Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check with your local law enforcement about the specific laws.
After being shot and robbed in my place of business a kind Police Lieutenant sat down and explained that I was responsible for protecting myself ... all they could do was come after the crime was committed and try and solve it.
He then went on to explain to me that in Louisiana , as a homeowner and business owner , that I can legally carry a concealed weapon with no permit required . I can legally do so inside my house , outside my house on my private property , from my house to my car and in my car . My car is considered an extension of my home .
I can drive to my place of business , carry inside of my business and outside on the business property...including the parking lot .

The other thing I didn't know is Louisiana has a legal open carry law... I can open carry without any required permit , anyplace that doesn't prohibit firearms such as places that serve alcohol , court houses, voting places, schools and a few other places that prohibit the carrying of any firearm .
One local restaurant gives a 10% discount if you are open carrying !

After learning all the places I can legally carry ...it pretty much covers all the places I want to carry and do so legally without a permit .

Do some investigating into the laws in your state and you might be surprised to learn what you can do legally .
The allowance of open carry with no permit was news to me and I like it .
Gary

·
Registered
881 Posts
What? Wait What?
According to most all the folks running for the Presidency that is completely false and there is no need for you to have to worry about protecting yourself !
I know everyone on here is similar in mind I just couldn't help being a smart alec this time.

I think thats great that your LEO informed you about the local laws surrounding this as that would not always be the case depending on the officer.

Here in MN open carry is allowed with a permit to carry (can carry open or concealed)( also can carry openly on ones own property without a permit) however if one were to try to carry openly in the metropolitan area one would be subjecting oneself to several calls to PD as its not at all common or well known, but in the rural areas I have witnessed open carry and nobody seemed to care at all

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Remember that state and municipal laws vary widely when it comes to carrying firearms.

For example:

Oregon state law does not prohibit open carry AND the state constitution has a pre-emption clause that reserves laws pertaining to firearms to the state legislature (i.e. only the state legislature can make laws pertaining to firearms). HOWEVER, the city of Portland (AKA Havana in the Willamette) has a law forbidding open carry, even if you have a CCW permit. The fact that this law is in violation of the state constitution has not prevented Portland from arresting and prosecuting people for openly carrying firearms (although it HAS prevented them from winning in court - sadly, most people arrested for open carry plea bargain to other crimes).

So, just because a law enforcement officer in one jurisdiction says something is legal doesn't mean that it’s legal in the next town over. And just because state or federal law protects a right does not keep law makers from passing laws violating that right (lookin’ at YOU New Jersey and New York!).

Jim

·
Registered
17 Posts
Here in PA we can open carry as well, however it is my opinion that open carry is asking for problems. I prefer to be the grey man using cc only. I also think it gives me a slight edge utilizing the surprise factor.

I know when I'm cc'g, I try to avoid all confrontations and would rather walk away than instigate a confrontation. I believe open carry, and this is my opinion, is of the mindset "hey! Don't screw with me - look what I'm carrying".

Given the choice, and I have a choice, I cc everytime.

·
Registered
153 Posts
You definitely have to be ready to defend yourself or have a plan for flight.

More generally speaking, anyone who is relying on their government to aid/protect/save them when things go wrong is setting themselves up for disappointment and tragedy.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
No open carry in Florida (unless you are going fishing or hunting or camping).

But one good thing is that we have a preemption law that does not allow counties, cities, townships, etc from enacting any laws or ordinances that conflict with the state laws.

·
Super Moderator
21,336 Posts
With police now becoming the targets they may need our help.

Interesting that the LT was that honest in his discussion with the OP. Obviously they can't be everywhere at once. They will come draw a chalk outine around your body and try to find the killer. If they are in NYC and they arrest the killer he will immediately be released on his OR.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
It is always good to know what the laws are, especially if you have no desire to get a CPL license. However, for me, I think I will always have my permit. This is for a couple reasons. First, Michigan has been playing around with the idea of constitutional carry. However, it has yet to happen, and with our governor on full display giving the democrat rebuttal to the State of the Union, it wont be passed by her anytime soon. But I still would not give it up. I like being able to use my CPL when buying a firearm versus going through the NICS process every time I buy. Second, when I travel, I enjoy having some reciprocity with most states.

What I think more people need to know is what you said in your second sentence, you are responsible for protecting yourself. Do what you need to do to carry and protect yourself. If constitutional carry works for your situation, great, then carry. And Practice. And Practice. And Practice

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
In Nj simple you can carry on your property or business never in your car without an unobtainable ccw permit. other than job related brinks truck etc or retired policd less than 1300 in a state of 9 million. In your vehicle unloaded only in the trunk or rear of the vehicle no loade mags no loaded speed loaders. ammo if in a gun case must be in is own box. Welcome to gun hell

·
Registered
332 Posts
Constitutional (CCDW) Carry in Kentucky started this summer. I am still renewing my CCDW permit I have had for many years, since reciprocity becomes an issue when you travel.

I think we can still open carry also.

·
Sky Marshal
184 Posts
It's good you live in a state where sanity prevails.

In Illinois, it depends on where you are.. If you're in a 2A sanctuary county, a true self-defense shooting is usually not prosecuted.

In the Chicago metro area, I think you're expected to not fight back but continuously say: " Thank You Sir, may I have another?"

