Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put in an evening shift at the police department last night. They’re a bit short-handed because of the people on “COVID-19 exposure quarantine”, so I was in a solo car all by myself.

End of shift was at 0200 and at 0145 I got a call to investigate a report of a woman laying in the roadway in a residential neighborhood. I decided it was something that couldn’t wait for the next shift to handle.

As I turned the corner, I could see a woman laying face down in the middle of the road, stark naked. I got a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach - “Body dump”, I thought to myself. I parked about 20 yards short of the body, not wanting to disturb potential evidence, and walked the rest of the way, watching carefully for tire marks, debris and other possible clues.

I cautiously placed two fingers on the side of her neck, to check for a pulse that I didn’t expect to find. To my shock and surprise, the “body” snorted, groaned, rolled over and sat up.

“What are YOU doin’ here?”, she asked in a slurred voice.

“I’m with the [name redacted] police department”, I replied. “I was just checking to see if you were hurt.”

“I’m fine!”, she grumped “Now get out of my apartment!”

I was beginning to suspect that she wasn’t entirely “with it”. A quick but discrete survey revealed no overt injuries or anything else amiss, apart from a strong smell of alcohol and pinpoint pupils. I called for an ambulance and went back to the patrol car to get a blanket for her.

By the time I returned with the blanket, she was fast asleep on the asphalt again and didn’t even wake up when the ambulance arrived. The paramedics and I managed to convince her to let them take her to the hospital (that took about half an hour) and they took her off my hands.

After they left, I got back in the patrol car and headed back to the station. I had gotten about half a block when I caught sight of a piece of light-colored cloth hanging on a bush at the roadside. I stopped to investigate - it was a woman’s underpants. I put it in a paper evidence bag.

A little further down the street, I found a bra; a block later, a pair of pants, then a shirt and later a jacket, shoes and one sock (the other was probably eaten by a dryer - mine does that all the time). Just beyond the last bit of clothing, I spotted a purse sitting in the gutter - the ID in it looked a lot like the woman I had found in the street (although considerably more sober).

I put everything in the evidence bag and dropped it by the ER on my way back to the police station. She was snoozing in an observation bed by then.

I wonder what she will remember of that night....

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,413 Posts
More literary gold from the Pacific Northwest! I love your stories. Thanks for keeping us informed on the people in your life. Between the ER and your Reserve shifts it's always interesting and humorous.

·
Premium Member
2,404 Posts
She just may wake up and wonder "who was that man in my apartment last night"?
*Thanks for the log and she should be grateful you took the time to secure her situation and get her out of harms way. This leaves you to wonder what the rest of the story is as usual. Life for sure is stranger than fiction.
Be safe!

·
Pony Soldier
8,419 Posts
Never a dull moment Jim!
Drunk people make up a significant number of our Rescue calls!

Greg

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Never a dull moment Jim!
Drunk people make up a significant number of our Rescue calls!

Greg
If it wasn’t for drugs and alcohol, I’d be doing the crossword puzzle at work most of the time.

I got an update this morning (back channel) that she had come up positive for morphine (it’s what heroin is metabolized to), MDMA (“Ecstasy”) and benzodiazepines. And her blood alcohol level was 0.25%. I doubt she remembers a thing about that night. Lucky someone spotted her - she could have died from hypothermia (rainy and 43 deg F that night). Or been run over...

·
Registered
380 Posts
Had a family come home from a 'First Night Celebration' (alcohol free New Years Eve, they don't hold it here anymore, turned out that after the novelty wore off, not many people cared about an alcohol free New Years Eve) to find someone that they had never seen before passed out on their front porch. As I recall the temperature was about zero F that night. He turned out to be one of only two patients I ever had that scored in the 0.4's for blood alcohol. He never would have made daylight alive (although he might not have been capable of being literally frozen)!

Bruce

·
Exchequer
4,352 Posts
So we should assume that your shift did not end at 0200. Hope you got some OT.

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
You know, it has not changed much from the mid-80s till now. I was the CFO of a small rural hospital in Oklahoma, about 45 miles East of Norman. Back then when someone came or was carried to the ER and they were too much under the influence of drugs (mostly) or alcohol, we would do our workup in the ER and LAB and then get an EOD (Emergency Order of Detention) and send them via the Sheriff's Office to the state mental facility in Norman. There they would be kept for three days to a week until they regained their faculties and could be safely released. As I was also a notary public, I had to go to the ER many times at two, three or four o'clock in the morning to notarize the signatures for the EOD. The one instance that has always stayed with me was of a 19 year old white female who had to be sent to Norman. Her picture ID revealed a beautiful blonde haired, blue eyed woman, with perfect features and teeth, who would make any man smile. I was fearful she might not look like her ID right then but had to go to the ER to finish everything up. To my horror and shame for her I saw a woman with a totally shaved head, tons of ear rings and piercings on her face and nose and eyebrows as well as her ears, three or four tattoos on her neck and the top of her head, and the most awful disgusting and dirty clothing I had ever seen. It was a perfectly awful scene. Anyway, the deputies took her to their vehicle and on to Norman. I found out later she was from a prominent and wealthy family and had just lost her life. I have always hoped she found her way back.

·
Premium Member
13,800 Posts
She was leaving a trail of clothes crumbs to find her way back!

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,261 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts