Ruger Forum banner

The safety harness

724 views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  Bob Lewis 
#1 · (Edited)
So here we are late October, some of us have already been up in our tree stands and other are looking forward to it. I want to bring to your attention to three things associated with using a harness whether you currently own one or are considered purchasing one.

First make sure you have a proper fit in the groin area, not to tight and definitely not to loose. The correct way adjust for the groin is to place your index and middle fingers between the groin strap and your clothing and snug it up. What’s the downside if it’s to loose?........Possibly loosing your two little friends down below. I’ve seen pictures where a man’s scrotum was literally ripped off. It’s not pretty boys.

Second is if you actually fall and your harness deploys, (most have 6’ coiled up in the deceleration pack) your safe “hang time” is less than ten minutes. How can this be you’re probably thinking.....well it’s true. Most of your weight will be concentrated in the groin area when you fall restricting blood flow which can cause a clot. What happens when that pressure is released, (you’re back on the ground), the clot generally takes a road trip directly to your heart and it kills ya. The fix is either to add or buy a harness with a stirrup built into it. A stirrup in generally attached to waist band part of the harness and is maybe 3’ long with a loop at the end of it. Mine is in a little pouch and if needed I can pop it out, place my foot in it and straighten my leg, (basically stand up). This takes all the pressure off the harness in the groin area, allowing you to “hang” there safely until help arrives.

The third thing is to have plan for all the “what if’s” prior to going up that tree.

If you already know this great, if you don’t I hope it helps. I’ve spent a lot time working in power plants and refineries and these are three points they drilled into your head during their safety orientation. I was also responsible for writing up a “JSA” (Job Safety Analysts) every morning for each task to cover the “what if’s”.

Everybody hunt safe and best of luck this year.

See less See more
#5 ·
Thanks Mark204, as a cautionary tale, my best friend fell out of a tree when we were bow hunting probably 15 years ago. He landed on his butt sitting down and compression fractured three vertebrae

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 ·
I always put a safety loop round my neck that way when I fell I would not feel any pain!
Seriously though, I'd never thought of the circulation issue before. I used a rope "swiss seat" a few times for cliff and steep bank rescues saved the harness for the victim unless a stokes basket was needed. That was a long time ago though.
Thank you for that information Mark.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.