Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In April, it will be three years since my Dad has passed away. He left me quite a bit of his stuff. I got a lot of little odds and ends, half of his gun collection, all of his race car/hot rod parts and four vehicles. (1) 1970 Chevelle SS clone (2) 1968 Chevelle drag car (3) 2002 NHRA special edition Pontiac Trans Am (4) 1991 Camaro drag car (unfinished)

I find myself wanting to sell off a couple of these cars just to thin the herd. I already have the Trans Am up for sale, but find myself wanting to sell the 70 Chevelle as well. Me, my Dad and my brother really like Chevelles. My Dad bought a 70 SS396 with Cowl Induction brand new in 1970. I like the current 1970 that I inherited, but find myself thinking of selling it. The problem is, it was inherited from my Dad. Lol. I feel that if I even mention selling it to anyone in my family, the fur is fixing to fly. He only had the car seven months prior to his passing, but with our love for Chevelles...... I've just got a bad feeling I might be looked down upon for wanting to get rid of it.

I've only talked to one other person about this. I know it was his car, but I don't think of him when I see it. When I think of him, I think of the 68 drag car. He spent a lot of time with that car and raced it on several occasions. When I think of him, I think of his 742 Remington and his 1100 Remington. I think of his love for his family, his country and all branches of the military. He was a Vietnam veteran and served in the United States Navy as a jet mechanic aboard the USS Constellation (VF96 squadron) and the USS Kitty Hawk. I also think of his love for the Arkansas Razorbacks.

I also have mixed emotions about selling it, just because it was his. I don't know why.....I should feel the same about the Trans Am, but I don't. Maybe because he bought it to keep and never drove it. (It only has a little over 8,000 miles on it)

What are your thoughts about my situation? How do you feel about selling something that was handed down to you after a loved ones passing?

There are some things that I would never get rid of, but I'm not sure this car is one of them.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I have the same quandary with my Grandpa's duck stuff.
He was an avid duck hunter and had tons of duck cups, pictures, knick-knacks that I ended up with.
Sentimental, worthless, family heirlooms.
At least yours has monetary value should you decide to sell.
Mine would just be tossed in the trash.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I really feel like its the stuff that matters to you thats worth keeping. If your family can't get over that, then whatever. It was left to you, if they want it, they can buy it. I currently drive the truck that my dad had before he passed, just to get around (mine was totaled, and mom still had Dads) I don't think of him every time I hop up into it, I think of him when I see his old Navy piss cutter that I have. So I can understand.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I'm with 2ndGen on this one.
Offer to sell it within the family at a more than fair price first. If there's no takers then put it up for general sale.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
That's a sore point in our family.
We have a younger brother who is trying to screw everyone else over.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
First, I'd ask anyone in the family if they want to buy it first, if not, ask if it would bother them if you sold it. Then sell it. Maybe offer to split the proceeds.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Before my Dad passed he gave me most of his guns. He only had a very few. His favorites were an old Model 12 Winchester and his Ruger M77 Mannlicher 308. His instructions were they were to stay in the family. Well it is looking as though no grandkids are in the works nor will there be. So I am left with no one to leave them to when it is my turn to go. So I came to this idea that I will leave them to the NRA-ILA to be auctioned or sold with the proceeds going there in my Dads name.

I understand the problem. I have siblings but they would just sell them for peanuts and waste the money on garbage so they are not seeing them.

·
Registered
846 Posts
He left it to you, if it wasn't the one he bought new and doesn't have any special meaning to you...then sell it. I have run into the same thing as you have experienced. When the patriarch of the family dies and there's money involved, it brings out the worst in some families. It sure did in mine, I have 2 sisters that I refuse to talk to anymore.
IMO, I wouldn't keep it just because others in the family want you to. Offer it to them first and if there are no takers, run the ad and sell it. Good luck on whatever you decide!

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone. I'll give it some more thought. If I decide to do it, I feel it will be easier once everyone knows.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Stuff is just stuff I don't place emotional value on it. I have my Dad's guns but I took possession of them long before he died because I used them, he didn't place emotional value on stuff either.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Cars, guns, whatever..........its just "stuff". And I DO understand that it was your dads and he loved it, BUT do YOU love it, or just the fact that it was his? No need to have 4 cars sitting around, just because they were his, that you can't use or have no intention of doing anything with.

