Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imagine a huge prairie dog town of about 100 acres having mounds and holes no more than 50 feet apart. At any one time 100's of the small rodents can be seen. 1000's of rodents live in the town and numerous holes exist several feet deep. Signs of rodent filth are everywhere.

Plague, Yersinia pestis, commonly exists at low levels in large rodent populations and the rodent areas may be thought of as plague reservoirs - "enzootic cycle". The rodents are not immune to plague and occasionally the towns are gone. Fleas and body fluids carry the bacteria. Apparently, Yersinia pestis have stickers or barbs on their outer surfaces that interrupt the normal digestive properties of flea gut, making the fleas more blood thirsty. I guess the fleas could be regarded as tiny "varmints" always ready to abandon a cold dead host for a new warm host, like some fool stacking up dead rodents for trophy photos. I won't touch the rodents and if required to clean up carcasses near roads & trails, I will do so with a shovel that I sanitize with chlorine bleach after the task - land owner Megyn demands this.

I don't want to catch plague so I do the stuff shown in the attached links.

Catching plague could be expensive and it could kill you. Various expensive anti-biotic drugs are used, some being experimental and possibly not covered by medical insurance.

Transmission | Plague | CDC

Varmint Hunting and Catching the Plague

I think the white Tyvek suit stunt is sort of inane - it might be cute but is not complete enough to offer effective protection should a shooter be required to have intimate contact with the rodents..

I take precautions not to catch this loathsome disease having horrible consequences - hopefully, others might do the same.

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
Good info to know. I ALWAYS use a shovel or gloves to handle varmints too.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I have seen the fleas on rabbits as well. Don't hunt them until it has been cold outside for a good while.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts