Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I count myself a handgunner dating from September, 1954, when I got my first .45 Revolver, an old Colt New Service. Since that time, I have shot every handgun I could get my hands on, just for the learning experience. Over time, the Single Action revolver has endeared itself to me, and the .44 Magnum cartridge my favorite round. Naturally, the Ruger Super Blackhawk has come to the forefront of my favorites.

I bought this Super Blackhawk in 1971, and for many years it was my first choice. Best shot I ever made was taking a ground hog at a measured 110 yards.

Years later I got this New Model Super Blackhawk, and it won me over like a stray puppy. Just seemed to know what I wanted to shoot, and it seemed to place the bullet there:

Still later I found this Super Blackhawk, looking forlorn, in a gunshop. Did a few things to it, and now this gun is finding its way into my heart:

New gun have come out, and new fire breathin' cartridges are on the market now. But somehow, the .44 Magnum has won me over, and I'm too far along in years to change my opinion.

Bob Wright

·
Banned
650 Posts
The SA pistol has a way of winning you over. I have a super blackhawk I really love. I have no need for a 44mag or a SA for that matter.

Shooting that pistol takes me back to a time when I was happy go lucky. Lady luck has really shined on me. On the road to today hundreds of men who were just as good as me or even better fell by the wayside. The Super Redhawk will never be for sale.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I have a Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Long Colt and I had a gunsmith install a heavy barrel 9.5 inches long. Apparently that was the size he had in his shop at the time. While he was at it, I had him hard chrome the entire gun.
It served me well for the 18 years I lived in Ohio. In Ohio, it you can not hunt deer with a rifle. The Ruger was my choice when deer hunting. If I had to do it over, I may have gone with a 44 mag. By reloading, I am able to duplicate the 44 mag ballistics in the 45 LC.
I'm left handed and finding a holster able to cover the 9.5 inch barrel looked to be a challenge. As luck would have it, I went to a gun show about two weeks after I got the Ruger back from the gunsmith. While looking at various piles of gun leather I came across a black holster that was a perfect fit. The cost was $5. He asked if I wanted a gun belt. He pulled one out of a pile in matching black. I bought it for $10 and for another dollar he through I strap that I put around holster. The end result was a good looking rig for under $20. 30 years later it and my Ruger look great.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Those are really nice! Love the case color frames - Turnbull if I remember correctly? Your Super Blackhawks really are super.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Nice Supers you have there.

I have had many 44's over the years and it remains my favorite large bore caliber but have to admit the 45 Colts is running right with it.

I sure wish I had my three screw 44's back. I guess that is one of the perils of having the traders disease.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
I like them.
Loads of character.
I have a SBH BH.
It's fun to shoot.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Very nice SBHs you got there. The last one is the best looking to me. (not that the others don't look good.)

Thanks for the photos. :)

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
Congrats on 3 very nice-looking revolvers...those case hardened frames are absolutely beautiful!

SA's...my very first handgun was a 6.5" stainless Single-Six with both cylinders...still have it...still shoot it...still love it!

I am wanting a SBH in .45 Colt with a Bisley Grip...definitely on the list!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Who was more surprised . . . the groundhog or you? ;)

:D
Well, I had been doing some long range shooting at that time, so figured I had him dead to rights. The funny thing was I thought I had missed him as I saw the puff of dust from my bullet strike. But he lay there a kicked a couple of times then lay still. My bullet had gone clean through him.

My load at that time was the 245 gr. Keith SWC ahead of 25.0 grs. of DuPont (then) IMR-4227. This load had been clocked at an even 1400 fps out of my Super Blackhawk.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
85 Posts
Well, the groundhog may have been surprised but it was the last time it was ever surprised. :) Bob, what wood are the grips on the 1971 gun made from? Looks like desert ironwood, sweet looking whatever they are made from.

·
Registered
829 Posts
"Best shot I ever made was taking a ground hog at a measured 110 yards."
That is a heck of a shot, and most people would not believe it, to them it is impossible.
But you never know, unless you try--that is a way above average shot.

And, I love the guns, they are very sharp.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As to the grips, both Three Screw Models are stocked in walnut. The brass butted gun has walnut from CaryC, which I believe is circassian (?) walnut. The other Three Screw is walnut from Lett. The New Model is stocked in Bolivian rosewood.

Bob Wright

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
Very nice SBH lineup!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
"Best shot I ever made was taking a ground hog at a measured 110 yards."
That is a heck of a shot, and most people would not believe it, to them it is impossible.
But you never know, unless you try--that is a way above average shot.
As I said, I had been doing a lot of long range shooting, and had no trouble knocking over the steel ram at 200 meters. And in case of ground hogs, shot placement is not so critical as a hit to the body with a .44 Magnum is instantly fatal. Only very few folks are concerned with meat damage to ground hogs. They're out there, though.

Once had a man tell me that skinned out and laid side by side, one cannot tell a ground hog from a raccoon.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
8 Posts
Love my super Blackhawk 44mag- first gun I ever purchased 30 years ago... But those models with the squared trigger guard... They just bite into your hand. I had to put rounded pachmayer grips on . How can anyone keep those old squared factory grips on n still shoot a lot ?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts