Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a used Beretta from the local Gander. It was in generally good shape, but it has some odd markings. Figured I would ask here to see if anyone has seen something like this before.

Electropenciled on the underside of the slide, underside of the frame, barrel, inside of magwell and on the magazine are this set of letters & numbers. All of the numbers match, but they are not part of the serial number. They are not importer marks (this was imported by Beretta USA).

0344c.jpg

0345c.jpg

any ideas?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Maybe Advanced Force Operations. Google it.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Criminal case evidence number from long ago when guns weren't destroyed???

But I like the AFO theory better.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Looks like a PD inventory id.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I would have to agree with MG34Dan, be Police or Military ID.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Could be from a British police department as they called police who carried firearms authorised firearms officer.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm going to agree with mndoggie, MG34Dan and 67Number1 that it is most likely a Police identification number. It would be interesting to know the "rest of the story".

Unlikely to have spent time in the UK, since it has a Beretta USA rollmark and no other importer marks.

They had two of these in Gander. I picked the one with the better finish and never looked closely at the other one. I'll take a look at it next time I go there (if it is still in the case). They had a lot of what appeared to be LE trade ins (S&W autos, KP91DAO and P89 pistols). May a PD somewhere decided to cash in on the current high prices.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Evidence Room Numbers .... it's got a past ?
Gary

1 - 10 of 10 Posts