Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The ammo saga continues. Yesterday the wife and I ran errands and stopped by Walmart. The case was empty except for 1 lonely box of Winchester Power Point 30-06 for $16 and some 350 Legend (whatever that is). Bought the Winchester.

I got my second shingles shot yesterday during our errands and basically slept like crap last night. So, on a tip from a friend, I went to the Academy Sports near me. It was drizzling and I was the first car in the parking lot at 8am. I played with my phone watching youtube videos while several cars started showing up. When the first car door opened I went to the doors and was first in line. They had 12 boxes of Monarch 9mm FMJ. Limit was 3, and yes I am that guy, I took 3, 200 round boxes ($40 per 200) for my efforts. They had 5.56 and 7.62x39 also, but steel case, and I dont shoot that in my ARs. If you bother to repeat what I did, the 9/7.62/5.56 is up front at the customer service counter. Normally I pass on any steel case ammo, but my Taurus G2 only cost me $175, so I dont really mind running steel through it. I actually bought it for that reason.

I dropped my 9mm ammo in my trunk then went back in and went back to the hunting department. There I found Aguilla, 22LR for $25 per 500 round brick. Bought 3 of those (3 box limit back there too). Left maybe 20 boxes on the shelf. They had a good selection of shotgun ammo, but it was hunting variety. The did have some stout steel loads one could use in lieu of buckshot.

The quest for ammo has become a game for me. I have bought all through the years, so I have a nice stash. But whenever I find it at reasonable prices, I am continuing to buy more. I expect this situation will last a long time. I hope I am wrong.

It's pretty obvious, if you haven't figured it out yet, that there is a booming second hand market for ammo on GB at nutty prices. Mine is not for sale.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Our walmart has 2 boxes of 350 legend. It's been on the shelf all alone for a awhile. I'll admit the round has my curiosity. I did score a 100 round 12 ga ammo box. Going to give it to my brother for Christmas.

·
Exchequer
4,697 Posts
For my current needs, I think I have enough. I'm going to try to wait it out until the plague is under better control and (I hope) manufacturing is able to catch up a bit.

Worst case scenario, I have a new friend who claims to have 10k rounds of 9mm. Gonna try to stay on his good side and remain friends just in case.😁

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Ammo shopping is even more of a challenge in New Jersey. Went to the indoor range / lgs this morning they now have a white board with ammo sales updates. No over the counter sales of handgun ammo, one box for range use only. No shotgun buckshot either. Will sell you one box of ammo with weapon sale. Lines at counter to buy guns start when they open and phone is ringing off the hook. Been told by owner just go into range and shoot ,I'll find you later.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have adequate ammo supply, but my outdoor range that I have an annual pass to is closed (COVID).
Indoor ranges are a bit of a drive, plus I don't like feeling like the meter's running ($$) while I shoot. One of them is selling ammo for range use only. Another one has no restrictions on range use or quantity, but also has very little ammo!

·
Registered
228 Posts
About three fourths of the time I go in to a Cabelas I can find something in 9mm. If I go early I may get there in time to get limit of five 50 rounders of defensive (Herter, Blazer) at reasonable price. Sometimes it's only the expensive defensive ammo, also at a not terrible price for defensive. My LGS shelves are really empty of any handgun ammo and when they send an email that they got some, it's gone in a few hours.

I have enough and reload, but get a little at a time because it wont get better at least until summer, even if the coming fed administration was friendlier.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
About three fourths of the time I go in to a Cabelas I can find something in 9mm. If I go early I may get there in time to get limit of five 50 rounders of defensive (Herter, Blazer) at reasonable price. Sometimes it's only the expensive defensive ammo, also at a not terrible price for defensive. My LGS shelves are really empty of any handgun ammo and when they send an email that they got some, it's gone in a few hours.

I have enough and reload, but get a little at a time because it wont get better at least until summer, even if the coming fed administration was friendlier.
We have a Cabelas in the next county also. I have heard the same report on them. Gonna try them next week. It appears to me that the best way to play this game is to concentrate on national chain stores that have the buying power. I think the manufacturers are trying to keep them stocked at least minimally.

In the future I intend to give more support to Academy, Cabelas/Bass Pro, and Rural King. They seem to only be marking up what their wholesale cost is and maintaining their standard profit margin.

You may think I'm contributing to the problem and so be it, but I am not reselling anything for profit. So, maybe I am just making it harder for the resellers to find inventory. Judging by the line at Academy last week and the demographic I witnessed, I guarantee I saw resellers. I checked GB the day after I went and two guys in my area were advertising what I had just bought at 3X what I paid.

And this is why it will last longer than you think.

·
Registered
228 Posts
We have a Cabelas in the next county also. I have heard the same report on them. Gonna try them next week. It appears to me that the best way to play this game is to concentrate on national chain stores that have the buying power. I think the manufacturers are trying to keep them stocked at least minimally.

In the future I intend to give more support to Academy, Cabelas/Bass Pro, and Rural King. They seem to only be marking up what their wholesale cost is and maintaining their standard profit margin.

You may think I'm contributing to the problem and so be it, but I am not reselling anything for profit. So, maybe I am just making it harder for the resellers to find inventory. Judging by the line at Academy last week and the demographic I witnessed, I guarantee I saw resellers. I checked GB the day after I went and two guys in my area were advertising what I had just bought at 3X what I paid.

And this is why it will last longer than you think.
agree with all you said. I also agree with Cabela's per-visit limit. But I don't need much as I reload, don't shoot a lot, and have bought small extra amounts of ammo and reloading supplies over the years.

