Ruger Forum banner

61 - 80 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
First focal plane reticle........A first focal plane reticle is placed IN FRONT of the magnifying lens. A second focal plane reticle is placed BEHIND the magnifying lens.

Annealing......what does it do and how? Pretty easy but I was having a brain fart......

Reactions: Tacky

·
"The Real Deal"
7,540 Posts
First focal plane reticle........A first focal plane reticle is placed IN FRONT of the magnifying lens. A second focal plane reticle is placed BEHIND the magnifying lens.

Annealing......what does it do and how? Pretty easy but I was having a brain fart......
Softens the brass from being hardened during firiing, a reloaders practice.

How bout bore rider?

Reactions: Mark204

·
Registered
783 Posts

I did not know the answer to my own question and was hoping for a more thorough answer. All my scopes are hunting types.....typical Leupolds VX 2s and 3s. What are they?

I thought it had something to do with the reticle magnification (size) changing and effecting mil dots and ranging?

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,664 Posts
It's easy to find out is you have a first or second focal plane scope. If you change the magnification and the reticle (cross hairs) size gets larger or smaller along with the size of the target, you have a first plane reticle scope. Most scopes have second plane reticle so as you change magnification, the size of the reticle stays the same but the target changes size. You can also buy a dual focal plane scope. One made by Shepherd is a fantastic scope with excellent features. Here's a link: Dual Reticle Scope | Shepherd Scopes.

For the handgun reloaders .... LHBWC

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
All my scopes are hunting types.....typical Leupolds VX 2s and 3s. What are they?

I thought it had something to do with the reticle magnification (size) changing and effecting mil dots and ranging?
My money’s on 2nd focal plane. You are correct, the size of a FFP reticle does change in size as you move through the power range.

ETA......I’m not a mil dot guy, but I think you are correct. My MOA Nightforce has to be at 22X for all hash marks in my reticle to be true.

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
LHBWC........Lead Hollow Base Wad Cutter??

·
16,664 Posts
Mark, By heating a brass rifle case from the neck to the mouth, it will soften the "work hardened" brass This has three benefits ... it increases case life, it improves accuracy, and it allows the case mouth to seal in the chamber, thus avoiding sooty cases. Annealing does not work well with straight wall brass .... only bottle neck cases. The annealing process is the opposite for steel where you heat it up then quench it to harden the metal. I posted a simple "How To" in the forum library titled "Annealing Rifle Brass". Here's a link: Annealing Rifle Brass

CTB alignment

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
Softens the brass from being hardened during firiing, a reloaders practice.
Jason, the hardening also comes from resizing. It gets hard/brittle because the molecules within the brass start to “bunch-up”. Introducing high heat causes them to separate making the brass soft again.

Bore rider......not a clue.

·
16,664 Posts
Mark, You will find virtually all BDC, mil-dot, or range finding scopes are calibrated at the max magnification setting. If you want to do some math, you can also use most scopes at half the max power and get reasonably accurate results. As an example, lets say you had a 3~10X Mil-dot. By placing the scope magnification at 5X, the target distance between dots will be twice as far apart. I used to be very proficient with Mil-dot scopes but now my brain doesn't process the data fast enough or accurate enough to use when hunting. I'm spoiled .... got a laser range finder years ago that solved the distance to target issues.

Reactions: Corndog

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
Ha, I never got into the mil dot game.......I bought a laser in 02 myself.......problem solved.

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
CTB alignment
Hmmmm..........Cartridge to Bolt alignment? A concentricity issue? I have no idea, but I’m curious now.

·
Super Moderator
3,588 Posts
Bore Rider - let’s see if I can explain it right. It is basically a bullet where the body of the bullet is as close to land diameter as possible with a driving band or few to engage the rifling. Basically, the bullet “rides” down the bore without engraving the rifling like a typical bullet that is sized to grove diameter. Accuracy and velocity are said to be increased, it is somewhat popular with the long range crowd (among others) but typically a barrels throat has to be cut for bore riders.

Primer Pocket Crimp

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
Primer Pocket Crimp......Is a crimp ring around the primer, sometimes it’s hard to distinguish. They are generally used on military ammo so as to keep the primer in place under extreme conditions. It will also keep the primer in place if the weapon has headspace issues.

Bump sizing

·
"The Real Deal"
7,540 Posts
Bore Rider - let’s see if I can explain it right. It is basically a bullet where the body of the bullet is as close to land diameter as possible with a driving band or few to engage the rifling. Basically, the bullet “rides” down the bore without engraving the rifling like a typical bullet that is sized to grove diameter. Accuracy and velocity are said to be increased, it is somewhat popular with the long range crowd (among others) but typically a barrels throat has to be cut for bore riders.

Primer Pocket Crimp
bingo 10 points, mark 20 push ups. 🤣

·
"The Real Deal"
7,540 Posts

Primer Pocket Crimp
Hate primer pocket crimp.....

·
"The Real Deal"
7,540 Posts
No, No, No......You can’t assign me 20 for NOT answering a question, maybe 20 for a wrong or incomplete answer. :mad:
Ok 10, it will do you good trust me. I just did 2.5 miles on the eliptical on level 12, so im paying forward. 😉 Plus 20 minutes on the teeter hang up, which was worse than the eliptical. But it helps my back.

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
Ok 10, it will do you good trust me. I just did 2.5 miles on the eliptical on level 12, so im paying forward. 😉. Plus 20 minutes on the teeter hang up, which was worse than the eliptical. But it helps my back.
One hand or two? I can still muster out one-handers. :p

·
16,664 Posts
Mark, You can do 20 for answering my question wrong. CTB alignment is "cylinder-to-bore" alignment and has to do with revolvers only. If c-t-b is off, bullets get damaged and fly goofy. We don't need no stinkin' goofy bullets!

The thought of doing pushups makes me tired. I got out of bed this morning ..... does that count?

Here's an engineering acronym that applies to guns (mostly barrels), ammo, and most other mechanical or electronic hardware.
MTBF

Reactions: Crkckr
61 - 80 of 123 Posts