Ruger Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Not a big SA guy, but when I started reading a lot about the Wrangler, and its crazy low price, I had to jump in, both feet.. I mean seriously, a Ruger built SA revolver, under $200?
Found mine for $180+ tax, and took it home yesterday.. REALLY nice gun. I had been considering a Heritage for quite a while, which is a few dollars cheaper, but its also not built with the precision of a Ruger. So now i have a SA plinker in .22LR, to go alongside its semi auto brothers at the range, 22/45 and SR22, and 10/22 .
I really look forward to spending some time with it, and attempt to polish up my admittedly weak SA "skills"..

I will say , and no one here will contradict I'm sure, that whatever the platform, Ruger knows how to build a .22 LR firearm.. At a moderate price point, no one does it any better, and their service after sale is legendary. Found that out first hand when I messed up a Ruger with my own clumsiness, and they fixed it 100% like new, totally free, and were perfectly gracious. . Other companies might have stated "not our fault" and charged for the repair.. Ruger engenders brand loyalty.. For me at least.. bob.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Don't own any single actions yet. I would love to get a Ruger model 0320,New Model Blackhawk convertible in 357magnum/9mm.That would be getting 2 guns for the price of one.I am partial to revolvers,semi-autos are great tools but I just like 6 shooters better,just might be from watching western growing up. All that being said I would like to get a good used 1911 in 45cap for the tool box.
Would be like getting 3 guns in one I own a BlackHawk in 357/9mm and of course 38 spl. I find I like shooting all of the calibers depending like when I hunt I carry it as backup in 357 but often target practice in 9mm or 38spl while my wife prefers the 38 spl (115 grain or 158 is what I typically shoot in them.
Have several rimfire sa Rugers as well including a couple of Wranglers
These are always the guns I use when teaching someone new to firearms, it’s rare I pull out any semi autos until I see how well they handle the SAs first.
I rarely shoot my DAs in DA I instinctively thumb the hammer on the draw and shoot in SA...old habit I guess.
Ly

·
Super Moderator
21,241 Posts
I have a little North American Arms .22LR/.22WMR convertible by swapping cylinders.. Its probably the most finely crafted and beautifully machined gun I own.. Cute as a button too!
Its so tiny though I am wildly inaccurate with it, and really it doesn't have much use as a real CC weapon.. Just loved the look of it.. Hey, it IS a single action revolver... right?... bob
It is wildly accurate at minute of belly range. You can CC that when wearing swimming trunks so whats not to like.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Not a big SA guy, but when I started reading a lot about the Wrangler, and its crazy low price, I had to jump in, both feet.. I mean seriously, a Ruger built SA revolver, under $200?
Found mine for $180+ tax, and took it home yesterday.. REALLY nice gun. I had been considering a Heritage for quite a while, which is a few dollars cheaper, but its also not built with the precision of a Ruger. So now i have a SA plinker in .22LR, to go alongside its semi auto brothers at the range, 22/45 and SR22, and 10/22 .
I really look forward to spending some time with it, and attempt to polish up my admittedly weak SA "skills"..

I will say , and no one here will contradict I'm sure, that whatever the platform, Ruger knows how to build a .22 LR firearm.. At a moderate price point, no one does it any better, and their service after sale is legendary. Found that out first hand when I messed up a Ruger with my own clumsiness, and they fixed it 100% like new, totally free, and were perfectly gracious. . Other companies might have stated "not our fault" and charged for the repair.. Ruger engenders brand loyalty.. For me at least.. bob.
Agree on the Wrangler. It's a stupid good deal.

·
Registered
458 Posts
That's a thing of beauty! Can't beat a hand-held small cannon!
I'm guessing the 'Wheel-Kit' is sold separately?
----------

Thanks Amishman44!

Yes wheel kit sold seperately!, this project completed in 1999 and its been a really fun SA.

This gun started life as a 454, the cylinder was re-linebored to a larger caliber. Its a tad bit forward heavy (with thicker barrel) so only use moderate to low recoil loads(still either heavy bullets or lighter bullets).

When I used to run full house loads i personally always needed a standard (lighter) barrel to get a bit of muzzle flip, which helps me with felt recoil).

Never liked a gun shoved almost straight back into my wrist/arm, for general shooting or hunting.

I secured a slightly taller front ramp for easier zeroing in.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Sounds like some of you could benefit from joining SASS (Single Action Shooting Society). We get to shoot Single Actions a lot. Yes, they are fun, and on top of the revolvers, we shoot lever action rifles, and shotguns. Come join the fun.

WR

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have a some Ruger single action revolvers...I really like them.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
I too love single action revolvers. I have several including two Bearcats, a Single 10 and a New Model Blackhawk in .45 Colt.

I had tried a new Heritage Rough Rider in .22LR but the finish was very rough and it spewed rounds everywhere except where I was aiming. :) Some folks have good luck with them but not me.

Awhile back I read in Gun Tests magazine about the Chiappa SAA 1873 Buntline, (12” bbl.), 22LR revolver. They gave it an A rating so I was intrigued. I checked it out and for well under $200.00 I went for one.

I know some will scoff but I was pleasantly surprised when I received it. The finish is very nice. With adjustable sights, it was easy to dial in and with it’s 12” barrel, it’s like shooting a small rifle one handed.

Maybe like the Rough Riders these are hit and miss in quality but my example is very nice and I really like it and glad I went for it.

I had an old set of faux stag grips for a Ruger Blackhawk and with some fairly easy modifications, I got them to fit nicely.

I love all single action revolvers and love shooting them more than any of my handguns.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
I too like single actions, but don't prefer snubbies. My single 6 has the 9.5" barrel and the Super Blackhawk, 10.5" both for silhouette shooting.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts