Ruger Forum banner

161 - 180 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 ·
Updates (2)

Last week Basspro did not have ammo. Today they did. Lots of variety. They finally had Federal 38 specials. Also 9mm, 45 acp, 30-06 hunting ammo, 5.56, 380, bulk packs of 22LR. I was so happy to finally find 38 Special for my GP 100, that I bought my 5 boxes allotted of 38's. They were $22/50.

They did not have a lot of anything but had a variety this trip.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #162 ·
Sort of update -

Wife came home from running errands and she had stopped by Goodwill to drop off some old clothes. She hands me a set of binoculars and says "I hope I did not waste our money". They were putting a set of Nikon binoculars out in the front case, that had just came in. They look like brand new and the cheapest I could find them was on Amazon for $300. She paid $30. Very nice glass, waterproof too.

I asked her if Goodwill has ammo....

·
Registered
534 Posts
I've lived through a couple ammo shortages, but I'll tell you what's different this time: I bought a .22 rifle at a large firearms retailer, and they could not even sell me 1 box of 50 rnds with it. In the past, they always held back boxes for gun purchases, which is only fair - if someone buys a gun, they deserve a box of ammo. Not anymore.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #164 ·
I found something I forgot I had bought. I started accumulating, buying, prepping, hoarding.....whatever you choose to call it, ammunition in my 20's, after I bought my first handgun. During the Clinton years they had tried to ban hollow-points and I was on a campaign buying all I could find. Anyway, in my ammo-can full of "vintage" hollow-point ammo, I found 3 full 50 round boxes of Hornady 9mm Vector tracer ammunition. Hornady made this stuff for training purposes, it is non-corrosive and will not start a fire. I remember buying it on a going out of business sale at a sports retail chain.

I had never seen it before or sense. It was so cheap I had bought it to burn up at the range and never got around to using it.

Anybody remember seeing this stuff.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Rural King "soft" opened a new store in Chilicothe Ohio this morning. About 400 people lined up before the doors opened. I could tell by conversations 399 was there for ammo. The store had a good variety of calibers and a good supply. Fed 9mm $14.99 50 rds. Aquila, Winchester the same. Aguila 223 $24.99 50 rds. Armscor 22 $2.99 50 rds. I believe anyone there looking for ammo, left with their 2 boxes and a smile. That is the most ammo I have seen in a year. I must give RK a thumbs up because they could have added $10 or more to the center fire and sold just as much.

·
Registered
534 Posts
About 400 people lined up before the doors opened. I could tell by conversations 399 was there for ammo ... I believe anyone there looking for ammo, left with their 2 boxes and a smile. That is the most ammo I have seen in a year.
Was #400 accepting bribes for his 2 box allotment ??

·
Registered
65 Posts
Probably. LOL. The one thing my wife noticed was how polite and courteous everyone was. Always that way when gun owners gather. Of course everyone knew that most everyone else was packing. If that had been at Walmart on black Friday there would have been blood.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
I found something I forgot I had bought. I started accumulating, buying, prepping, hoarding.....whatever you choose to call it, ammunition in my 20's, after I bought my first handgun. During the Clinton years they had tried to ban hollow-points and I was on a campaign buying all I could find. Anyway, in my ammo-can full of "vintage" hollow-point ammo, I found 3 full 50 round boxes of Hornady 9mm Vector tracer ammunition. Hornady made this stuff for training purposes, it is non-corrosive and will not start a fire. I remember buying it on a going out of business sale at a sports retail chain.

I had never seen it before or sense. It was so cheap I had bought it to burn up at the range and never got around to using it.

Anybody remember seeing this stuff.
Yup. Been years back.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #169 ·
Update......sigh

After last week, I had hoped maybe we were turning a corner with this.

Basspro had empty shelves yesterday and so did Rural King and Walmart........crap.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Just went to Fin, Feather, & Fur today & they had lots of .22 lr. Unfortunately, it was all $8.99 / 50 rnd box (CCI Blazers, Federal), AND limit 1 box. That means the 500 rnd Federal bulk packs I bought pre-COVID for like $25 would be $90 today. I hate to use the "G" word, but if this isn't gouging, I don't know what is. No wonder they had plenty on the shelves. .17 Hornady was even worse.

