41 - 60 of 123 Posts

Registered
Dang it. :mad:

doughnut ?

"The Real Deal"
How bout cam over...

Registered
fire-cracking has me stumped
Fire-cracking can be really ugly when viewed through a scope......but it鈥檚 generally not as bad as it looks. You鈥檒l see it in the throat.....picture what 4000 degrees plus can do over time....

Registered
What cops like to eat. 馃ぃ 馃ぃ 馃ぃ
As do I.

Google it .......it has to do with necking down a cartridge......let鈥檚 say .30-06 down to .25-06 or .308 down to 7-08.

Reactions: Tacky

"The Real Deal"
As do I.

Google it .......it has to do with necking down a cartridge......let鈥檚 say .30-06 down to .25-06 or .308 down to 7-08.
Will do, i usually do the opposite .223 to 25-45, 308 to .338 etc. Never heard that term though.

Reactions: Mark204

Registered
Discussion Starter #49
I saw this some where on here and had to hunt it down

From the earliest years, William B. Ruger saw the need for quality investment castings. Bill Ruger demanded processes that would allow him the freedom to design and produce firearms his way, and he demanded that every investment casting customer receive the same treatment.

FMJ

Registered
I鈥檝e got a problem here....The Bass Man started this game.....it would appear that the so called 鈥渞ules鈥 have gone to the wayside. He needs to jump in and throw out severe punishment for violators.....that be me too.

"The Real Deal"
Never paid attention to the XGI.....did some blow up?
From what i have read it was a prototype mini 14 in 308 win. However never made it to commercial production due the pressure from the 308 round cracked the receiver, so never sold as mass produced. Their are a few collectors own. but they are rare.

Registered
Back to doughnuts .......doughnuts usually happen when necking down a cartridge, seldom does it happen when you neck one up. The doughnut will form at the neck/shoulder junction and is actually a doughnut formed from mashing the neck down. The doughnut becomes a problem when the base of the bullet is seated below the neck/shoulder junction. I get doughnuts when I neck down.308鈥檚 to 7-08.....but I seat them so far out, ( .075 over) it鈥檚 not an issue. The fix is inside neck turning.

FMJ......Full Metal Jacket

Chasing the lands....

Registered
Cam over........forgot about that. Who else is playing this game???

"The Real Deal"
Ok ok....
Cam over........forgot about that. Who else is playing this game???
Didnt mean to monopolize it, will be quiet for a few.

Reactions: Mark204

Registered
Ok ok....

Didnt mean to monopolize it, will be quiet for a few.
Heck I can answer it too but.......Maybe we should move this to one of our PM鈥檚 if no one else wants to play. :p

Registered
Sooooo, we鈥檝e got cam over and chasing the lands......Bueller......Bueller....

Registered
Discussion Starter #58
Cam over is referring to the point of adjustment of your reloading dies in between where the shell holder touches the die body and where the handle/ram isn't able to bottom out.

chasing the lands

Super Moderator
Chasing the lands - seating a bullet farther and farther out to compensate for throat erosion, typically when seating Bullets out past COAL standard in an attempt (so do, some don鈥檛) to minimize bullet jump (see throat).

Fire Forming

Registered
Fire forming - enlarging (by firing it) a slightly undersized cartridge case into a chamber. Thus forming the new size you want.

Investment casting - yes Ruger is famous for it. Ruger uses the lost wax mathod. The part is produced by creating a model in wax. The wax model is then surrounded by refractory sand. The wax is melted away leaving a mold, for metal to be cast into a part. Allows very dimensionally correct parts with minimal extra machining or finishing steps.

First focal plane reticle?

41 - 60 of 123 Posts