Ruger Forum banner

121 - 140 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
Update,

I stopped by Basspro again today on my way to my weekly construction job progress meeting. No line for ammo today. They had a nice pile of Winchester 5.56 green tip 62 grain AR ammo. The max was still 5 boxes and it was $12.99 for a box of 20 rounds (up $1 from last week). The lady there knows me now and said they have only gotten in one small shipment of 9mm since I was there last and it went in 15 minutes.

To show my appreciation for Basspro not gouging on ammo, I went downstairs and bought a new ultra light spin-casting rod and reel, which happened to be on sale. I had planned on getting one this spring anyway. Also picked up a few plastic grubs and a big spool of Stren fishing line.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Update,

I stopped by Basspro again today on my way to my weekly construction job progress meeting. No line for ammo today. They had a nice pile of Winchester 5.56 green tip 62 grain AR ammo. The max was still 5 boxes and it was $12.99 for a box of 20 rounds (up $1 from last week). The lady there knows me now and said they have only gotten in one small shipment of 9mm since I was there last and it went in 15 minutes.

To show my appreciation for Basspro not gouging on ammo, I went downstairs and bought a new ultra light spin-casting rod and reel, which happened to be on sale. I had planned on getting one this spring anyway. Also picked up a few plastic grubs and a big spool of Stren fishing line.
Thanks. It's getting close and about time to respool some of the reels for spring once it gets around to getting here.

Reactions: Corndog

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
Update

I needed to pick up a part for a motorcycle repair and the dealer was 1 block from Academy. I have been skipping them due to lines but stopped by anyway. Around 100 people there at 10 minutes to opening. I parked in the fire-lane and looked in the front door at the customer service counter. A HUGE pile of big boxes. In the line I went.

Academy had a bunch of ammo in range packs but it was almost all steel case. I grabbed 3 more 200 round boxes of Monarch Steel, 9mm at $50/200. The entire line got ammo with some left over. They even had steel 380 and 40S&W. I only run the steel through my Taurus G2, it was a cheap gun. One of the boxes is going to my hunting buddy.

The amount of ammo there leads me to believe that maybe the supply of at least some ammo is catching up.

·
Registered
Mk II, Wrangler, LCPII .22 LR, EC9S, Security 9, P-85, RAR .17 HMR + .22 LR, + 10/22 Sporter
1,477 Posts
I placed a big order on Optics Planet yesterday. None of it's in stock, but it puts me in line + guarantees the prices. Today, thought I scored big at Fin Feather, but when I got to checkout, they only allowed me 2 boxes of .223. Mosied on over to Brownell's and scored 5 more boxes of .223. Gotta check everyday!

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
I placed a big order on Optics Planet yesterday. None of it's in stock, but it puts me in line + guarantees the prices. Today, thought I scored big at Fin Feather, but when I got to checkout, they only allowed me 2 boxes of .223. Mosied on over to Brownell's and scored 5 more boxes of .223. Gotta check everyday!
If you do not mind, show the prices please. It helps us all......

THX

·
Banned
348 Posts
What's up guys. I actually scored primers for list price today from the LGS. I also scored 7.62 x 39 for $11 a box...brand unknown but they look like old Combloc issued ammo.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
What's up guys. I actually scored primers for list price today from the LGS. I also scored 7.62 x 39 for $11 a box...brand unknown but they look like old Combloc issued ammo.

That's list price for primers now? I will admit that it has been decades since I bought them by the 100 box but we were only paying $34/1000 in 2019. I guess the problem with buying ahead is that changes can add up while you aren't looking.
I understand that in the current shortage that isn't a 'bad' price, just referring to 'list price' having changed a lot while I wasn't paying attention. Being old doesn't help since I can recall them under $1/100 when I was in college.

Bruce

·
Banned
348 Posts
That's list price for primers now? I will admit that it has been decades since I bought them by the 100 box but we were only paying $34/1000 in 2019. I guess the problem with buying ahead is that changes can add up while you aren't looking.
I understand that in the current shortage that isn't a 'bad' price, just referring to 'list price' having changed a lot while I wasn't paying attention. Being old doesn't help since I can recall them under $1/100 when I was in college.

Bruce
Check gunbroker they are going 100 for $35 and that's the low price

·
Banned
348 Posts
I think im caught up with primers for the near future.

I ended up with
1100 large pistol
300 large rifle
200 large magnum rifle

That will get me a good bit ammo until I can learn how to make my own.

Now time to focus on bullets.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts

Last actual surplus 7.62x39 mm I have seen in stores was the Yugo M67 (packed as 4 10-round stripper clips). That ammo is known to be corrosive primers.The Russian ammo sold many years ago in unlabelled tan waxed cardstock boxes was probably corrosive, but shot really well.

·
Banned
348 Posts
Last actual surplus 7.62x39 mm I have seen in stores was the Yugo M67 (packed as 4 10-round stripper clips). That ammo is known to be corrosive primers.The Russian ammo sold many years ago in unlabelled tan waxed cardstock boxes was probably corrosive, but shot really well.
This stuff is labeled corrosive: factory remanufactred

·
Banned
348 Posts
Got bullets ordered through Bass pro. I can't believe they actually let me order online since they stopped a lot of online sales for these types of purchases.

(2) 100 ct Hornady 150 gr. 30 cal for $30 ea

·
Registered
248 Posts
In the future I intend to give more support to Academy, Cabelas/Bass Pro, and Rural King.
You can’t beat Rural King. I have one 15 minutes from me. I’m in there 3-4 times a week. Maybe buy 2-3 guns a month from them. Lots of good folks working there, keeps me coming back. Their ammo stock around here is virtually non-existent, unless you are looking for 25-06 or 7mm-08. They took a price hit again get really recently so don’t be surprised if it’s a bit pricier than they have been. I did score some 7.62x39 Tula for $15/40rds, 5 box limit last week. It disappeared while I was standing there. Not the best ammo but my KS-47 doesn’t mind it.

Your best bet with them is to talk to them, find out what time their trucks come in and when they usually get their stock back to the gun counter. Time your visits accordingly. Ours is around 11am but every store is different. By noon, whatever they get is gone.

·
Banned
348 Posts
I looked up this place called Gunprime. (Got it off a YouTube channel I subscribe to). Looks like they have a decent amount of ammo in stock. They're prices are high but they have stuff in stock.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Rural King Effingham, IL today, paid $9.99/40 Tula 7.62x39 FMJ and $10.49/40 HPs. The price came back down $5/box today so I grabbed 4 more. That’ll load my drum twice.

Wolf 7.62x39 was $7.49/20 by comparison. The only other ammo there was Tula 7.62x54. Didn’t get a price. No brass ammo at all.

121 - 140 of 181 Posts