Ruger Forum banner

61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
I do not know if you guys follow screwtube, but the Texas AG has filed against CTD for price gouging. CTD is a TX based company. They "may" have to issue refunds to customers and "might" be assessed fines also. I have mixed feelings about this, but it could not happen to a sh&*ier company.

I logged into their site and the prices are the same as previous........................ $60 for a box of target grade 9mm.
They will fight it and claim higher prices for hardships to keep up with COVID protocols...unless they got grants then they are screwed.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Another update,

I had to stop by my office for a meeting today and was driving right past Academy Sports. I rolled in at 8:45 for their 9:00am door opening. There was around 30 people standing in line. I figured it was a lost cause. I guess a lot of people are off work between the Holidays. Anyway, jumped in line and had maybe another 20 more behind me before the doors opened.

Glad I stayed, I was the second to the last person to get 9mm FMJ. They still had a pile of 22 LR (Aguila) and 22 shorts (CCI). They also had a fair amount of 9mm hollowpoints in 20s and 50s boxes.

The 9mm I picked up was Aguila 124 grain, brass, fmj for $15/box of 50. Winchester White Box was same price and the guy behind me snagged it. Still 3 boxes each.

I walked back to the gun department and they had some 12 GA bird shot, Winchester PP 30-06 ($20/box) and some 10 mm (didn't get price on it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Another update,

I had to stop by my office for a meeting today and was driving right past Academy Sports. I rolled in at 8:45 for their 9:00am door opening. There was around 30 people standing in line. I figured it was a lost cause. I guess a lot of people are off work between the Holidays. Anyway, jumped in line and had maybe another 20 more behind me before the doors opened.

Glad I stayed, I was the second to the last person to get 9mm FMJ. They still had a pile of 22 LR (Aguila) and 22 shorts (CCI). They also had a fair amount of 9mm hollowpoints in 20s and 50s boxes.

The 9mm I picked up was Aguila 124 grain, brass, fmj for $15/box of 50. Winchester White Box was same price and the guy behind me snagged it. Still 3 boxes each.

I walked back to the gun department and they had some 12 GA bird shot, Winchester PP 30-06 ($20/box) and some 10 mm (didn't get price on it.
Wow that is awesome!..what a score man.

I scored some .45 caliber bullets and got them home and realized I grabbed the wrong dia. I got the .452 instead of the .458 I needed for my 45-70 reloads. Ooh what a rookie mistake.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Wow that is awesome!..what a score man.

I scored some .45 caliber bullets and got them home and realized I grabbed the wrong dia. I got the .452 instead of the .458 I needed for my 45-70 reloads. Ooh what a rookie mistake.

It is a pain in the rear for just 3 boxes of 9mm and 3 boxes of 30-06. I will be glad when the supply catches up, but I am expecting the price to stay high for a long time.

·
Registered
304 Posts
It is a pain in the rear for just 3 boxes of 9mm and 3 boxes of 30-06. I will be glad when the supply catches up, but I am expecting the price to stay high for a long time.
I'm glad I stocked up a good bit when it came to all my calibers...except .357. I didn't do very well stocking that up. I did find a .38 spl 500 ct box of bullets at cabelas but it was over priced and I cant find any .38/ .357 dies. One of my wife's uncles found an old (50) ct box of blazers he had and gave them to us. I will count that as a score!

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
When my step-sons father passed he had a small crate of ammo. Mostly 357 (no 38 special darn it) and 380, but it is all hollow point and I hate to send that down range. I have been trading around with the hollow points to get 9mm and 45acp range ammo.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Well, I shot up some of my ammo this morning. It felt very good to do so. Every time I pulled the trigger it cost me $4.00. I was using the good stuff.
IMG_0679.JPG

That is a common Merganser out past my Mallard decoy. Added a duck to my 2020 taxidermy bill. AND, since it is the Rugerforum......I took a Red Label "selfie" for you guys and gals.

IMG_0678.JPG

Back home safe and sound with a pair of Mallards for dinner tonight.

IMG_0681.JPG

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have cut back on my shooting a lot- have been shooting very little 9mm (despite buying a couple more 9mm guns since the pandemic started), still shooting .22lr, 22 win mag, 7.62x54R, 7.62x39, and occasionally .223 in my American predator.

I have one site that ships to my state so if something pops up that is about the same cost as the local shops are selling for, I will buy a case or 10 boxes as it's no more than driving an hour to buy two boxes...usually they have had 9mm, 7.62x39, 7.62x54R, .223 off and on throughout the week- you have to refresh the webpage like every 30 minutes to catch them though as they sell out almost immediately.

9mm is about 60 cents a round on average. .380 is between 45 cents around to 55 cents a round on average. .223 and 5.56 are 70 cents or more a round. 7.62x39 I have gotten for about 31 cents a round which is about what it was before the pandemic, 7.62x54R is about 50 cents a round... .22LR haven't seen in several weeks, but it was up above the obama days prices, close to 60 dollars for 500 rds maybe even more for bulk ammo. Thats rediculous - I have never paid that.

I had stored enough to be comfortable, but when ammo started drying up I bought what I could find at normal price, and have only bought about 700 rds of 9mm and 300 rds of .223 at the inflated prices... and I refuse to pay the $1 a round for 9mm ball ammo or other calibers out there... many small shops anything is $1 a round. unreal...