·
Premium Member
2,703 Posts
Whenever I travel I review the gun laws of the state's I intend to travel through. Some states like Illinois, Maryland, New Jersey and the like are avoided totally.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Gary, WHEN were you shot and robbed?? Please don't say this is recent! What was the injury like? I had not heard this.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Gary, WHEN were you shot and robbed?? Please don't say this is recent! What was the injury like? I had not heard this.
April 21, 2004 Wednesday , 5:45 AM , Baton Rouge , Louisiana
The office was open for business (structural engineer and architecture) I was working on plans for a church and liked to get an early start .
the bad guy walked into the kitchen , said nothing and fired 4 shots as I was pouring a cup of coffee . At 6 feet , 3 shots were misses but one shot struck me in the right side of my face . His gun jammed , he cleared the jam and was out of ammo . He got a wallet with $3.00 and some business cards in it and ran out . A description led to his arrest within a few hours , he shot at one police officer and missed and then shot a swat member in the arm during the take down . He was convicted and sentenced to a total of 85 years of crimes .
When he committed this crime he was on parole for another armed robbery conviction so got additional years for that .
All for $3.00 ! I kinda feel sorry for him he was a young man but when he gets out of prison he will be an old man...life wasted ...no wife, kids or family..
That's Really Sad

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,783 Posts
All for $3.00 ! I kinda feel sorry for him he was a young man but when he gets out of prison he will be an old man...life wasted ...no wife, kids or family..
That's Really Sad
It's sad because it's avoidable. You are a saint for feeling that way about a man who shot you.

Having grown up in a tough 'hood, I had two friends who went to prison for murder. Stupid choices they could have avoided. Neither crime was out of any clear need: just juvenile rage and stupidity. That said, neither of them was evil. They helped me and my family on many occasions. But they made a terrible decision out of rage or drunkenness and the rest followed.

I'm glad you are okay, but we should remember that a lot of crooks are like these guys. They shoot fast and carelessly; you have every right to defend yourself. I bet had he cleared the jam and found more ammo, you'l not be typing your tale here.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's sad because it's avoidable. You are a saint for feeling that way about a man who shot you.

Having grown up in a tough 'hood, I had two friends who went to prison for murder. Stupid choices they could have avoided. Neither crime was out of any clear need: just juvenile rage and stupidity. That said, neither of them was evil. They helped me and my family on many occasions. But they made a terrible decision out of rage or drunkenness and the rest followed.

I'm glad you are okay, but we should remember that a lot of crooks are like these guys. They shoot fast and carelessly; you have every right to defend yourself. I bet had he cleared the jam and found more ammo, you'l not be typing your tale here.
Thanks but no saint , just regular nice guy trying to make sense of this crazy world .
What's sad is if the fellow would have walked in the kitchen and asked me for money I more than likely would have given him $20.00... I'm an easy touch with a soft heart for those who need help...my wife calls me a sucker for a sob story and stray kittens ...but that was how my mom raised me ...
Just be nice to everyone .
Gary

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
Check with your local law enforcement about the specific laws.
After being shot and robbed in my place of business a kind Police Lieutenant sat down and explained that I was responsible for protecting myself ... all they could do was come after the crime was committed and try and solve it.
He then went on to explain to me that in Louisiana , as a homeowner and business owner , that I can legally carry a concealed weapon with no permit required . I can legally do so inside my house , outside my house on my private property , from my house to my car and in my car . My car is considered an extension of my home .
I can drive to my place of business , carry inside of my business and outside on the business property...including the parking lot .
The other thing I didn't know is Louisiana has a legal open carry law... I can open carry without any required permit , anyplace that doesn't prohibit firearms such as places that serve alcohol , court houses, voting places, schools and a few other places that prohibit the carrying of any firearm .
One local restaurant gives a 10% discount if you are open carrying !
After learning all the places I can legally carry ...it pretty much covers all the places I want to carry and do so legally without a permit .
Do some investigating into the laws in your state and you might be surprised to learn what you can do legally .
The allowance of open carry with no permit was news to me and I like it .
Gary
Kudo's to the Lt. who took the time to sit down and explain it to you...that's the kool part in much of this!

Also, some good points made here...especially the part about knowing one's state and local laws regarding personal carry on private property (that you own) and in one's place of business that you also own!

Those laws sound fairly similar to Indiana's laws...especially regarding carrying on personally and privately owned property...both home and business!

Glad you made it!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Great post. It's very important to know your states laws regarding these things although I'll admit I'm probably not up to date with all of mine as it's been a while since I last checked:

In some states one cannot carry inside of an establishment that derives most of their revenue from alcohol sales (bars and taverns) but in my state one can carry in a bar so long as they are not drinking.

In my state it is also legal to carry any type of knife you want so long as you have a concealed carry permit. This includes automatic knives or a foot and a half long Bowie if you can fit it down your pants, no restrictions.

In my state anyone who attempts to break into your vehicle by force while you or your loved ones are in it can be shot the same way as if they were breaking into your home. My state doesn't differentiate between being in your home or in your vehicle if a break in occurs.

There is no requirement to inform an LEO that you are carrying a concealed weapon in my state but if one requests documentation you have to show them your license and state ID. Some states do require you to inform the LEO while others say you only have to inform one if they specifically ask.

There is at least one state (can't remember which one) where it's illegal to conceal carry more than one handgun so no "New York Reloads" allowed there. You could carry a pistol with 17 rounds in it but you can't carry two J-Frames totaling 10 rounds, if that makes any sense.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts