Ruger Forum banner

The Swede Does It Again!

2K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  Pappy1949 
#1 ·
Canidae Grass Dog Fawn Dog breed

Hunting with a long-time friend near Bowie, Texas last week and managed to get this cull buck. He was butterball fat and should make fine table fare.
I was hoping for the heavy eight point that had been hanging around, but this one showed first and the freezer was empty. What can I say? The Swede dumped him in short order.
This was the 1st deer I've taken with 140 gr. bullets, think I like the 160 gr. RN better. Regardless, the 6.5x55 Swede will certainly get the job done.
I also dropped a good sized feral hog - 180-200 lb. range, but it was a boar, so he was donated to the Wildlife Sanitation department. Sorry, no photos of the hog.

WYT-P
Skyhunter

See less See more
#2 ·
Congratulations on your deer and hog. Your rifle is beautiful. The 6.5x55 Swede is a perfect match for a single shot. Did the deer run after the shot? What 140gr bullets were you using? I have used 130gr Cor Lokt in my .270 for years. They are accurate and always kill deer, but they usually run 25 to 40yds into the thick stuff before dropping. Last year a solidly hit hog made it to the swamp and I never found it. This year I zeroed with 150gr Non Typical RN ammo. The 8pt buck dropped like he was hit by lightning. My Vortex scope has aim points that correspond to 225, 325, and 425 yards with a 175yd zero. I am a fan of these round nose bullets!

#7 ·
ngashooter -
"What 140gr bullets were you using?" In this case it was a Remington 140 gr. CorLokt bullet. The buck ran about 80 yards into thick brush and expired in a thicket of finger sized saplings that I could barely walk thru - and dragging him out was "some kind of special" I assure you!
The hog on the other hand went straight down, squealed once, and that was that.
I've killed two other similar sized deer with that rifle/cartridge, but used the Hornady 160 gr. RN bullets. The results weren't quite bang & flop, but the deer didn't cover more that 20 yds. after being hit. Love that RN bullet in the Swede!

WYT-P
Skyhunter

#11 ·
To the OP congrats nice deer. The 6.5x55 a great caliber, I had great results with my .243 Winchester using 95 grain Hornady SST bullets & 42 grains of H 4831. One shot over 400 yards a nice 3x2 mule deer buck dropped dead in his tracks broke its back. I have to agree my buck was hard to get it back to camp. But some great camping neighbors next to our camp helped me get it out all quartered out. Again congrats to your nice buck great for the table!!!

#15 ·
All deer in the freezer are deer in the freezer, just wondering why you call him a cull buck? From the horn bases and body looks like any yearling buck from that area. Hunted the Jacksboro area west of there and many just north of there on the Oklahoma side. Just curious as there does not seem any deformity on the little guy other than yearling points. The guys over at Realtree have some multi year pictures of the same deer and their studies conclude that you cannot tell anything about antler growth potential by the first set of antlers on a young deer. Just FYI.

I shot what I thought was a cull this year and was told it was by 2 other hunters, he was huge and old and only had one horn, 5 on that side. It ran close to my spot and being unable to walk very far I was not about to let him go by. Big deer. Not deformed at all, other side just broke completely off. Got, 93 pounds of boned meat off of him, estimated at 180 pounds dressed. I had one 2 years ago that weighed exactly 180 dressed and got less meat, so glad I only got one as I still have a freezer full from last year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.