The Chevelle is NOT the one he bought new and he probably bought it because it was similar to the one he bought new. So while it may have meant something, it was not THE car.

You keep one car maybe and a couple of guns. These will remind you just as much of your dad as a yard and house full of stuff you have no use for.

I can relate, because I am currently going through the very same thing. I got ALL my parents stuff, because I am an only child. I have come to the realization, that because THEY loved something, doesn't mean I am required to feel the same way.........Look at it this way........would your dad more likely want you to have stuff sitting around and not using it, or sell some of it off and enjoy the money you got from it.

In my dads gun collection was 14 Ruger No1s. He bought them all new and loved those rifles. I have yet to fire one of them and probably won't, because No1s are just not my bag. I will keep one or two and anything else in his collection I really like............the rest will be sold and I will have no issues with it. Let somebody ELSE get the enjoyment from them that he did and I will use the cash to buy something I enjoy

·
Banned
365 Posts
First thing I would do is to get the vehicles you want to sell appraised, then offer to sell them to those family members that want them, otherwise sell them to the public.

I've gone through the same thing when my father passed years ago. My brother grabbed the guns, reloading stuff, and tools before anyone else had a chance to say anything. It still pisses me off that he did that, but our Mom had no idea what was there, nor that others might want to make an offer on the guns, etc. Now that same brother and my youngest sister are waiting for our mother to pass and try to get more for their children, instead of splitting it equally between the kids. As my other sister is the executor of our mother's estate, when that time comes she will lay the law down and tell them that is how it is, take it or leave it (and so will I). It just may become the final straw between many of us in the family.

You are in an unenviable position. Whatever you do will probably piss off someone in the family, but do what you think is right, and don't look back. Believe me, the greed of some family members is incredible when the word inheritance is brought up.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I'm a Ford guy,but I would consider that 1970 Chevelle to be a very desirable car to keep! If the body is in good shape you should get a pretty penny for it.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
for me it is those things that remind me of pop. I did give his tackle box to my grandson who loves to fish. dad would be happy about that.
I also offered to my two brothers anything they wanted. that I have come to regret. they didn't really share my high opinion of our father.
the number one thing I got from dad was a lifetime of doing things together. we fished together for almost fifty years. we went to countless ball games, in many different sports. as a young man I got to see the mid fifties Yankees play a lot of baseball and countless trips into Notre Dame stadium for football.
no matter the disposition of dads personal effects, I carry that gentleman with me.
anything material can be taken from you, but those good times will always dwell in the shadows of your heart

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
It's yours...........................do what you want with it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
After going through this with each parent, then the oldest sibling, then the next oldest sibling I feel your pain. It is amazing how fast a person's life of accumulated stuff turns into a large bill owed to the trash collector. How it can divide families is nothing short of sad.

If it has any potential as desired in the family, offer it to them at a great price. Otherwise, sell it. Family will always be more important.

But I always try to remember that no matter how much my father, or any other past relative, loved some thing on earth, he doesn't desire it anymore. Most importantly, he would want me to have what I desired or might make me happy. And that I would someday also realize it is all ultimately just stuff.

The greatest gift I could give to my children when I go, is that my stuff is all taken care of/gone.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here is the car we are talking about...... Just as a visual aide

·
Banned
2,566 Posts
If that is the car your talking about selling, it would be a keeper for me. That is something many would kill for. I could not bring myself to sell a car like that. But that is just me because I have a love for those cars.

Now for the rest of the cars, if they mean something to you, keep them, if not they are yours to do with as you please, you do not need permission from your family to sell what is rightfully yours.

My self, with the family I have if I were to sell them I would not even offer them to any one in my family. They would want me to give it to them and then bad mouth me because they had to pay for it so I would just outright sell to the first person with the cash.

Family can be a pain in the butt when it comes to things like this, it brings out the greed in folks and can end relationships. So sometimes your danged if you do and danged if you don't so just do what is right for you in this situation. Keep what you really want and sell or give away the rest. Memories are yours forever.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Been thru this myself. Not fun.

To add to the grief, consider this . . .

Have you prepared a will for yourself? If so, have you made provision for where all this stuff is to go? If not, can you imagine the mess that will occur when you pass on . . . which could happen tomorrow?

Whatever you do, I'd get it done ASAP and move on.

JMHO

1 - 20 of 41 Posts