I, too, appreciate Cabela's not gouging on ammo. Given prices I see on ammoseek and elsewhere, they are pretty much passing on their costs.

Happy things-that-go-boom hunting.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I was in the neighborhood of Cabelas this morning and darn if my 4Runner started turning and braking on it's own into the parking lot. I need to get my SUV checked out.

While I was there I went in to see the ammo situation. The salesman back there said they get almost no 9mm or 5.56mm in stock (or 45acp, 380, .38, .357, 44mag, 40S&W) and suggested Academy. No Pmags at Cabelas. They did have a nice assortment of big bore pistol cartridges for hunting mastodons and some weird calibers from Mars.

Academy was also on my route and the darn SUV pulled the same trick. They had some 7.62X39 and 2 lonely 20 round (my favorite) 3rd gen Pmags for cheap. Now they have no Pmags. Academy didnt even have mastodon ammo.

While at Academy I did witness some ignorance in action. A guy was at the gun counter picking up his PC9. Not my cup of tea, but I overheard him saying he drove 3 hous to get the Ruger and did they have some extra mags for it. The clerk (not a kid mind you) in his most knowledgeable voice imeadiately said it takes SR9 mags and they were out. I smiled at them and looking at the customer said..... "I believe the PC9 takes Glock mags also"..... to which the counter guy laughed. I told him there were a bunch of Glock mags on the wall, shook my head, and headed for home.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm glad I stock up the last couple years, 18000 rds 9mm, 15000 40 sw, same things with 45,22,357 sig, 38 super, not bragging but you guys needed to see this coming a least a year ago and get it while you can.

I love it when this type post shows up. Next it will be the..........I should reload.

I have been buying ammo all along (typically when it was on sale) for probably 40 years now. I am sitting on more than I need, trust me. However, I will refrain from listing my inventory on the interwebs......never know who is looking. :oops:

This spring when Covid was just a whisper, I stocked up heavily on 9mm, 5.56, and 7.62X39. To me "ammoseek" is a game that entertains me.

I applaud your resourcefulness jhphurt, I really do. But many of us are still buying at appropriate prices and to me anyway, this time feels different.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Corndog, you think that just because you don't list what you have for ammo its going to stop anyone from taking it away from you,Everyone complaining about ammo shortages anyone that shoots alot should know better, plan ahead, shooting is all I freaking do buying guns, and ammo is or was on my mind 24-7 if I shot up a 1000 rds of something always got replaced with 2000 rds more.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I tend to check the ammo sections when I go into gun stores but am not buying anything at this point as I'm well stocked and don't feel like I should take more than I need. That said, nobody really has anything I'd buy anyway.

One tip: one of the Cabela's near me is apparently keeping high demand ammo behind the counter and not putting it out. I overheard a guy ask an employee if they had any an he went and got them for the customer. But there are no signs so unless you asked you would never know that have stock.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@jhphurt, I'm not concerned with "anyone", I am thinking a little bit more governmental than that. "Anyone", as you say, is gonna earn what they get from me, really earn it.

I do follow a similar routine, shoot some, buy twice as much to replace it. I watch rebates. I buy after Christmas on sales. I buy in bulk. All things that have ceased to exist these days.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
I would like some primers but cant say I need anything. Saw some 44 mag brass and ordered that but I have plenty 9mm ,38/357, .45 ap, 223/5.56, .308 and 44 mag. I can shoot anytime I want.
If you've been into guns for the last 25 years this mess shouldn't really surprise anyone.

Reactions: Corndog

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well......to make this thread a little more useful............... I just returned from Academy Sports. The Middletown, Louisville, Ky store was stocked well.

I had a tough decision to make. They had 10, 150 round boxes of Winchester white 9mm and maybe a 100, 200 round boxes of Winchester, white, 55gr brass, 5.56. I figured the 5.56 was my better choice. It was $90 for a 200 round range pack. If you live in the area, might want to stop in.

This info is intended for the Rugerforum.net. It is not for redistribution to others outside this community......THX

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Well......to make this thread a little more useful............... I just returned from Academy Sports. The Middletown, Louisville, Ky store was stocked well.

I had a tough decision to make. They had 10, 150 round boxes of Winchester white 9mm and maybe a 100, 200 round boxes of Winchester, white, 55gr brass, 5.56. I figured the 5.56 was my better choice. It was $90 for a 200 round range pack. If you live in the area, might want to stop in.

This info is intended for the Rugerforum.net. It is not for redistribution to others outside this community......THX
I was in a store today - Winchester white 5.56, 200 round packs. I wish it was $90. It was $190. Not joking. This was a small town hardware/general store kind of place thats been around for decades.

·
Registered
229 Posts
People buying ammo they don't need at every available moment they have is, to me, just as bad as people buying ammo and selling it for 3 or 4x what they paid. The only way this will end is when people stop showing up to Academy at 7am and waiting to buy up everything. It happened in 2013 and thank God it tapered off but now its back. I've been running around my city looking for one box of 5.7x28 for my dad's new 57. I refuse to buy online and pay the ridiculous prices they're asking. And don't get me started on the costs of shipping.

And that's all I want. One box. Fifty rounds. Not trying to stockpile for the rest of my days.

Sorry, rant's over.
...i'm so tired

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
@5timpy, I respectfully disagree. I am not going to even bother with you further except to add two things.

• I have resold (at my cost) some of what I bought to friends; and,
  • I saw a stack of 5.7x28 at Cabelas

have a nice day sir.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts