Ruger Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
A few thoughts from a very opiniated old guy. First, I am a Christian, and have no interest in hurting folks. Second, I worked in 4 law enforcement jobs and put lots of folks in jail. Third for a second career, I went to law school and practiced law about 25 years including 8 as a prosecutor and put lots in jail.

Now, the Supreme Court has ruled that the police have no duty to protect you. The DA has no duty to enforce all the laws. And it gets worse...………… No one has to stop and pull you out of the ditch or come to your wife's aid if some guy is raping her on a public street, nobody even has to call the cops. Think about this, Obama and now Trump have told the US attorneys NOT to prosecute people who violate federal marijuana laws in states that have made it OK under their state law, so as an example, we are not really a nation of laws, we just say that.

What makes the world better is God made a lot of good people. If someone is abusing your wife on the street, at least in the southern half of the nation, people are going to stop and assist. And so far, we still have the right to possess guns to protect ourselves and others. Your local officer is correct, it is really your job to take care of yourself and family.

Yes I am opinionated but I think most gun people are going to step up. I have investigated cases where a good Samaritan and his wife and kid were murdered simply for helping a lady on the roadside. And I have sent guys to jail who raped and tried to murder a 19 teen year old girl. Lots of bad people out there, and you never know when they will come down your street.

So, you have to be careful, keep your door locked and just be vigilant. Just my 2 cents. Be safe.

·
Registered
42 Posts
A few thoughts from a very opiniated old guy. First, I am a Christian, and have no interest in hurting folks. Second, I worked in 4 law enforcement jobs and put lots of folks in jail. Third for a second career, I went to law school and practiced law about 25 years including 8 as a prosecutor and put lots in jail.

Now, the Supreme Court has ruled that the police have no duty to protect you. The DA has no duty to enforce all the laws. And it gets worse...………… No one has to stop and pull you out of the ditch or come to your wife's aid if some guy is raping her on a public street, nobody even has to call the cops. Think about this, Obama and now Trump have told the US attorneys NOT to prosecute people who violate federal marijuana laws in states that have made it OK under their state law, so as an example, we are not really a nation of laws, we just say that.

What makes the world better is God made a lot of good people. If someone is abusing your wife on the street, at least in the southern half of the nation, people are going to stop and assist. And so far, we still have the right to possess guns to protect ourselves and others. Your local officer is correct, it is really your job to take care of yourself and family.

Yes I am opinionated but I think most gun people are going to step up. I have investigated cases where a good Samaritan and his wife and kid were murdered simply for helping a lady on the roadside. And I have sent guys to jail who raped and tried to murder a 19 teen year old girl. Lots of bad people out there, and you never know when they will come down your street.

So, you have to be careful, keep your door locked and just be vigilant. Just my 2 cents. Be safe.
We are fast becoming a nation of lawlessness my friend and those good people you mentioned are going to be taken out of it someday, either literally or by rendering them unable to have a positive effect on anything. I hope I won't be around when that happens. People are going to need a lot more than hi-cap pistols and AR-15's to save them then.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Interesting that the LT was that honest in his discussion with the OP. Obviously they can't be everywhere at once. They will come draw a chalk outline around your body and try to find the killer. If they are in NYC and they arrest the killer he will immediately be released on his OR.
That last part is only true if the suspect is an illegal, I mean undocumented democrat. After all, we wouldn't want ICE or CBT to get their slimy, fascist hands on him!!!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Amazing

Check with your local law enforcement about the specific laws.
After being shot and robbed in my place of business a kind Police Lieutenant sat down and explained that I was responsible for protecting myself ... all they could do was come after the crime was committed and try and solve it.
He then went on to explain to me that in Louisiana , as a homeowner and business owner , that I can legally carry a concealed weapon with no permit required . I can legally do so inside my house , outside my house on my private property , from my house to my car and in my car . My car is considered an extension of my home .
I can drive to my place of business , carry inside of my business and outside on the business property...including the parking lot .

The other thing I didn't know is Louisiana has a legal open carry law... I can open carry without any required permit , anyplace that doesn't prohibit firearms such as places that serve alcohol , court houses, voting places, schools and a few other places that prohibit the carrying of any firearm .
One local restaurant gives a 10% discount if you are open carrying !

After learning all the places I can legally carry ...it pretty much covers all the places I want to carry and do so legally without a permit .

Do some investigating into the laws in your state and you might be surprised to learn what you can do legally .
The allowance of open carry with no permit was news to me and I like it .
Gary
What's amazing to me is that the LEO knew what the laws were, many don't.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
2,288 Posts
Oregon is complicated. Oregon is a Constitutional open carry state, but allows local governments to regulate carry. One county and several cities mandate the open carried gun be unloaded in their city limits. Some cities require unloaded carry in specific areas like parks. You can be legal open carrying a loaded gun on one side of the street and a felon on the other side of the street.

Oregon has a Concealed Handgun License. The law that created the license preempts local governments from regulating carry. Theoretically, you can have a Concealed Handgun License and open carry a loaded gun in counties or cities that ban open loaded carry. I would not trust a beat cop to know the law.

You also need to know the state, county, and city laws regarding carry of a knife.

·
Registered
60 Posts
CCW The Smart Way.

Check with your local law enforcement about the specific laws.
After being shot and robbed in my place of business a kind Police Lieutenant sat down and explained that I was responsible for protecting myself ... all they could do was come after the crime was committed and try and solve it.
He then went on to explain to me that in Louisiana , as a homeowner and business owner , that I can legally carry a concealed weapon with no permit required . I can legally do so inside my house , outside my house on my private property , from my house to my car and in my car . My car is considered an extension of my home .
I can drive to my place of business , carry inside of my business and outside on the business property...including the parking lot .

The other thing I didn't know is Louisiana has a legal open carry law... I can open carry without any required permit , anyplace that doesn't prohibit firearms such as places that serve alcohol , court houses, voting places, schools and a few other places that prohibit the carrying of any firearm .
One local restaurant gives a 10% discount if you are open carrying !

After learning all the places I can legally carry ...it pretty much covers all the places I want to carry and do so legally without a permit .

Do some investigating into the laws in your state and you might be surprised to learn what you can do legally .
The allowance of open carry with no permit was news to me and I like it .
Gary
Afternoon. I am a 75 year old retired Master Sergeant who has had a CCW for over 20 years. In all that time I have never had to draw a weapon in anger or an emergency. The best advise I can give is to learn the local laws, check with the local law enforcement people to get a feeling on their thoughts on civilians carrying fire arms then above all keeping mind the responsibility you have when carrying a fire arm. Always remember that once the trigger is pulled you cannot recall the bullet no matter what you do. You have made a commitment that you will have to live with. You will have to take responsibility for your own actions and your life may be changed as a result. Having said that, May all your troubles be small ones and above all, Stay Safe !!

·
Registered
527 Posts
OldGringo quote
"What makes the world better is God made a lot of good people. If someone is abusing your wife on the street, at least in the southern half of the nation, people are going to stop and assist." .[/QUOTE]

I can't speak for everyone in the northern half of the nation but I'd like to think most would help also.

·
Registered
14 Posts
you may want to also check your other state laws like coming within so many feet of a school with a loaded firearm. there are other laws that may come into play.

·
Cat Herder
1,643 Posts
Constitutional (CCDW) Carry in Kentucky started this summer. I am still renewing my CCDW permit I have had for many years, since reciprocity becomes an issue when you travel.

I think we can still open carry also.
We can still open carry in Kentucky. I always CC, but have seen others do it. It doesn't get much attention in KY unless you are in one of the bigger cities.

Let's face it, in Kentucky it isn't too uncommon to see gun racks in truck windows still, and not just for hanging hats on.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The police carry guns to protect themselves not us. They actually have no legal obligation to protect any individual. Sometimes you have to count on only yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
OldGringo quote
"What makes the world better is God made a lot of good people. If someone is abusing your wife on the street, at least in the southern half of the nation, people are going to stop and assist." .
I can't speak for everyone in the northern half of the nation but I'd like to think most would help also.[/QUOTE]

The sad thing is a bunch of people and many on here say their firearm is for their protection only. They arent "getting involved".

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
This is a good thread that should prompt people to study the law, in the least their local law.
Unfortunately some folks purchase a firearm with little more thought than owning a toaster.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not so sad that that mindset won't be breeding...the mindset that justifies you dying so he can spend your three dollars, as well as the mindset that sanctions killing officers doing their duty rather than meekly taking the punishment deserved for a mistake. A lot of legal terms and phraseology need to be done away with or really examined more closely, but "thin the herd" might need to become a political platform. It ain't gettin' no better out there, folks.

·
Registered
253 Posts
It has been ruled, SCOTUS I think, that the police have a duty to society at large so to speak but not to individuals. This happened after some people sued their PD because they didn't get there soon enough. This may go back to the 90s though, it's been awhile.
Best,
Rob

·
Registered
65 Posts
When you are seconds away from needing protection, law enforcement officers are 15 minutes away. Most officers have a protection mentality, they just can’t be everywhere.
Every person is responsible for their own safety. Most officers in my state would try to give you good advise if you are forced to defend yourself.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts