Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I doubt that the info given at this link will come as a surprise to anyone who has been a member of this forum for very long .... to move through the info you use the right arrow button .... to the segment of the general public that has little, if any, experience with firearms, specially those in the news media, it may come as a revelation .... I found it to be a straight forward, factual, well documented presentation

·
Registered
483 Posts
Perception IS reality.

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
Unfortunately, that perception is the reality of the uneducated masses.
That excellent website should be required reading for everyone who wants the real facts on the matter.
Liberal ideology would keep that from happening though.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Where I work, I am the only person who hunts and participates in other shooting activities. Somehow, I have become the "expert" on all things firearm related. I have had a lot of questions over the past year or so. Which range from, "Why do cops have to shoot to kill, why don't they just shoot to wound, like shoot them in the leg or the arm?" to "Why do you need so many guns to hunt with? Can't you just get by with one gun?"

My response to the first one is even if you don't have any experience shooting firearms, and if you were being attacked and in what you will perceive is a life or death situation or at best a situation which could cause you great bodily harm, your instinctual response is to strike your assailant in the center of mass. Be it with a rock, your fists, a knife, or a gun. All situations where a policeman has to use lethal force will be an emotionally charged scenario, and your fine motor control is gone, therefore a shoot to wound shot is difficult if not impossible to accomplish. Besides, wounded men who wish to do harm on a police officer can still be a threat to the officer's life or those of innocent bystanders.

My answer to the second one is, "If you hire me to build a garage for you, but then tell me that I can only use one tool to build this garage, which one do you want me to bring?"

The question I get asked the most is "Why do you hunters and gun nuts need a machine gun?" Upon further inquiry I find that most non-hunters and shooters think that most guns are true machine guns. That when we call a gun an "automatic", it is a firearm that will continue to shoot until the magazine is empty with just one squeeze and a hold on the trigger. When I tell them the truth about how our "semi-automatic" firearms work, they don't believe me. And invariably they try to describe an AR-15 style of rifle.

The general public just has been brainwashed into thinking that the looks of a gun make it a fully automatic, true, machine gun. I know some of the people I have explained what the fallacy of that thought is, don't believe me because they automatically label me as a gun "enthusiast" with an agenda to keep and acquire what they consider are inappropriate firearms.

The most idiotic stare I ever got was at a Civil War reenactment. The unit was explaining all the details of a soldier's life during the Civil War and one young man was describing the types and use of the firearms. I was asking questions like how often they can shoot before the have to clean out the bore because it gets to hard to load, how many grains of powder, etc. This very attractive young lady said to me that it sounds like I know a lot about these type of guns. I said I hunt with a blackpowder rifle which is reproduction of what Lewis and Clark took on their Journey of Discovery in the early 1800's. She asked me why I did that. I told her I like to hunt with the more primitive weapons, and by using a blackpowder rifle I could get another weekend of deer hunting in every fall. I also told her that my other deer hunting rifle is a single shot rifle (Ruger#1) based on a rifle designed in the mid-to late 1880's.

She exclaimed that it was refreshing to meet a hunter who was a true sportsman and didn't want to "slaughter" a dozen defenseless deer with one pull of the trigger by using an assault weapon designed by the military.

I replied that I didn't want to appear snarky, but the single shot, blackpowder muzzleloader that I hunt with was the military assault weapon of its day.

She looked at me like I was really a quart short of a bushel and sort of snorted in a derisive manner walked away.

"They are a species unto themselves and will never understand us." Chingachook of "Last of the Mohicans".

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Another truth is that many (if not most) of "them" actually do understand firearms and their operation, but see fit to parrot the "official line" to further brainwash the unenlightened.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
CW Phelps, I agree with the explanations with the exception of the Police Officers that shoot to kill by aiming at the "center of mass" the reason is to stop the attacker nothing else, definitely not to kill. Simply to stop. Very important when later testifying in court. Note I'm an old law dog.

JE Bar, excellent post btw.

·
Registered
680 Posts
CW that just means you need to move to another state that's all. I agree with the sentiment of the post but they may be better in the tavern than this subforum. Hey I'm not a mod though!

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
CW Phelps, I agree with the explanations with the exception of the Police Officers that shoot to kill by aiming at the "center of mass" the reason is to stop the attacker nothing else, definitely not to kill. Simply to stop. Very important when later testifying in court. Note I'm an old law dog.

JE Bar, excellent post btw.
thank you .... another chart that I find to be interesting

Attachments

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just curious where you found that chart? I would love to reference it.
emailed to me by a Doctor in St Louis .... I emailed him back asking for a link .... will post it when I get it .... to try and find it I did a Google search for deaths in the US and found a bunch of references with similar numbers but not the exact one he sent me

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just curious where you found that chart? I would love to reference it.
emailed to me by a Doctor in St Louis .... I emailed him back asking for a link .... will post it when I get it .... to try and find it I did a Google search for deaths in the US and found a bunch of references with similar numbers but not the exact one he sent me

he made the graph using data provided in the following two links :

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr64/nvsr64_02.pdf

FastStats - Leading Causes of Death

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Most of the libs have too many political ideologies up their butts to be able to come up with anything rational.

I personally don't have anything against machine guns in civilian hands. Unlike the garbage spouted it takes a greater amount of skill, training, and technique to employ one effectively, though I'd rather not waste ammunition.

But yes, the general public is often quite ignorant on these and other issues, especially if weaned on the popular media.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
With some fancy clothes and a five round mag, what makes this different from any other sporting rifle?

That ominous conspicuously protruding grip?

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have shown many people an ar and a wood stocked mini 14 and they did not believe the guns were equal mechanically.
You could get one of those aftermarket folding stocks with a pistol grip for your mini, change it over in front of their eyes, pop a 30 round magazine in, and blow their freaking minds!

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
The presentation neglected to mention the dreaded "bayonet lug".:)
Since the M4 has a shorter barrel than the common AR15 carbines (14.5 vs 16), does a bayonet even fit? If it doesn't, then the anti-gun bedwetters are worried about a bayonet non-mount.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
There's plenty of ways to tacticool a Mini.

Side folders went out of style in the 90's.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts