Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I have read the good advice above and your response. I agree with the advice, and I also understand your trepidation. So, if that is your position, I am not going to judge or offer similar advice, even if I see it as good advice.

How about this? Do you have a friend or family member that shoots, or does the place you shoot have any leagues? Make plans with a friend. That way it’s there, it’s scheduled, and you have the incentive. That might be just that little kick you need to get you moving in the direction you want to go. Or go buy yourself a new rifle. Then you have a reason to go to the range. You need to go shoot it, break it in, then you need to develop or find the right load for it, then make sure it’s ready for hunting season. Just find that reason to take the first steps out the door. But I recommend the friend or family member.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
242 Posts
Charlie K, I've been there, thirty years ago. The black dog followed me around. Details are unimportant. Doctors wanted me to start drugs and other personality-changing stuff. I said no, and spent a long time finding myself among friends, my work, and and lifestyle changes. I'm happy now. Next birthday is 70, and I like waking up every day, even with new life stresses from covid and such now.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,287 Posts
Talk to your pastor, priest, minister, deacon, someone who can provide spiritual advice.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Mid 30's. Now I understand. My apologies for speaking the truth. You'll be okay. Here's a trophy.
Did you really start with a participation trophy opening salvo? Doesn't at least one of the Hague Conventions frown upon that?

All joking aside, Bonka, I appreciate someone who can get straight to the point and say what needs to be said, rather than tiptoeing around the matter. Sometimes straight, brutal honesty is the best approach to take, and often it involves less words to get from Point A to Point B.

Now onto the rest of the message. There are a lot of things in my life that I'm very grateful for. Starting with the fact that while I was born in the millennial age range, I wasn't raised like most millennials to believe life is going to be perfect and without problems now and then. Which was very good because there's been a good number of them since an early age.

I'm thankful for the good health I have, because I know it could've easily gone otherwise.

I'm thankful for the knowledge I've gotten on the job in this business, which can easily amount to being able to do several hundred dollars worth of home repairs on my own, putting me at an advantage over some since I know how to do basic wiring, identifying the common problems with an air conditioner, build a custom lamp, replumbing water supply lines, the proper angle and size for drain lines, and the exceedingly basic but apparently elusive knowledge of how to use a plunger, among other things. You'd be amazed/horrified at how many calls we get that can be solved with just a bit of vigorous plunging.

I'm thankful that I managed to get through college without incurring even a dime in student loans that needed to be paid back, or anything having to come out of savings since we applied for school grants. I'm also thankful I didn't go for useless degrees that have no value in the real world.

I'm thankful for my present financial standing and the savings I currently have, as it's allowed me to provide assistance to several other people in need, as well as buy most of my own property without loans.

I'm thankful that I wasn't raised with the latest and most popular toys like other kids my age, as it taught me how to make do with what I had, how to improvise, and how to get creative and figure out how to build stuff I wanted but couldn't otherwise get.

I'm thankful that I wasn't raised on computer systems, which I attribute to a great deal of my positive current position in life. I have no idea just how many social media platforms there are currently, and I'm so very thankful for that. I hadn't even heard of twitter until five years ago, and when I hear "tablet" the first thing that comes to my mind is a paper notebook with a stiff cardboard back and pen/pencil.

I'm thankful we weren't rich when I was born, as it taught me how to not only be resourceful, but how to budget money for maximum effectiveness. If you aren't opposed to owning secondhand you can get really great deals for very little, and get years of service. Outside of certain situations and circumstances there's no need to buy new just for the sake of having new.

This one might sound a bit millennial, but I'm glad I didn't have a video game system while growing up. My entertainment at a young age required hand/eye coordination and an understanding of basic physics like weight, balance, and weight distribution. It taught me a lot, and spared me from experiencing so many of the hangups associated with video game addiction at a young age.

I'm thankful that even though I have a temper, I have a lot of control over it and I'm not prone to committing violent acts simply because I'm upset. I attribute that one to God. I look around me and just shudder at the folks who think they're entitled to physically assault others because of the hat they wear, or not liking what they say.

I'm thankful I never became addicted to any substances, legal or otherwise. Although I'm ashamed to admit a big part of that was due to my fear of needles from an early age, and finding out a lot of drugs had to be taken intravenously. Even if my parents hadn't given me the message, that in itself did more than enough to sell me on the idea of staying clean.

I'm thankful that life isn't perfect, because that means there's always room for improvement, either as something to physically pursue, or something to dream about pursuing so you have goals to motivate you for later in life. If we didn't have things to be displeased with, life would get pretty dull and stagnant.

Bit of a ramble there, but the point is there's a lot to my life I'm both grateful and thankful for. Yes, there's stuff I'd like to change, but I recognize it's mostly minor stuff that doesn't play a huge part otherwise.

Looking back at the initial post I guess it was kinda heavy on the melodrama, but at the time it felt like an accurate description of the situation. I can willingly contribute a great deal of time and effort to helping other people with their problems and situations, even if it involves a 4 AM call in the middle of winter because a furnace has gone out and the people are cold. I've even done stuff that wasn't required of me, stuff I knew I wouldn't get paid or recognized for, simply because it's the decent thing to do.

Honestly, that willingness to help has extended even to my firearm purchases. About half of what I've purchased over the years has been stuff I didn't even want for myself. In the wake of hurricane Katrina when the thin veneer of society had broken down, neighbors were helping neighbors protect one another. So here and there I've been buying extra stuff on the basis that, if natural disaster ever struck and we found ourselves in the same situation, I'd have stuff on hand for helping out our neighbors in the same manner.

But when it comes to doing something purely for myself, something that doesn't really benefit anyone but myself, that's another matter entirely and that same motivation to help others simply isn't present.

·
Super Moderator
4,043 Posts
IMO your self reflection is pretty good. You'll be okay. I liked the Hague Convention crack too.

·
Count Ursunk
3,243 Posts
Stop and listen a moment before you presume the answer to a problem. Allow our Heavenly Father to get his word in and give you peace and confidence in your life. He won't let it consume your thoughts if you trust in his ability to do so. Good luck and God be with you.

·
Premium Member
Support Veterans
2,530 Posts
All I can append is I have gone through this too on several levels. After I lost my son in 2015 I could not face getting back out for anything let alone getting to the range. It took x3 or x4 years before I could bring myself to get back into shooting because it reminded me of time spent together. Two and a half years ago I just decided to start back for exercise and to get training with semi autos. I used the excuse that for safety reasons I needed to practice and train. I used the excuse that I had to learn how to shoot something other than my revolvers and 1911's. I used the excuse that to be a better person for my wife, daughter and granddaughter I had to get off my butt and get out. So I did. I joined a great range and club. Found this forum and began the life a old new shooter. Just do what you can to get out and become a safe and knowledgeable shooter. If you failed one week with not getting range time then take time the next week. We all have freaking excuses and we all deal with them different. I now look on range time as therapy for me and it is. It now reminds of the good times spent target shooting in the UP of Michigan and going to Camp Perry in Ohio with my son. I get around mostly good people and after getting into rimfire I am learning new shooting skills.
*For the OP Charlie_K ->sometimes all of us need to stop what we are doing and ask for help. You have received some very good advice here. Take a breather and make sure you get this sorted out now. There are no excuses left if you do not take care of yourself. They run out very fast and so does time. Your wasting it and you can never get that time back.
Good luck and God Speed little brother. I wish you the best!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
All I can append is I have gone through this too on several levels. After I lost my son in 2015 I could not face getting back out for anything let alone getting to the range. It took x3 or x4 years before I could bring myself to get back into shooting because it reminded me of time spent together. Two and a half years ago I just decided to start back for exercise and to get training with semi autos. I used the excuse that for safety reasons I needed to practice and train. I used the excuse that I had to learn how to shoot something other than my revolvers and 1911's. I used the excuse that to be a better person for my wife, daughter and granddaughter I had to get off my butt and get out. So I did. I joined a great range and club. Found this forum and began the life a old new shooter. Just do what you can to get out and become a safe and knowledgeable shooter. If you failed one week with not getting range time then take time the next week. We all have freaking excuses and we all deal with them different. I now look on range time as therapy for me and it is. It now reminds of the good times spent target shooting in the UP of Michigan and going to Camp Perry in Ohio with my son. I get around mostly good people and after getting into rimfire I am learning new shooting skills.
*For the OP Charlie_K ->sometimes all of us need to stop what we are doing and ask for help. You have received some very good advice here. Take a breather and make sure you get this sorted out now. There are no excuses left if you do not take care of yourself. They run out very fast and so does time. Your wasting it and you can never get that time back.
Good luck and God Speed little brother. I wish you the best!
Well, Rick, it certainly hasn't been for a lack of either trying or willing to get out and do some shooting. But it's been 57 weeks since the last time we managed to get out and do just that. If it hasn't been the weather not cooperating, it's been customers calling with work that they should've called for earlier in the week but just didn't, some family obligation that couldn't be gotten away from, or otherwise being sick.

