Ruger Forum banner

141 - 160 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
I mixed it up with a pack of ammo scavengers (like myself) at the local Scheel's store a few days ago...2 box limit on any caliber, but the prices were at pre-panic level. Made 2 trips into the store. Got out with some 9mm, 7.62x39, 10mm, and 5.56. None of it was in large quantities except a couple of 150 rd. boxes of Winchester steel case range ammo @ 33 cents a round. Not bad. Sold 1 of the boxes to a coworker at price paid for letting me know that they had ammo. He didn't see the 150 rd. boxes or would have bought a couple himself.

Got bullets ordered through Bass pro. I can't believe they actually let me order online since they stopped a lot of online sales for these types of purchases.
One particular website has factory Ruger Mini 30 mags in stock (or so the web page says they do) for $35 each...cheap these days, but they can only be purchased at their stores.

link provided for anyone in or near the state of Washington

·
Registered
433 Posts
I've got what I hope is an ample supply. Took a queue from the Sandy Hook aftermath. It took years to recover from that. Will there even be a recovery this time? I wonder.

Reactions: JohnnyDollar

·
Registered
418 Posts
I've got what I hope is an ample supply. Took a queue from the Sandy Hook aftermath. It took years to recover from that. Will there even be a recovery this time? I wonder.
It's hard to say. I remain hopeful, but you never know.
Prior shortages were generally the result of a single event. (an election or mass shooting).

This time, we have multiple events going on:
Ammunition sales started to increase in the Fall of 2019 when Walmart stopped selling a lot of common calibers.
Then Covid hit, people bought more ammo and guns.
Then the riots came along and more ammo and guns were bought.
Now the 2020 election and promises of new gun control legislation is adding to the buying.....

Reactions: Foundation Horse

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·
I am seeing a lot of steel case ammo also. Even the thieves at Dirty not Cheap, are dropping the prices on steel case ammo. However, if Biden follows through on his executive order to ban foreign ammo sales, we will be right back to where we started or worse.

I have not been out looking for ammo in a while, because our weather here in Kentucky has turned to crap with the latest ice storm that got us. I did go out and play with my ATV in the ice. Pulled the neighbor's kids up and down the road on their sleds until they were too cold to continue.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
Update......I almost bought a CZ 75 today. Spoiler alert, I chickened out, they were over $1000.

My BFF called today and they had his silencer in stock and his NFA application was back. So, we went to Kygunco. I am always up to go there. They were very busy. Once in the store, with my Covid mask on like a good boy, I marched straight to the ammo pallets. No joy. Kygunco was asking $37/50 for 9mm FMJ range ammo.....not this sucker...nope. 5.56 AR ammo was $150 for 150 rounds, Basspro had it for $75....nope. I did find a very cool AR multi-tool (Avid Core tool) for the same price as Midway had it on the internet. After I got to see it in person, I liked it a lot, so for $40 I picked it up.

I was standing in one line and my BFF was in the other line, to get his suppressor and some other swag he picked up. Anyway, 2 nice ladies were in line behind me. I struck up a conversation with them and they both had several boxes of various 9mm ammo. Of course, it is still 1 box/brand per customer. I told them where I had been finding it much cheaper. They said they both worked and they were getting it for themselves. I told them that if they had cash, and wanted another box, to go get one and I would buy it for them. I did, they were very happy. We went out front of the store and I handed over the ammo. My buddy was impressed, and laughed at me the whole way home.

If my wife ever kicks me out, and she might, I am hanging out at the gun store.....

·
Registered
446 Posts
Update......I almost bought a CZ 75 today. Spoiler alert, I chickened out, they were over $1000.

My BFF called today and they had his silencer in stock and his NFA application was back. So, we went to Kygunco. I am always up to go there. They were very busy. Once in the store, with my Covid mask on like a good boy, I marched straight to the ammo pallets. No joy. Kygunco was asking $37/50 for 9mm FMJ range ammo.....not this sucker...nope. 5.56 AR ammo was $150 for 150 rounds, Basspro had it for $75....nope. I did find a very cool AR multi-tool (Avid Core tool) for the same price as Midway had it on the internet. After I got to see it in person, I liked it a lot, so for $40 I picked it up.

I was standing in one line and my BFF was in the other line, to get his suppressor and some other swag he picked up. Anyway, 2 nice ladies were in line behind me. I struck up a conversation with them and they both had several boxes of various 9mm ammo. Of course, it is still 1 box/brand per customer. I told them where I had been finding it much cheaper. They said they both worked and they were getting it for themselves. I told them that if they had cash, and wanted another box, to go get one and I would buy it for them. I did, they were very happy. We went out front of the store and I handed over the ammo. My buddy was impressed, and laughed at me the whole way home.

If my wife ever kicks me out, and she might, I am hanging out at the gun store.....
In today's environment, $.74/round for 9mm is a bargain. The last cases I bought were about $.60 per round, and I didn't think they could go up much from there. Shocker: most places are charging up to and beyond $1.00/round for 115gr FMJ, now. It's atrocious.

I'm like you on the ammo. Finding it and getting it is a special kind of fun, itself. It's how I ended up piling up enough to annoy the wife. She'll be thanking me later in the year, though--especially as to the cases of .380 I got for her.

·
Banned
348 Posts
@Corndog

That's awesome. I've been wanting a CZ 75 too but I don't want another caliber. I have too many already its hard to keep up.