I'll shoot my air rifles before I pay that much for .22 lr.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #171 · (Edited)
Update,

Well it had been 3 trips and 3 dry runs at Basspro. No ammo. Was getting discouraged.

Then yesterday, score!

I was late since I had fish to clean from lake trip the day before. I walked in at 9:05 and went upstairs to the ammo dump. I was 14th in line, line means ammo, so not bad for being late. They had 100 round boxes of 9mm ($30), 50 round boxes of 45 acp ($26), and 150 round range packs of Winchester M-193, 55 grain, brass fmj. As well as other stuff I had no interest in.

My thinking is the 5.56 ammo situation may get interesting, depending on what the POTUS does today. They were the biggest boxes too and they let me buy 2 of them. $90/150 rounds ($180 total for 300 rounds).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Was walking through Walmart today to pick up something else and swung by the sporting goods area; spied an opened box of CCI.

The Gal working the counter offered to help me count it out to ensure it was a full box... ended up with 126 rounds in it for about 18¢ per round :cool:

My evil plan of browsing without any expectations worked again :devilish:

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #174 ·
Update,

The dry runs to Basspro continue. However, last night a member of my ammo posse' called and said the Walmart by his house had a few boxes each of 22LR, 12ga, and 30-06. He had bought his 3 box max and was letting me know. I was tired and it was late, so I got there when they opened this morning. Picked up the two boxes of Winchester Super X 30-06, 165 grains, for $17/20. They also had a single box of Federal Auto-Match 22LR left for $17/325. Scored my 3 box limit.

I needed Diesel oil for my tractor and wanted Rotella synthetic. The first Walmart did not have my preferred oil, so I made a second stop to the Walmart closer to my house. They had the oil, no ammo though.

All in all, a successful trip.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #175 ·
Update, well it had been 2 months, I have been busy doing tedious things. I had a project meeting by Basspro so I stopped in on a whim. Got there 5 minutes before opening and only 4 people waiting at the door.

Walked upstairs and to my delight ammo on the shelf. Several varieties. I bought some Winchester green tip 5.56 for $14/20, a bulk box of 45 ACP for $60/100, and a box of 1600fps, Winchester foster slugs for $15/15. All in all not a bad trip.

I did not see any 9mm. The ammo lady said they have not seen a box of 30-06 in a month. The ammo lady was kinda cute so we chatted a bit and she said ammo is still just trickling in a couple times a week.

I hear Rural King has some ammo and wifey needs some mulch and bags of topsoil. They keep the mulch in the ammo department....that's my story and I am sticking to it!

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
I am seeing online prices on 9mm dropping. 43 cents was the last offer but I am not buying. I found 12 & 20 gauge buckshot locally for $1 per round.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #177 ·
Update,

I found 9mm, 38sp, and 45acp at Rural King Monday.

Today, I stopped in Basspro and they had a fair amount of ammo too. I found 2 things that surprised me, 35Rem for my Marlin (Hornady) and hollow point hunting rounds for 45 Long Colt. 30-06 is still hit or miss. I am crossing my fingers that we have plateaued and hope to see prices come down.

I have been selling my steel case 9mm I panic purchased (at my cost, $15/50) and replacing it with brass ($17/50) now that it easier to find. I bought 1000 rounds of steel 9mm and have replaced 600 rounds of it so far.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I just got an email from a friend who recently began working at BassPro. Not a lot of details (he's old enough to actually work at work) but stated that there was ammo and primers out on the floor as well as another truck having just arrived with more.
Maybe things are starting to get caught up?

Bruce

·
Registered
83 Posts
I know I am late to this thread, but not to ammo shopping.....................Academies in Texas are starting to have ammo on the shelves. The Walmarts, not so much. And Cabela's are such a PITA to get to for me (distance wise) that I seldom even shop them. What I noticed last weekend was .556 Range Packs of M855 Green Tipped.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #180 ·
Well at least it appears I do not need to stand in line anymore......just cruise my big box retailers.

The LGSs around me still have their head in their rear ends and 9mm is $25 to $30 for 50.

161 - 180 of 181 Posts