81 - 100 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
4,236 Posts

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
You mean Berdan?
Old Military 5.56 surplus ammo when you could still buy it cheap before they quit selling it and empty brass to the civilian market.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Old Military 5.56 surplus ammo when you could still buy it cheap before they quit selling it and empty brass to the civilian market.
Here’s a fun fact......Berdan’s were designed by an American and the single more common flash hole was designed by an English man. One would think it would be the other way around.

Reactions: Maddmax

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Mark, You can do 20 for answering my question wrong. CTB alignment is "cylinder-to-bore"
That was gonna be my second guess........honest. :p

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Mark, You can do 20 for answering my question wrong. CTB alignment is "cylinder-to-bore" alignment and has to do with revolvers only. If c-t-b is off, bullets get damaged and fly goofy. We don't need no stinkin' goofy bullets!

The thought of doing pushups makes me tired. I got out of bed this morning ..... does that count?

Here's an engineering acronym that applies to guns (mostly barrels), ammo, and most other mechanical or electronic hardware.
MTBF
Mean time between failure

·
"The Real Deal"
7,540 Posts

·
"The Real Deal"
7,540 Posts
I have seen some 7.62x51 with berdans as well, brass case.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
I hate berdan, will break the crap out of a decapper pin if mixed in with boxers.
I’ve been down that road........once. You learn real quick don’t ya?

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Yes.......Bump sizing was never addressed.........you know how things go off the rails here at times. :p

Reactions: rmichael63

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
I hate berdan, will break the crap out of a decapper pin if mixed in with boxers.
Easy-peasy. Just take an old same size hardened drill bit, the same size as the primer hole (should normally be) or decapper pin size, put it in your decapper pin holder upside down (blunt end out) and try that. It should (if hard enough), push though the center of the double holes, into the crimped on primer and push it out. It's a kinda easy as you go feeling it through. Then take that little "Rocket Ship" looking thingy (de-burring tool) and VERY GENTLY put the pointy end onto the primer pocket edge and SLIGHTLY turn BARELY trimming the pocket burr created from pushing the primer out. I suggest using a hand primer to try and ease a primer in. Might take a couple "trims" to get a tight fit getting that "edge burr" off. Too much and the primer won't stay in, smash the case and recycle it.

Another way. Set a case holder base up in a drill press to match the bit and primer hole. Set the drill depth to stop just short of going through the primer, but deep enough to drill a hole through the double pocket holes. Back to the decapper on your loading press. Still need to trim the crimped primer pocket.

Lotta work. But it's only a one time job.

Reactions: Tacky

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Reactions: Tacky and Mark204

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Bump Sizing........A process that “bumps” the shoulder back on a bottleneck cartridge. If you neck size only there will come a time when your bolt will not close due to the forward movement of the shoulder. Setting up your F/L sizing die or a body die to bump/push the shoulder back .001 or .002” will increase the life of your case since you will not be over working it. It should also help in the accuracy department.

Disconnector

Reactions: Corndog

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,664 Posts
Disconnector: A person that unplugs the Christmas tree ..... or, a device that does not allow the trigger to operate the sear to prevent a "full auto" situation. Found on most semi-auto pistols and rifles.

Delayed blow back

·
"The Real Deal"
7,540 Posts
Barrel extension.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Delayed blow back......(as I understand it), is Not fully locked when the primer goes “bang”, they’re slower, less reliable and more complex than other blow back systems.

OTL

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,664 Posts
Mark, Nope .... John Moses Browning invented the delayed blowback concept (AKA Short Recoil) for his Mod 1905 and later the Mod 1911. The barrel is locked into the slide until the bullet exits the muzzle. Then the sudden pressure change unlocks the slide from the barrel and blows the slide back to cycle the action. Two major benefits .... the recoil spring is about half a strong as a similar direct blowback pistol. This makes it easier to operate with less felt recoil. Most 9mm and larger pistols use some form of delayed blowback operation.

OTL Out to lunch?

81 - 100 of 123 Posts