 lbs I have enough "belly muscle" it fits under my belt and conceals well except as you noted the grip on any P series pistol prints with most lighter shirts. I like revolvers too and sometimes carry a little Taurus 85 that hides well but I'm really not all that enthusiastic with the .38Sp in a 2" barrel. Did look at a SP 101 that although a hair larger and just a bit heavier would probably be a much better choice. I still carry this old scuffed and dinged S&W model 10 at times. Some people with the latest autos or newer lightweght revolvers may sniff at this old gun but it works every time and with the right loads I feel well protected, plus I probably shoot it best of all.:)
Baker

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
If I could only have one, I'd keep my P90...reliable, powerful enough, durable, and fine for belt holster or IWB...but I'd want two or three...in case one went down on me....

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
I'm carrying daily my P345PR, and occasionally, when clothes are tight, my wife's SP-101... I feel very comfortible with both, physically and firepower wise.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Well it is at least a good excuse to keep buying guns to find that perfect one!

There are so many different carry systems out there that it can get confusing. Everything from special undershirts with holsters built in, to "thunderware". Off body carry, owb, iwb, barami hip grip, fanny packs, hidden holster vests---and the list grows.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have found the my P89 hides well with a Don Hume IWB at about 3:30 to 4:00 position

Usually wear dockers and polo type shirt untucked. Or Levis and dark color t shirt.

We are pretty close to being neighbors rman. I am in Hoyt.

tk

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
here is a link about concealed carry and holster selection. Opinions will differ but it does offer some options and will get you thinking:

http://www.spw-duf.info/holster.html

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I am almost always the champion of the 45 acp. I like the 1911 type of pistoil have several and one on lay away don't really need it want it more than anything else. What do I carry a Browning Hi-Power in 9MM I have it loaded with supper hot loads and sub-machine gun amo, also a Taurus in 45 Long Colt.
The reason I carry the Hi-Power being a reloader I'd be ther picking up my brass if I carried a 45 acp. lol. Actually I like carrying different weapon's this year its the Hi-Power and the Taurus.
I like carrying an auto main weapon witha revoler back up I know others that carry a revoler main gun with a auto back up. Me bottom line there is a lot to be said for a large caliber wheel gun as a back as compared to an auto back up.
Truck gun one that never leaves my truck, well deputy shared that link about the judge I figured well I got to have one working on finding one now and saving my pennies to get one.
Bottom line for me there is no end in sight, when I get so old that I can't shoot the bigger calibers there is always a good 22. But for as long as I can I will carry something.
I do feel for the beinger in the world of carrying a ccw they should cut their eye teeth on a 38 sp. in a 3 inches at least. I feel that is a situtation of life or death they would be better off not having the possiblity of a jam. Clearing a jamed weapon, can and most time does cost the split seconds the person would need. And they may not have that.
Almost anyone can go weeks or months without traget practice and shoot a wheel gun reason ablity well, with an auto there needs to be more practice.
Those of us that are regular shooters shoot often, practice is it the very key to ones personal safety.

·
Premium Member
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
quote:Originally posted by tkarter

I have found the my P89 hides well with a Don Hume IWB at about 3:30 to 4:00 position

Usually wear dockers and polo type shirt untucked. Or Levis and dark color t shirt.

We are pretty close to being neighbors rman. I am in Hoyt.

tk
No kidding? I live on the West side of Perry Lake. I'm about 6 miles East of Meriden and about 7 miles Southeast of Ozawkie. Where do you go to shoot? I don't have anywhere outdoors to go any more. I shoot at Kaw Valley Gun Club in Topeka.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I intend to shoot at Kaw Valley here one of these days. If they are willing to let me join.

I currently have places to shoot outdoors at relative houses out near Lecompton where I work so I generally get a little practice in any night after work I want.

Know you area pretty well there.

tk

·
Premium Member
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't think there would be any problem with letting you join. About all it takes is filling out a short application and giving them $35.00. It costs $7.00 per hour for your range time. It's a pretty nice little indoor range. Lecompton isn't far from me either (About 14 miles) if I could get across the river. Sure be glad when they get the bridge finished. That's the way I usually take when I go to Lawrence.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I need to get about joinging up then. :)

Yes the bridge being closed makes a long drive to work for me. Fun at today's gas prices.

Will have to try and get a meet face to face some time there. It would be my pleasure.

tk

·
Premium Member
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sounds good to me. Maybe we could meet at the range and kill 2 birds with one stone.

·
Registered
880 Posts
btrumanj....

Understand how you feel with th' model 10. Spent many a "graveyard shift" in some "undesirable places" with a M10 and a std police 870. I never felt inadequate or "under-gunned!" Practiced with it every chance I got until it was, by feel, an "extension" of my forearm!

While we carry something different today...the "10" is still/always a "perfect 10" with me!

If you get a chance, handle the 2" variety...either round or square butt! Perfect in th' hand!!

·
Registered
576 Posts
I think deputy hit the nail on the head..."it is a least a good excuse to keep buying guns to find that perfect one."

The "hunt" for the gun is the fun part...in a gun shop, a pawn shop, a gun show...wherever. I love continually being on a "hunt." Most of the time I have no clue what I am "hunting" for, but I usually find something nice.

There are so many possibilities for concealed carry. What you are confident with and comfortable carrying differ with all of us depending on our situations.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I think deputy hit the nail on the head..."it is a least a good excuse to keep buying guns to find that perfect one."

The "hunt" for the gun is the fun part...in a gun shop, a pawn shop, a gun show...wherever. I love continually being on a "hunt." Most of the time I have no clue what I am "hunting" for, but I usually find something nice.

There are so many possibilities for concealed carry. What you are confident with and comfortable carrying differ with all of us depending on our unique situations.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Jody, I had a M10 2" round butt as a kid...it is balanced and real easy to shoot-just heavy enough...I've been looking for a 2" R.B. Model 64...druther have it than my M65 3"...not yet found one...I think they're lots better than a M36 Chief...

·
Registered
758 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Ron Honner

The eternal quest.......

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.