But the biggest problem has been shooting locales. We have no actual shooting ranges within a reasonable distance, the furthest we can actually travel is 15 miles outside of town, because anything further requires far too much planning and coordination to be worthwhile when your weekends aren't your own and can be upended by a single call. We've asked every property owner we know, and in that 15 mile radius there's only two people willing to let us use their property for shooting. One is a cattle farmer and it has to be off season from November to April, and the other is more or less a dump. The grass is constantly overgrown, and it's prone to flooding with even minor amounts of rain. The last time we got out there was two weeks ago, the day after a measly half inch of rain, and the truck sank up to the bottom of its wheel rims in a limestone/clay mud slurry. We literally had to be towed back out of there and didn't get to do anything. There were two other places previously, but one closed down when the owner died, and the county bought up the other and closed it off to everyone.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Well for what it's worth here is some free and simple advice from "Doc" Wheely.

Try taking St. John's Wort. It is available over the counter, at about any drug store in the vitamin section. It helps me quite a bit, mellows my mood swings, and doesn't cost a whole lot.

Also take some vitamin D supplements. I think that helps as well. No valid scientific reason, but it just seems to help me. Plus some folks think keeping your vitamin D levels up helps ward off infections and such. Again, probably no valid study to confirm that, but I have not needed to take a sick day in nearly a year.

And lastly, and very importantly....TURN OFF THE "NEWS"! It is nothing but covid, covid, covid, pandemic, BLM, antifa, violence, and politics these days. That would depress a hyena.

Try these 3 simple steps. I bet you will notice a difference within the a week.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Well for what it's worth here is some free and simple advice from "Doc" Wheely.

Try taking St. John's Wort. It is available over the counter, at about any drug store in the vitamin section. It helps me quite a bit, mellows my mood swings, and doesn't cost a whole lot.

Also take some vitamin D supplements. I think that helps as well. No valid scientific reason, but it just seems to help me. Plus some folks think keeping your vitamin D levels up helps ward off infections and such. Again, probably no valid study to confirm that, but I have not needed to take a sick day in nearly a year.

And lastly, and very importantly....TURN OFF THE "NEWS"! It is nothing but covid, covid, covid, pandemic, BLM, antifa, violence, and politics these days. That would depress a hyena.

Try these 3 simple steps. I bet you will notice a difference within the a week.
Wheely you have you idea how very, very much I'd like to follow that last piece of advice. But at the moment we're involved in the middle of a war that's being waged on our very own soil, in our very own neighborhoods. Don't we need to know who the enemy is and what their latest method of attack is? We have domestic terrorists tearing down national monuments/symbols because they don't like them, elected officials who are condoning such and proving themselves to be terrorist sympathizers, and the madness is spreading to areas where such actions would get said terrorists killed in response.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Well the latest complication in my shooting activity isn't good, and there's not much I can do about it. The one venue we have access to is presently flooded from three inches of overnight rain.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Wheely you have you idea how very, very much I'd like to follow that last piece of advice. But at the moment we're involved in the middle of a war that's being waged on our very own soil, in our very own neighborhoods. Don't we need to know who the enemy is and what their latest method of attack is? We have domestic terrorists tearing down national monuments/symbols because they don't like them, elected officials who are condoning such and proving themselves to be terrorist sympathizers, and the madness is spreading to areas where such actions would get said terrorists killed in response.
Knowing our enemies is important, I guess. But soaking ourselves in bad news delivered by obviously biased sources, from all sides of the issues, only serves to stir up emotions that keep us tuned in to more of the same. The result causes us (emotional) harm while serving no practical benefit.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.