How long was your friends wait on the suppressor form?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
I live in a small out of the way city and dont have the big box sporting goods stores. Our Walmart has no guns and very little ammo at the counter. I go look if I am there but dont expect to find anything. I did find some 22 mag at a decent price a few months ago. They had a bunch of 350 Legend but even that is gone. I had considered buying some and getting an upper but passed. The Big Five store gets their ammo every Thursday morning and there is a line. I have found the best ammo prices at pawn shops ($25/50 9mm) but have not been buying since I have a decent stock on hand. If I find a bargain I will probably grab it. I picked up 700 rounds of 38spl plus 100 rounds of 357 for $160 from a private sale. Old school stuff but factory and clean. I am watching the ads in the local white sheet and our ranges news letter. A neighbor picked up some ammo at a garage sale.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 ·
@JTJ.....good score on the 38/357......$10/box.......gotta love it. I have only found a few boxes of 38/357 since last spring.

@JACtheVaquero ........I asked my buddy and he was confused on when he applied. Best he could recall it was 6 to 7 months ago.

I took wifey to breakfast for Valentines day and we hit Walmart while we were in town. Six lonely boxes of 350 Legend.......sigh.

·
Banned
348 Posts
From Roger's right now:

$114

$400

$36.99

·
Banned
348 Posts
@Corndog ........I asked my buddy and he was confused on when he applied. Best he could recall it was 6 to 7 months

At least its better than 8 months last I checked. I want to get a suppressor for my 10/22 for small game hunting

·
Registered
417 Posts
My LGS still has most calibers, no .38 Special or .357 Magnum for couple months. Sometimes other pistol calibers are only self defense version. All the going rate. 9 mm and .223 or 5.56 usually FMJ. Heard the owner ask a distributor yesterday for .38's and .357's, will see!

So had to go to lousy Wally World today for a TV accessory. Is one that cleaned out guns a few years ago. Maybe 10 boxes of 28 Ga.

Fleet Farm still looks like the Grinch came through. Easy to dust the shelves.

Stopped at Dunham's today for some cleaning supplies, nothing still but off-demand rifle rounds. I asked if they get anything anymore and where they will put it. They used to have a glass cabinet for pistol rounds. Right or wrong, lady said no delivery in past couple of weeks. Thought distributors were temporarily aiming to the little guys??

·
Banned
348 Posts
Today's haul.

1# of H4895 powder $40 w tax
6 boxes of 7.62x 39 combloc ammo $11.91 ea
1 sleeve of pistol primers $5
And 50 ct of .45 acp small town manufacturered $35

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #155 · (Edited)
Update,

This weekend I found Brass case 7.62x39 for my Mini 30. It is new manufacture by Belom (PPU military contract ammo). Found it a Target Sports for $14/20 and free shipping if you buy 24 boxes. The price was a little high for brass ammo, but close enough these days, so went for the half case and free shipping.

I took my wife to the clinic to get her first Covid shot. It just happened to be next to Cabelas. While I waited, I went in and they had Pyrodex 50/50 pellet ammo finally in stock. Bought 2 boxes of 100 pellets for $33/box. No ammo on the shelves.

Stopped by Academy Sports on the way home. They had Aguilla 22LR at $4/50. I went ahead and bought the last 2 of those. They had a pile of Winchester white box .308 rounds, forgot to get the price though since I don't own a .308.

·
Banned
348 Posts
Update,

This weekend I found Brass case 7.62x39 for my Mini 30. It is new manufacture by Belom (PPU military contract ammo). Found it a Target Sports for $14/20 and free shipping if you buy 24 boxes. The price was a little high for brass ammo, but close enough these days, so went for the half case and free shipping.

I took my wife to the clinic to get her first Covid shot. It just happened to be next to Cabelas. While I waited, I went in and they had Pyrodex 50/50 pellet ammo finally in stock. Bought 2 boxes of 100 pellets for $33/box. No ammo on the shelves.

Stopped by Academy Sports on the way home. They had Aguilla 22LR at $4/50. I went ahead and bought the last 2 of those. They had a pile of Winchester white box .308 rounds, forgot to get the price though since I don't own a .308.
Brass has been really high everywhere I have seen it.

But man Academy seems the spot to find ammo. I'm lucky I have my LGS and they have been coming through lately no Academy around me. Sportsmans even stopped getting powder in.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #157 ·
Update,

Made a Basspro stop today on the way to my project meeting. They had 357mag, 40 S&W, several brands of 9mm, 5.56, and .308. All good quality brass ammo. BUT......Basspro now has a 5 box maximum (or 250 rounds, whichever you hit first) no matter how you spread it out across calibers. If they have a range pack you can get it and extra 50 round boxes till you reach 250 rounds. Seems fair to me and after the morning line was through they had extra left on the shelves. I did witness 2 resellers today, both were on the phone coordinating with their buddies. Is what it is I guess.....I kept my opinion to myself to avoid the conflict.

Basspro was charging $15/50 for brass fmj 9mm and had it in Herters, CCI, and Federal red boxes.

When I got home my Belom 7.62X39 brass fmj was sitting on my porch. It is new manufacture and packaged in nice plastic 20 round boxes.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Stopped by my LGS today and they are starting to have more ammo in stock....
Saw this, and for self defense ammo, it's not a horrible price.
and no limits.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Today in Colorado; I added some stock to my supply of .22s; had to return a foregrip that was too long and saw the shorts (@.09¢ per round)at Sportsmans Warehouse. The .22 WMR (@.18¢ per round) was tucked back on an upper shelf at a nearby Walmart.

These were more impulse purchases as I wasn't actively looking for them; maybe that's the trick, I won't look but if it pops up then...

141 - 160 of 181 Posts