I even bought a .25 ACP Beretta .21A because I could find .25 ACP at the beginning of the pandemic for $20 a box (which is not bad) - so I bought a bunch of that too, and it's a joy to shoot actually!

Reactions: JACtheVaquero

·
Registered
364 Posts
Walmart Score...yes I did it... the guy they called over looked like he was disturbed from a nap. Anyway I am breaking my own rules.

I also scored a set of 30.06 dies and 45 cal lever revolution bullets from sportsmans warehouse.Scored .45 auto dies from the LGS. Still can't find primers but I am finding powder.

Last time I saw 12 gauge and 20 gauge in walmart, I bought 400 rounds of each... Only because I will shoot 200 rounds in a trip to the range for sporting clays and skeet, and I haven't seen regular priced shotgun ammo for months...

·
Registered
304 Posts
Last time I saw 12 gauge and 20 gauge in walmart, I bought 400 rounds of each... Only because I will shoot 200 rounds in a trip to the range for sporting clays and skeet, and I haven't seen regular priced shotgun ammo for months...
You need to see my other post on the Ammo dump!

I hit huge at the LGS last weekend. I have enough waterfowl loads to finish the season now.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
A depressing update,

After the senate race in Georgia was concluded, I figured might as well visit Academy Sports to get out of the house. I arrived 40 minutes early and the line was pretty long already. By 8:50 a clerk came out front and said "no ammo came in their shipment last night". Everybody muttered and walked off to their cars. I wandered out to my car and was finishing my cigar (wife doesn't like me stinking up the cars....sigh). I decided when they opened, that I was already there and might as well go in and get some lithium batteries I needed. They were opening a couple small boxes of ammo at the front counter.

Hmm, that seemed sneaky. Turns out they had a few small cases of 50 round boxes of CCI 22WMR HPs. I have 2 friends that have that caliber. Bought 3 boxes of it and traded it for some 00 buck from one friend and a box of 30-06 from another. I guess it was not a wasted trip after all.

This is the weird part. Last time I was there they had a good stock of field loads for shotguns back in the gun department. Low brass stuff in small shot sizes for doves. Well, there was exactly ZERO boxes of anything. Not even the weird rifle calibers. Completely empty shelves. I talked with the clerk who knows me now and she said they have been told the ammo deliveries will be fewer and contain less product for the next few months at least.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
A more optimistic update,

My wife had errands to run and I offered to drive her. I needed some outside time. Luckily, I offered to push the cart.

• first stop Walmart. I picked up some oil and walked by the empty ammo cabinet. Wait, oh my, a single solitary box of 15 rounds, Winchester OO buck. $18.
  • second stop the pharmacy for pneumonia shots, no ammo there.
  • third stop Rural King. Wife wanted a big bag of bird seed. She sent me in. Went to gun department and they were stocked on several things. One box per item limit. Found Hornady Critical Defense 9mm, 20 rounds for $18 and a box of 50 rounds of Armscorp 357 fmj, close enough to 38s for me, $20 a box.

See what happens when you take the wife out shopping.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
A more optimistic update,

My wife had errands to run and I offered to drive her. I needed some outside time. Luckily, I offered to push the cart.

• first stop Walmart. I picked up some oil and walked by the empty ammo cabinet. Wait, oh my, a single solitary box of 15 rounds, Winchester OO buck. $18.
  • second stop the pharmacy for pneumonia shots, no ammo there.
  • third stop Rural King. Wife wanted a big bag of bird seed. She sent me in. Went to gun department and they were stocked on several things. One box per item limit. Found Hornady Critical Defense 9mm, 20 rounds for $18 and a box of 50 rounds of Armscorp 357 fmj, close enough to 38s for me, $20 a box.

See what happens when you take the wife out shopping.
Soooo, what happened to the birdseed ?

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Uh Oh......good catch.

I got it on the way to the register, and my 2 flashlights. I love Rural King. We live in the country and visit them pretty often. ******* shopping at its best, especially on free popcorn and hot dog day when we make a "date" out of it.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Uh Oh......good catch.

I got it on the way to the register, and my 2 flashlights. I love Rural King. We live in the country and visit them pretty often. ******* shopping at its best, especially on free popcorn and hot dog day when we make a "date" out of it.
No worries. ;) Been there, do that too. :)

No Rural Kings, but we have plenty others that do Dogs and Burgers fairly regular.

Reactions: Corndog

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
2,336 Posts
Bought five boxes of Federal Premium .44 magnum and three boxes of Federal Premium .338 Winchester Magnum at pre-panic prices from the LGS.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Bought five boxes of Federal Premium .44 magnum and three boxes of Federal Premium .338 Winchester Magnum at pre-panic prices from the LGS.
Good for you sir. The LGS's around me are gouging to varying degrees. I can understand it to a certain extent, inventory is down and they need to make a living. I am finding I have the best luck going to national chains that have better buying power and whom don't rely just on gun sales to keep the lights on.

I happened to catch a screwtube video where a guy said that Basspro/Cabelas has quit selling online. Academy Sports has also. I am OK with that if they are trying to increase store traffic, but when I see gouging it gets burned into my brain and it will take me a long time to forget.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Dang looks like I missed a couple of good postings. Nice scores.

Sportsmans is also not shipping ammo and certain reloading equipment to households due to low stock.

I was in the blind most of the day today I nailed 1 decent size honker and only used one shell! So depending on how tomorrow goes I might not have to replace much this week!

61 - 80 of 89 Posts