Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All of my life its been the thrill of the hunt it seems its all we live for, a hunter is a person that is leaving a nice warm place he lives at to go out into the woods to match wits with the wild animal's out there. They have to rely on their wits there very life depends on them known what where and how to do their daily business. Think about it we for the most part do not have to eat our meal's looking over our shoulders. We don't have to listen very hard for every strange sounds and wonder what was that?
The wild life doesn't have ac or heaters to keep them warm or cool, they have no bottle water to buy they have to drink from the steams and rivers where we as people dump crap in too. I remember my dad throwing a rock at a friend that was going to pee in the stream. He got mad and asked why he did that?? My dad told him would drink that water after you peed in it he said hell no! My dad said then don't expect the wild life to drink from it either.
We at that point went back to camp and he left I never ever seem him again. My dad told me son never ever disrepect the wild life, never ever wound and animal, if you do don't ever come back until you have done right by that animal and killed it.
I have never ever had a wounded aniaml to deal with, I only took the sure shots that I could kill in one shot. I use to watch hunting shows and it has left a bad taste in my mouth where the hunters or so called ones take the shot and then freeze and won't shoot again when the guide tell's them shoot again. No they have some lame reason to not shoot and the aniaml suffer's. I couldn't be a guide. I would have to tell them I had to take two shots one to finsh off the aniaml and the second to remove this want to be hunter.
The thrill of the hunt to me is doing right by the forest, and the animal's. live it like ya find it where on one would very know ya was there, ya can do that then stay home. After all no one wants a deer or bear craping in their living room so why leave trash and can's and stuff in their living room?

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Snuffy, I agree. I had to start locking gates going into my Ranch because of people dumping trash and Poaching. If we would take care of our wildlife and habitat, we could all enjoy it, and leave something for our Grandchildren.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Good post Snuffy. We hunt in federal forest land. You'd be amazed at the amount of rubish jeepers, hikers, and hunters leave up in those woods. We always bring extra garbage bags and live by Dad's rule of packing out more than we brought and leaving our site cleaner than we found it.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
+1 snuffy

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Snuffy,
I agree with many of the things you have outlined about the way we interact with nature.

[RANT]My pet peeve is litter. I despise litter and people whom litter. I even despise people whom fling their ashes out of the vehicle windows. My reaction is usually "that's a mighty big ashtray you've got there." This is God's creation, and he has given us stewardship over it. When I am out in the woods I am appalled when I come across trash, especially when I am in the deep woods. What the heaven was on someone's mind. My maxim has always been leave a place or a person better than when you found it or them. [/RANT]

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lol peace your right we do that to our selves knowing full well that we are and we should be over it but we will never get over it. My very first father in law every season would just be wound up, his age had gotten to the point that he couldn't hunt much. But I had at the time a ground stand that he could put a coleman heater in and keep warm. He really enjoyed getting out, had to learn him how to dress a deer right so it would taste bad lol. He was still letting me learn him on our last hunt. It was ok as he would have the coffee hot and lots of it.

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
The part of the Ranch that I have a Camping Trailer on, My Dad owned for about 50 years and left it a lot better than it was when he bought it. I've had it for nearly 50 years and have improved it a lot. If my Boy will take care of it, my Grandchildren will gave a great place to Camp, Hunt, and Fish. It has a Creek going along the south border with lots of fish, and I have ponds stocked with fish. Has Deer, Turkey, Quail, Squirrel, Rabbits, and lots of other Wildlife. If we would just help nature out by doing our part, we could have a wonderful place to hunt, camp and fish.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts